Any love for the Sparkle Drive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Davy Jones, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Member

This was one of the first ODs I bought and althought I liked it, I stupidly sold it because it wasn't boutique, and therefore couldn't be any good. I was so stupid back then.

Since then I have gone through alot of OD pedals and you know...I still think the Sparkle is as good as anything out there, including things that cost 3 or 4 times as much.

Brilliant pedal.

2. pappafox

pappafox Member

Mine has been on my board for a few years. I had it modded by R. Keeley. I think it sounds fantastic. I use it as a very mild OD, gain@ 9:00/blend@3:00. It adds just the right "stuff" for a clean, sparkling grind (I leave it on all the time). I goose it with a Dyna Red for crunch, and use a Red Snapper after it for soloing.

BTW, I'm playing a C/S 60's Strat (loaded with Fralin V/Hots) into a 50 watt Marshall.

Hope this helps,
    Jimbo

3. stratoquack

stratoquack Supporting Member

My favorite pedal. I've stuck with it through 3 bad switches and all. I wanted to buy something else to have for a backup and bought the HBE Power Screamer. Although that is a cool pedal, it just isn't the Sparkle Drive. I have a Timmy on order now just out of curiosity of all the hype here. Knock on wood, my SD hasn't malfunctioned in over a year now, and if it does, John aycock sent me 3 extra switches last time.

4. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    I love mine. I didn't even bother with VooDoo Labs when the switch went south. I had an extra switch laying around - a known good switch - and modified the circuit board to allow my switch to fit in there.
    No problems and I don't expect any.
    SD is an awesome pedal!

5. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I love mine. I replaced my Klon with it after 10+ years with the Klon. I use it for a low OD/clean boost thing. Killer pedal. I've often thought about having the Keeley tweak, but why? It sounds great as it stands. I have a Tim, too, and the SD still stays on my board.

6. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i had a sparkledrive for about five years. i could never find any use for the drive settings. i only used it as a clean boost. i was never too impressed with it. i now run a BYOC tubescreamer, and a BYOC triboost. i get WAY better tone now then back then.

7. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Member

It is a pretty unique design...and cheap too.

8. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

If I find one used I reckon' I'll get a Keeley mod done.

I think a modded Sparkledrive would be a good back-up pedal that'd cover quite a few bases.

9. david eaton

david eaton Member

I use a sparkle drive all the time for crunch type rhythm. I love the clean mix feature, really makes for a versatile pedal. Between it and the Visual Sound Rt. 66 I've got all the overdrive I want.

10. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Had 3 at different times. Sold 'em all. Really miss 'em. Gotta stop doing that.:NUTS

11. jgyn

jgyn Member

I love mine, mostly for the 'clean' feature, which is a feature I'd like in all pedals!

12. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Great pedal. Still have mine, all stock.

It is the only pedal that does what it does with the clean blend and all. Great and authentic SRV tone if set right.

:AOK

13. Esquirej

Esquirej Member

Checking the forum to see if anyone had anything to say about the Sparkle Drive and low and behold! Today y'all are talkin' about it.

First off, let me say I went and tried one out today. I play alot of chicken pickin' stuff and believe it or not, up to this point, I've been using a Dano Wasabi overdrive as my drive pedal...because of one particular feature: The ability to blend pure amp tone with the pedal's drive.

I found out today that the sparkle drive gives me an even more advanced ability to do that. I LOVED IT!!

Anyways...it's a pleasure to meet y'all. It's very cool to find an extremely active board of pedal/amp/guitar enthusiasts. Expect to see me frequent this place alot!

Take care,
    J Juliano
    www.littlenashvillemusic.com

14. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

It's on my current board. It's a very versitile pedal, and that's why it's on my board.

[​IMG]

15. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Is the drive section of the Sparkle Drive TS based?

16. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I'm happy with my Sparkle Drive too. It been on my board about a year - after it kicked off my Analogman modded SD-1. I use it more as a clean boost with slight gain too. It does have TS based overdrive, but it really sounds different because of the clean blend feature. I do tend to keep the tone down a touch to prevent is from being too harsh or trebly. It is definitely pretty smooth yet retains bite. I also modded the switch when it was basically new as it had problems from the start. I got a small switch from Small Bear and wired that to the circuit board which has worked great since. I think that is the biggest complaint for VL pedals, they really should fix the switch issues they have.

17. whowasthursday

whowasthursday Member

The Sparkle Drive was the first pedal I ever bought ($60 used), and still perhaps my favorite.
    The clean knob makes it a great deal...

The switch on mine went out too, and they replaced it.

18. Jim L

Jim L Member

Although I haven't played out in over a year - starting a family seemed to have SOMETHING to do with that! :messedup the Sparkle Drive was my favorite. Like others have said here... it's the ability to mix back in the clean tone so as to not lose the highs. I played blues and kept my tone clean, so I used the SD more as a boost, or to give me a slight amount of hair. Sounded great in front of my Pro Reverb, Holland Lil Jimi, or Peavey Delta Blues (although I had to be more careful when using my strat and Delta Blues, as the amp tends to be a bit more harsh that the other amps).

However, the switch is going on it. Not a big deal at the moment, as my gear is collecting dust these days... but I will need to fix it at some point, as it's a great Boost/OD, especially for the $$ compared to the boooootiques.

19. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Great pedal ! Had it modded by Keeley but i'm not sure of that was necessary since I don't use that much gain. The switch is broken and I have to replace it. Would be nice to have a smallbox boutique-version with decent switch.

20. BarryBlue

BarryBlue Member

ha ha besides a fender pedal tuner My sparkle drive is the only pedal
    I use (i have reverb and vibr) on my amp 63 a vibroverb RI but to get an overdriven strat sound at a lower volume this pedal is my favorite. Not crazy about the construction My first 1 lasted 6 weeks or so before the bypass was a lil intermittent but it sounded so good I played it a couple nights a week for over a year . then bought a new one which has lasted almost a year and now its gettin a lil squirrely but for that tone 120$ a year is not that much