• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Any love for the PRS DGT with a wrap tail bridge?

Chuckracer

Gold Supporting Member
And so he is. You see, mine just arrived here last week and was a bit of a mess. I gave the frets a quick polish, cause they were nasty, cleaned the board a bit and re-strung it. It wasn't staying in tune very well so I blocked the trem. I've been playing it but not as much as mu Suhr and thought "it's very cool but not the end of the world".
Well, today I went thru it properly - really cleaned the gunk off and oiled the fingerboard, polished the frets, cleaned and lubed the trem and strung it up with my favorite strings - Elixirs - and gave her a proper and careful set-up and Holy Moly!! It's a whole different animal! Now I REALLY get it! This thing is a blast and yes, perhaps all anyone really needs!

So yes, hardtail and stop tail DGT's (DGS? DGH?) are cool and fill a niche, but not as cool as the original.

Last edited:

JackStraw12

How did you block it? I used a Tremol-No for awhile and it was okay, would an acoustic saddle under the bridge do the trick?

ProfRhino

How did you block it? I used a Tremol-No for awhile and it was okay, would an acoustic saddle under the bridge do the trick?
on Strats I always used two small wood wedges between block and cavity.
low tech, easily reversible, best possible tone transfer, no risk of finish damage - works for me. :dunno
on a PRS I never felt the need, but ymmv.
Rhino

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
But part of makes the DGT special is the trem in terms of tone. I like tremolo-nos.
The Trem and frets and he shaves the neck off a little on the higher side.
otherwise it’s a McCarty.
Anyone knows how different are McCarty to a custom 22?

ProfRhino

The Trem and frets and he shaves the neck off a little on the higher side.
otherwise it’s a McCarty.
Anyone knows how different are McCarty to a custom 22?
fwiw, I think the DGT profile is symmetric, unlike the current 594 "pattern vintage" - very slight tendency towards a V, aka minimally shaved off shoulders.
personally, I feel the difference to a pattern or w/f profile is pretty subtle, some others think it's a big deal - decide for yourself. :dunno

main differences (original) McCarty / Custom 22 hardtail :
- substantially deeper mahogany portion of the body > bigger tone, almost LP vs SG (not quite, but you get the idea)
- PUs are more PAFish, 3 way + P/P split vs "clever" 5 way
- no locking tuners on the McCarty
- McCarty always has w/f profile, Custom varies

post ca 2005, various special runs and spec changes require to compare two particular guitars, the above list is mostly valid up to 2005.
the deeper body remained the only constant factor, afaics.

tl;dr :

why bother with a CU22, when you can get a McCarty ? :D
and (subjectively speaking, not quite as final) :
why bother with a McCarty, when you can have a DGT ? :cool:

all ime, imho, ymmv,
Rhino

JPenn

although i've never owned a dgt hardtail, i did own mccartys with and without a trem. the wraptail had more mids to it. i preferred the trem models, they were just more of what i was looking for. a little more zing and clarity.

these were with the stock mccarty pickups. those were pretty mid-heavy, so it may not be the same with newer prs pickups or aftermarket.

ProfRhino

although i've never owned a dgt hardtail, i did own mccartys with and without a trem. the wraptail had more mids to it. i preferred the trem models, they were just more of what i was looking for. a little more zing and clarity.

these were with the stock mccarty pickups. those were pretty mid-heavy, so it may not be the same with newer prs pickups or aftermarket.
from a slightly different angle, my SC Ted with classic McCarty wraparound definitely has a bit of a Telecaster vibe mixed in, compared to the otherwise very similar SC58.
there are lots of players who prefer Teles over Strats, so they might also pick a hardtail McCarty over a DGT.

this is PRS royalty, can't really go wrong with either model, but they are different enough to try and make an informed decision.
cos ymmv,
Rhino

Trending Topics