Any Love for the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benderman, May 1, 2016.

1. benderman

benderman Member

Just picked one up a Guitar Center today test drove it and it sounds pretty good gonna be using it for slap delay . Anybody own one of these just wanted to know your thoughts on it, for the price tag it I think it's a great little pedal it's built like a tank .

2. The Villano Dude

The Villano Dude Member

I really dig mine so far. Between that and the new SD Palladium, I am excited for their offerings.

Anyhow, yes, the VT is built like a tank and has some pretty slick sounds. I don't think I've yet to explore everything it has to offer but so far, so good. Can't beat the price either!

OT but, I think this and the Digitech Obscura don't get nearly all of the credit they deserve.

Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  3. JMMP1

JMMP1 Member

I love mine. I believe it is the best value analog delay you can buy, especially if you want to do fun things like apply effects to only your delay signal, and have decent control of the modulation. For my uses, its modulation controls were more useful than the panther cub I had, as the cub tended to be too modulated with the controls half way up.

Oh! And don't forget the cool flashing light!

la noise likes this.
  4. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

I dig it. I like it better than the Carbon Copy and the Malekko 616. The modulation is very controllable without the need to access trim pots like on the Carbon Copy, and doesn't go over the top like the Malekko. The delays sound warm, but not as dark or muddy as the CC. It's a very tasteful sounding analogue delay if you get my meaning.

lowpaygigs likes this.
  5. Sean413

Sean413 Member

I need to try one of these soon! I've been using the echo puss but I really wanna see if The vt can get that deep mod sound.

6. hazmat33

hazmat33 Member

Another fan here. I use it along w a BOSS RE-20 for my delay needs. I use the VT for long delays w lots of modulation (rate low, depth high).

7. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I've got one being shipped to me right now. Looking forward to trying it out.

8. benderman

benderman Member

Great thanks for the feeback keep em' coming !!

9. Chugs

Chugs Member

The VT sounds great. I like it better than my Carbon Copy.

Astronaut FX likes this.
  10. 5150

5150 Member

Yep, way better than the Carbon Copy. I have two on my board set to short and long delay times. A great value for great sounds and above all, ease of use. Does not color your base tone like the Carbon Copy does. Warm analog, yet clear in the mix. Repeats aren't grainy like so many others. Love 'em!

I use Xotic knob covers for the LED knobs so the light is not as obtrusive in the dark - the top of the knob remains visible. Works very well. The lights make it very easy to tweak delay time on the fly.

UPDATE 11/2016: I've since sold mine after finding that I prefer crisp, clean repeats and no coloring of tone at all - I now use digital delay only. I would still recommend the Vapor Trail however, to those that are looking for a great analog delay. I still think it easily beats the much-coveted MXR Carbon Copy.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  11. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

i traded for one based on the amazing feature set.

its sound is the equivalent of a blank, white piece of paper. totally void of any characteristic or a certain quality that made it fun to play.
    i tried, i really did. i wanted to like it. it had less personality than the coldest digital delay ive owned.

i love all types of delay voicings- dark mushy like DMM, crystal clear HIFI repeats like boss's delays, and many other delays ive used. this is one of the few that was neither crisp, clear repeats, not rounded off repeats as is typical in the desirable analogs. the VT repeats are just sort of there, not bright, not warm. just blah.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  12. 5150

5150 Member

How fascinating to see how one person's favorite is another person's bland! I really like the VT, yet I am curious to hear what you find a better alternative at the same price point. Thanks!

13. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I have one and agree that it's an improvement in every way on the Carbon Copy.

14. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

i have many that i prefer- some more expensive, some less. i find the DMM, the boss DD3/ DD7, catalinbread belle epoch, and almost all of the 10- 12 delay models on the zoom ms50g far preferable to the VT.

15. rutxer

rutxer Member

Had one. Liked how it sounded, but it is big and that flashing light annoyed the heck out of me, I know it's a matter of taste, it just wasn't mine.

Got replaced by a VFE Yodeler.

16. benderman

benderman Member

17. Chugs

Chugs Member

Not a fan of flashing lights either. I replaced the clear knob with a black one. Flashing problem solved!

18. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Supporting Member

i like mine a lot

i covered that flashing knob with some blue duct tape...

19. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

Can the Vapor Trail get a nice modulated sound along the lines of a DMM? None of the demos I've watched seem to go through the modulation controls all that extensively. Can it get in the ballpark of Edge guitar tones?

20. papersoul

papersoul Member

One of my favorite analog, modulated delays are the Malekko 616 MkII regular and dark delays because the chorus is gorgeous. I wish the VT had as strong a delay as the Malekkos. Malekko delays are u per smooth.
    The Vapor Trail just has some magic to it. When I first played one with my gear, it was so inspiring and still is, something about it makes me want to play. Inspiring. Perfect warm, clear, slightly dark repeats. I love how you don't have to worry about too dark or too bright, they nailed it. Very, very lively delay. Right away it destroyed my Carbon Copy. Everything sounds bigger and better with the VT. The perfect shimmer from the chorus.
    I still like my Malekkos for that chorus but the VT does have this perfect subtle shimmery modulation.