• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any love for the Moody Blues?

Abaddon9112

I'm a young guy, 22, so I missed the high days of "acid" rock by about 3 decades. But these guys are definitely one of my favorite groups of the 60s and early 70s. Seems they don't get much recognition these days, probably because the music isn't the macho, guitar-slinging hard rock of their contemporaries. But they were really incredible songwriters, instrumentalists, and arrangers. The music is a lot more introspective and philosophical than the average rock and roll band, but also a lot more lighthearted and accessible than most prog. They had a lot of hit singles, but I think the focus was really on the albums, which are every bit as well developed prog masterpieces as anything Pink Floyd or Yes did in my opinion. And they were also the soundtrack to an important time of self-discovery and growth that I went through after I graduated high school in 2010.

I recently found out that they actually played the Isle of Wight 1970 and the whole set was filmed. The concert proper starts about 20 minutes in to this video for anyone who might be interested.

Just thought I'd share one of my favorite old rock bands. May actually get to see these guys in concert later in the summer, which is awesome.

StuRdesign

........................Just thought I'd share one of my favorite old rock bands. May actually get to see these guys in concert later in the summer, which is awesome.

Great post! I'm quite a fan, not manic - saw them once on Ray Thomas's last tour before he retired due to ill-health I believe. I think they miss his harmonies and backing vox but the are an awesome stage act.
My favourite track ever is "Ride My See-Saw", which they kept till the last encore - apparently a tradition of theirs....fantastic!

kush06

Probably alot of love for them here.

I say meh. I'm a huge fan of 60's and 70's music but these guys never did much for me. I respect their talent but the music does nothing for me.

Twangmaster

Seen them a couple of times... once, just the Moodys, the second.. with an entire orchestra for an extremely long, very good show. When i was a kid, I took all their albums and taped them onto a Reel to reel tape. Nothing like just hitting play and having about 6 hours of un-interrupted Moodys.

:bong

Fuzzdog

I love the first 7 albums while Pinder was still in the band, not too keen on much after that when they went a bit too poppy and synth-driven for my tastes. Justin will always be one of my favourite guitarists - he's a perfect lesson in playing what's right for the song, and not a note more.

I was quite shocked when I heard that Justin makes pretty much nothing on most of the songs he wrote back then, due to being convinced that signing away his rights just before he joined the Moody Blues was the right thing to do.

Zandalf

I don't remember
A few months ago I had the Moody's cd Days Of Future Passed playing on the stereo. My 15 year-old daughter, who's very accepting of all the au courant female singers, etc. (& she's also already paid big bucks to see 1D & Justin Beeb...), was captivated by the music. Noticeably impressed, she was like, "Wow, nobody today is making music like this anymore"...

btw, Peak Hour on that album rocks! G'n'R shoulda done a cover in the 80's...

S. F. Sorrow

The shoes of The Moody Blues....

12745021554_cae43614c5_b.jpg

Always had a fondness of the 'On the Threshold of a Dream' LP

korby

In the 70's my friends brother used to buy all of their albums every 6 months so he could listen to them clean , he gave me one of his used sets , they are awesome for the thinking man rocker .

Trevordog

I love the first 7 albums while Pinder was still in the band, not too keen on much after that when they went a bit too poppy and synth-driven for my tastes. Justin will always be one of my favourite guitarists - he's a perfect lesson in playing what's right for the song, and not a note more.

I was quite shocked when I heard that Justin makes pretty much nothing on most of the songs he wrote back then, due to being convinced that signing away his rights just before he joined the Moody Blues was the right thing to do.

That's sad. It's probably why they still have to tour.
JH had a great sense of pitch. Even at the IOW Festival, played and sang right in tune. The backup vocals and the mellotron sometimes sounded a little out of tune.
I saw them at the Fillmore East, on a bill with Argent- great show.

StuRdesign

I first got interested in them watching this video about 12 years ago. I thought Ray Thomas was just so into it, the clothes and that Tele tone is amazing..............

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
Love the Moody Blues--a big part of my AM radio youth. "Question" is one of the great songs of that era. Justin said that "Nights In White Satin" came to him completely whole, and that the time it takes to sing it is basically the time it took him to write it.

chrisr777

I have seen them probably 15 times over the decades. Most recent was last year. They have never failed to put on a great show. Probably my favorite show was pure accident in the early 90's. I was sitting in a bar by myself having a glass of wine and reading a book since the wife and kids were out of town. A guy walked up to me and said I looked I would enjoy this. Then he handed me a ticket to see the Moody Blues at Universal. He was an employee and they gave free tickets to employees the day of the show if it was not sold out. It started in an hour and a half. I said thanks, finished my wine and got in the car. Being by myself, I was able to wander down to an empty seat about five rows up in the orchestra section and had a wonderful night watching the band with full orchestra.

A couple of crappy phone pics from last year

DustyRhodesJr

Justin is one of my favorite guitarists of all time.

I really like how they never gave up, they were considered fossils
by the 80's, but came through with a couple of big Top 40 hits in
the mid 80's, that were also great tunes.

I would love to see them in concert.

Pablomago

Back in the day people tripped to them as much as Pink Floyd. I still have most of the early albums on vinyl.

garryg99

I'm a young guy, 22, so I missed the high days of "acid" rock by about 3 decades. But these guys are definitely one of my favorite groups of the 60s and early 70s. Seems they don't get much recognition these days, probably because the music isn't the macho, guitar-slinging hard rock of their contemporaries. But they were really incredible songwriters, instrumentalists, and arrangers. The music is a lot more introspective and philosophical than the average rock and roll band, but also a lot more lighthearted and accessible than most prog. They had a lot of hit singles, but I think the focus was really on the albums, which are every bit as well developed prog masterpieces as anything Pink Floyd or Yes did in my opinion. And they were also the soundtrack to an important time of self-discovery and growth that I went through after I graduated high school in 2010.

I recently found out that they actually played the Isle of Wight 1970 and the whole set was filmed. The concert proper starts about 20 minutes in to this video for anyone who might be interested.

Just thought I'd share one of my favorite old rock bands. May actually get to see these guys in concert later in the summer, which is awesome.

It's a brave soul who plays a Mk II Mellotron live.

jtm622

It's a brave soul who plays a Mk II Mellotron live.

One of the bands I was in back in the day used a Mellotron - IIRC, it was a small Mark IV? model... The thing sounded pretty good (thru heavy reverb) on the "three violins" setting - it had just enough "wow and flutter" to make it totally distinct sounding (from actual live strings...) "Tempermental" as hell, though... When you flipped on the switch of that Mellotron, you were instantly branded as "Prog Rock..."

:)

winterblu

Silver Supporting Member
Great and original band. Last time I saw them was about 20 years ago and they did an excellent set, everything was damn near perfect.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom