Any love here of original Dean Guitars...?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Timmo, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Timmo

Timmo Member

I'm just wondering if anyone here knows much about the original Deans that were produced from 1977 to 1985 I believe.
    I played one over the weekend that belongs to a friend and I was pleasantly surprised by it overall.
    This is what they call the 'Z model' which is basically a Gibson Explorer.
    Anyway, I was thinking I'd like to buy one but wanted to get some opinions/ thoughts/experiences etc., etc.
    Thanks in advance..............
    :)

2. 563

563 Guest

Haven't spent time with the old ones, but the Chafin Del Sol I got a few years back is stellar.

3. aquadog

aquadog Member

I also have had no experience with the original deans, but recently they have improved greatly- I was told by a dealer at west LA music that the brand was recently taken over by new management and has taken great strides in improving their quality once again.

4. Timmo

Timmo Member

I may have to look into the new Deans because doing a search on an original proved less than exciting.
    The new ones look very well made from the pics I've seen anyway.

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Funny - I always assumed they were trash because of the ads they used to do in Guitar Player. I figured if the guitar were any good, they wouldn't need the scantily clad (though obviously musically talented :rolleyes: ) babes to sell their guitars for them.

So reading ads for the new ones, obviously aiming for the high-end market, I'm still left with this impression of "who they trying to kid?".

Judging by advertising campaigns is pretty stupid, I guess. But I imagine they turned off as many buyers with those old ads as they sold guitars.

6. Timmo

Timmo Member

I too always thought those old ads with the babes were a bit over the top however, since playing one of those original Deans I will beg to differ with you. They weren't 'trying to kid' anyone. Their guitars kick(ed) ass!
    The babes in the ads may have been on "the trashy side" but the guitars are anything but.
    The one I played was Dean's version of a Les Paul and while the paint job was a little wild the guitar was even wilder. I'd put it up against ANY Les Paul I've ever played or owned................and that's a few.
    Hey, I'm as shocked as the next guy. :eek:

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The late 70s to early 80s Deans were the bomb! I played the Z, and owned an ML. Every bit as good as a Hamer of that same period, and better than any Gibson.

Just dump the Dimarzio pickups for something more substantial tonewise, and you're good to go!

8. Timmo

Timmo Member

Exactly right! "Better than any Gibson" but WHO KNEW! :D
    Oh yeah, this Dean obviously didn't have Dimarzios in it.
    I believe they were Duncans of some sort.

9. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I would have to say that the original USA Deans from the late '70s to early '80s are killer guitars. Much like USA Hamer guitars, are very underrated, well made USA guitars for the money. If you see one and you like the sound and feel, buy it!! When people find out what they're about, the price on these old ones will go up. Look at Dimebag Darrell did with a few old Dean USA ML guitars. He rocked the world with the old Dean guitars before his endorsement with Washburn.

Guitar George

10. t.glaze

t.glaze Member

I love old deans. I have a '78 z & a '79 v . i also just got a rescent black 25th anniversary cadillac, black with gold hardware. the cadillac is killer, but the old deans are still my favorites. Terry

11. Timmo

Timmo Member

The old Dean I played just had this vintage vibe to it with sustain for days and it just plain felt right you know. Great materials to start with I guess. It's build quality is unbeatable and I hated to put it down. That's usually the sign for me!
    Some great bands of the 70's and 80's played them and now I finally know why.
    They freakin' rock ! :dude

12. jayn

jayn Member

The old ones were great. When I was in high school, my ultimate guitar was a Z in tobacco sunburst...*swoon*. They were always just a bit out of my price range no matter what scheming I did. They have a great V shaped neck (or had, I guess my taste in neck shapes may have changed since then, but I recall them having pretty beefy necks).

13. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I bought a Dean Z back in 1980 & traded it a couple of months later for a 78 LP Custom & never looked back...

Just couldn't get used to the headstock shape LOL

:D

14. Timmo

Timmo Member

Really? The headstock was that big of a deal huh.
    Man, I could easily overlook that IF the guitar was a gem.
    Actually, I think the headstocks kick! :D