Any love for The Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Wiz-ski, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

Man, it seems like whenever I get sick of whatever new music is out there, I always find my way back to this record. Spun this CD all weekend - superb songwriting, tasteful playing, and an all around great sounding record.

I remember when "One Headlight" was being played ad nauseum on the radio at the time and it just made me appreciate that tune even more. Another high point on the CD for me is "Bleeders".

Any love for the Wallflowers? What's good after BDTH? I think I have the record after that one, but never really connected with it.

2. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

If you like that record, you should check out the self-titled debut. It's even better, IMO.

The stuff they put out after BDTH I couldn't really bond with either.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I had the same experience. But BDTH is one of the few must-have cds from the 90s, IMO.

4. whitehall

whitehall Member

+1 . Didn't know they were even still a band. I thought I saw an ad for Jacob playing as a solo awhile back.

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Michael Ward is HOT on the indie scene at the moment - I saw him in an interview for Elvis Costello's show Spectacle, and what an odd confluence, it was like "This is Your Life" for M.Ward because Zooey Deschanel (She and Him), Jakob Dylan (Wallflowers) and Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley) were all interviewed by Elvis too, the common thread being M.Ward. Ward's work on Bringing Down the Horse was very tasteful and haunting, reminded me of Jennifer Turner's work on Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily.

6. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

Killer album...love it

7. hcole

hcole Member

The guitarist from the Wallflowers was Michael Ward, M.Ward, the guy "hot on the indie scene", is Matt Ward.

8. 8Painting

8Painting Member

The B3 in Bleeders is AWESOME

I really love this album.

9. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I've been listening to this album for the past week too! I know what you are saying, it's the same for me...when I get sick of everyday music I go grab this album. Michael Ward's playing on it is awesome. Great album. I've seen them several times live, and they are great live too.

Check out Jacob's solo album, a little different than BDTH, but a good album.

10. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

I've seen them live once...they did a killer cover of "Raspberry Beret"

11. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I listen to this record pretty often actually - the way the guitars are used to create sonic texture has been quite influential for me as I've been called to play with other singer/songwriters or bands in a similar vein. Some of the songwriting on this record aggravates me a little as it can be a bit forced at times, but all in all I have to listen to this at least once every couple months. For a while it was my Monday record. And seeing how it's Monday, and I haven't listened to it in a month or so, it looks like you just gave me the first album on today's playlist.

12. Jahn

Wait, so the guy from She and Him is...Matt Ward? Damn confusing indie scene!

Oh and I googled Michael Ward - didn't know he's doing stuff now with Ben Harper, who is, yep, hot on the indie scene. Sheesh I can't keep up!

13. Prairie Belt

Prairie Belt Supporting Member

Isn't Mike Campbell on a lot of that album? I remember reading that he played the slide part on One Headlight and/or 5th Avenue Heartache¬Ö

14. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

They were outstanding. Great tunes, GREAT tone...seemed like "REAL" music. Both those first two CD's are always in play on my iPod.

To be honest, I feel the same way about Midnight Oil (almost any), Tom Petty (Wildflowers is OUTSTANDING!!) and maybe some Sheryl Crow.

15. Jahn

Cool, looked up 6th Avenue Heartache and...

Anyway, the main guitar part was played by Mike Campbell of The Heartbreakers (Tom Petty’s band). According to Songfacts.com (great site!):

Producer T-Bone Burnett is the one who wanted Campbell to play on this. Campbell didn’t have time to come to the studio, so Burnett sent him the tape, which had some open tracks along with the basic rhythm track. Mike has a studio in his house, and one afternoon when he had a few hours to spare, he plugged in his guitar, came up with a few parts, doubled a couple of things, and got a sound he liked. He sent the tape back to Burnett, and the next thing he knew, Burnett called to tell him it came out really good, and the song was on the radio with his tracks. He never even met the guys in The Wallflowers.
    Mike Campbell goes on to explain in an interview for Songfacts.com:

“I really like the one guitar line in there, it was very George Harrison sounding and I was real proud of it when I got the sound in the studio, so I was glad they used it. The funny thing is, later, I ran into George. He had a real whimsical, cynical kind of thing - he looked at me and goes, ‘You know, I heard that record on the radio - you’re doing me now?’ He said it with a little chuckle.”

16. Prairie Belt

Prairie Belt Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for looking that up!

17. tonefordays

tonefordays Member

This is my biggest complaint with this record. The band's overall sound is fantastic here, but sometimes the writing seems a bit too limited. The record was almost overproduced, but just enough to stay tasteful. I think the problem they suffered from after this record was they didn't know when to say when. Everything sounded like a radio single, or an attempt at one anyway. BDTH had a really great soul vibe that they never seemed to recapture. I'm a big fan of certain aspects of this record, but it's always one that I feel conflicted about.

18. Aldo

Aldo Member

Love that album. I didn't know Mike Cambell played on a track, very cool. I saw Jakob Dylans new band on tv the other night & he had Audley Freed w/him.

19. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

I love these tracks:

"Three Marlenas"
    ""One Headlight"
    "6th avenue"
    ""The Difference"

Also this album came out when I was first learning to play guitar and I would strum along to "Josephine" all the time.

20. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Lightning in a bottle with that CD. I love it. I have the next one with sleepwalker, not bad but not the same.

Michael Ward was a big loss I think when he left.