Any love for the Peavey Valveking???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mvd18969, May 25, 2008.

1. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

In my quest to find a 2x12 combo with enough juice and versatility to play anything from Rockabilly to Metallica, I was looking at a 5150 combo and a Peavey Ultra combo. Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to make up my mind on which one I wanted and both of them got sold before I could pull the trigger on a deal. I want to cap the price at $500 so unless someone wants to ship for free, ebay is out of the question so I've been looking locally.
    I remember trying a 1x12 Peavey Valveking some time ago for a few mins in guitar center. I don't remember being too impressed with it so I never really considered it (the 2x12 version that is).
    I was in GC again last week for a few mins and I saw that they have a 2x12 version on the floor. I didn't have time to try it out but was thinking of doing so next week. Before I waste the $4 a gallon on gas, does anyone have any comments on the 2x12 valveking?? How does it compare to the 1x12 version? Will it get me into the 5150 high gain territory??
    Any feedback is appreciated!!

2. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I was in GC yesterday and used a Peavey Valveking to try out a telecaster. I must say I thought the clean channel was very nice. The OD channel was OK but I was playing at very low volume so it was not a valid test IMHO.
    The clean channel may be a great platform for use with pedals.
    sounded pretty good.

3. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

when I played through the 1x12 some time ago, I was actually trying a guitar so I wasn't really focusing on the amp. I think I do recall that the clean channel was not bad.

4. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

5. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Is the boost footswitchable?

6. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I think it would be.

7. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I actually came across this a couple of days ago and it sounds pretty good. Once he switched over to the lead channel, he focused mostly on lead playing; I would have liked to have heard some bottom heavy riffing/chording to get a feel for the bottom end response...

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Heard a cat playing one at a Festival a couple of weeks ago ...
    It sounded stellar ... I couldn't get over the fact that was what he was using ,,,
    I mean sounded really, really good ..

Well what can I say ...
    I luv my Classic 50, so I shouldn't have been surprised ...

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yeah it's not the most stellar sounding demo and the mic sounds like it is far away from the amp, as there is a lot of room sound. I thought it all sounded a little top-endy; but it might have been the way he set up his eq. Definitely no shortage of gain available. I still think it would be a good amp to buy though; just because of the price. It's only a little more expensive than the Bandit or the Special 212 which are outstanding sounding solid state amps IMHO. With a change of the speaker(s) and tubes - it'll probably really open it up; as this usually helps most Peavey valve amps - I'm sure lots of Classic 30 owners will probably attest to this.

10. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I think a lot of amps that get slagged would fair better in a festival setting. A lot of players are bedroom players and judge amps accordingly. Good to hear that an honest to goodness pro liked what he heard out of such an inexpensive amp.