Any love here for CHARVEL and JACKSON guitars ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rock Fella, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I am sorely tempted to buy a USA Jackson Soloist or a Charvel Model 6 , i know its pointy headstock, big whammy , truncheon down the spandex pants 1980s type of guitar, but im waiting on delivery of my peavey 6505 120 watt high gain tube head , so why not go the whole hog :dude

Ive got my beloved R9 and the seismic clout of the 6505 screaming at gigs with a died in the ass metal guitar such as soloist or model 6 is an attractive proposition to me.

whats the feeling on the board, i love those guitars, only worry i have is , is the floyd trem a real pain in the butt or is something perfectly livable with.

where can you get model 6`s and soloists at good prices ? ive seen some real crap on ebay.

ta
    jimmy

2. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I love the look, the tones, the way they stay in tune (with a Floyd), the awesome fretwork, and the way they make me play (it takes me back to the 80s!). Great, great guitars, and I've had a number - USA Soloist Custom, USA Soloist Archtop, USA RR, plus various Charvels - over the years.

My only problem with them is that I like a beefier neck with a more rounded back. The thin neck with the flat back is something I just couldn't come to terms with, no matter how hard I tried.

I wish they had an option to get a medium C vintage neck on them!

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

my R9 has a chunky one piece neck which i adore so i hear ya about the skinny neck shred gtrs, its more the floyd that im curious about, ive read "pain in the ass" about em as much as folks gushing with praise.:confused:

4. 59burst

They can be a pain if they are set up to float and you break a string - everything goes out of tune. And, dealing with an allen wrench can be a pain - they get lost easily.

But, they stay in tune extremely well. I had great luck with them. I hardly ever break strings, so that might tip the scales in my favor...

But, I must say, I had a PRS CU24 in the 80s that I custom ordered with trem up-routing. With the HFS and vintage bass pickups, it was the ultimate metal machine, and it stayed in tune as well as any of my Jacksons or Jems!!! And the neck was rounded! In fact, getting that guitar made me sell most of my shred guitars.

So, sorry about the thread de-rail. Summary: I love Jacksons and Charvels, Floyds worked well for me, but they take more work than some people may be used to.

5. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

[​IMG]

maybe this is why i play a LP :D

6. billywade

billywade Member

IMHO for what it is nothing beats a Charvel/Jackson. Just remember it's not an R9. I think Ibanez makes some nice stuff and so do several other makers. If shred isn't necessarily making a comeback shred type guitars definately are. If you're an R9 player you may be able to grab a San Dimas era guitar in your price range and I think those most likely have a lot of room for appreciation. The Ontario guitars are nice too and although they don't have the perceived mojo of the SD stuff there are lots of nice ones. If you're looking on more of a budget the MIJ guitars can be had for quite a bit less. Just be careful some of their models are made in wherever (I think India) and aren't the best IMO. I'm no expert but lots of Jacksons will have a licensed trem called the JT-6 or something. I've owned several and have liked it as much as the OFR. I say it's on par with the Ibanez edge. I don't trem a lot but double locking trems really can't be beat when it comes to whammying. I like PRS/Mannmade and others as much as the next guy but not much bests a Floyd as far as I'm concerned. That being said I only have one double locker currently but it does get quite a bit of use. Yes they are a little more of a drag to get in tune when you change strings but in my experience they stay there if set up properly. Also plan on taking a few more minutes for string changes and yes you'll have to keep up with a pesky allen wrench or two. Good luck whatever you decide.

7. baald

baald Member

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I have a Charvel model 5 neck-thru and it is a very good guitar for anything with the appropriate pu choice. The looks have very little effect on the sound, don'tchaknow? The flattish back neck has pretty big shoulders so feels larger than expected. The Floyd can be stabilized by blocking, allowing down dives only. The overall fit and feel is terrific!

Its sound is somewhere..... between a strat and LP

9. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

10. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

looks great apart from the headstock which i think is an eyesore, i love the original headstock.:dude

11. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I've owned a whole bunch of J/C USA and import versions. For a shred/metal axe, they rock. My favorite imports are the Model 5 and the 750xl.

12. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

I hate Floyd's as well.I bought a Jackson SLS a while ago and it is an incredible guitar.Take the Floyd's off and Jacksons are fantastic guitars.

13. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Yeah, the headstock leaves sumthin to be desired. Give me an upturned original any day!
    :RoCkIn
    I tried a USA Soloist a wile ago. The fretboard was great, but the painted neck blew. It had a bum switch and was a bit of a one-trick pony, I thought.

I'd love to get a custom-shop Soloist someday, but I just can' t see spending 4Gs on a guitar.

14. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I love the Charvel Surfcaster :cool:.

(If you don't remember them, it's a hollowbody Rick-meets Jazzmaster, bolt-on neck - nice wide and rounded, with a flat fingerboard and big frets - usually with a Strat-style trem, and a combination of lipstick pickups and a bridge humbucker. And cool colors with pearloid pickguards.)

Apart from that, no... :)

15. 59burst

I'm not sure what you'd have to order to get to 4G -- a couple years ago, I custom ordered a Soloist Archtop - korina body (it was flamed korina), quilted maple top in a vintage burst, shark fin inlays, 24.75" scale length, Duncan JB and 59, some pickup switching scheme I came up with (coils-splitting, etc), and the final cost was in the mid-2G range.

It came out so well, the asked me if they could hang on to it for a while after it was completed so that they could display it at NAMM!

16. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I love Jacksons. I do not shred, and find them to be versatile guitars that are very well made.

I agree with you about Floyds and locking nuts though - they are a minor to real pain in the butt - but they perform fine once they are set up. I prefer a standard trem, with a graphite/roller nut and locking tuners. If you remove the locking nut on a Floyd guitar, it usually leaves an ugly gap, too. If I was gigging with a Floyd guitar and had to change strings frequently, it would probably drive me nuts.

I would base your decision on the value of the deal you are getting for the guitar, and how often you will be playing and changing strings - the better the deal and the less string changes, the less important the Floyd issue is.

Let us know what you end up doing! :cool:

17. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

The early neck-thru Jacksons are great bargains. Super expensive when they were new and a bit out of favor at the moment. You can't go wrong with a pre-'86 Floyd equipped Soloist. The best bang for the buck is probably with the early bolt-on Jacksons from '86-'87. If you dig you can find them in the $500 range, even with an original Floyd.

If you aren't into the trem. one of the new trem-lock devices can be very helpful. You can also get one with the dreaded Kahler and drop in a non-trem Kahler flat mount bridge w/o the need for modification.

18. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I'm going by list price you get by going to the Jackson Custom Shop web page. I realize that's more than what I would actually pay through a dealer. It's still high, but I should've done it before I bought 3 high-end Ibanezes. The problem back then was a lack of USA Jacksons in my area to try (besides a defective one) before ordering one. Nevermind the fact that the Jackson "dealer" was an absolute joke!

19. 59burst

I ordered mine through Brian Meader at Washington Music Center. I've done a few custom orders through him (various brands) and have had outstanding results each time.

20. hear and play

hear and play Member

+1