Any love out there for the TS808 anymore?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by homerayvaughan, Jul 19, 2006.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

With all the great new OD pedals being produced by (fill in favorite brand name here), does anyone still use an original (not reissue) TS9 or 808 or even a 10 anymore? Just curious if I was alone...with all it's "faults", it was still the standard by which several OD's are compared to.

2. Don L

Don L Member

I still use my original 808 to goose up Marshall/marshally amps for more saturation/lead. It does that better than any other pedal I've tried.

3. Pags

Pags Member

I've got a TS-10 on my board and I don't think I'll part with it as it only cost me $40 and does what I want it to. :AOK

4. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

Yep.
    I swap between an original TS-9, a Super Tube STL, and a TS-10; usually there is at least one of 'em on the board.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I don't use them live but I've got an 808, 2 TS9s, and SM10 and an ST10 and I love all of them. I really like them for a Fender set fairly clean as well, and to push another pedal for legato leads.

6. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I will use a TS-9 and stack it with a Hot Cake. Sounds amazing. I have a TS-808 that I picked up about 2 years ago thats in mint condition. So I don't use it. I just break it out for comparisons with other pedals. It is a very smooth overdrive compared to the TS-9.

7. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

How's the super tube sound compared to a TS-9 or TS-10?

8. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

I have an original 808, but I only use it at home. I still have the original box - which is pretty beat up, and the manual - which oddly enough is nearly pristine.

I use a reissue TS-9 that I modded to 808 spec on one of my boards & a SparkleDrive on the other. I still love a screamer... ;)

9. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

My Blues Devil fills that space (and a little more, as far as real estate) but I'll admit, nothing feels better in my hands than an original 808.

-Jon

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

Hell yes..... I have two 808's... (Ibanez and Maxon), a Landgraff DO which is like a hot rodded 808, and a Klon which takes on an 808 type of OD with the gain maxed.

11. drolling

drolling Member

Here's a good one;

John Jorgenson (Desert Rose Band, Hellecasters, Eton John, etc..) was in town for the Jazz Festival last week and did a little Q & A session w/the audience after a performance w/his gypsy swing band. Of course, most of us were interested in the techniques he's using to recreate the acoustic music of Django Reinhardt, but some long-haired shredder in the back pipes up with -

"Unh - John, I was wondering what your favorite pedal is?"

At this point the jazz purists are rolling their eyes, but Jorgenson doesn't miss a beat - Comes right back with a big grin -

"Y'know, I'm still using my Ibanez TS-5 on sessions where a classic rock tone's required. You really can't beat that Tubescreamer sound."

I just cracked up.. I'm pretty sure I still have one kicking around somewhere, but I've got so many fancy, hand-wired, trim-pot infested boutique specials that it would never occur to me to break it out. And I think it cost me less than a chinese monkey..

Gonna go take a look in the back of the closet..

12. GBlekas

GBlekas Supporting Member

He is not the only one!

Believe me it's a tough nut to crack especially when a guy is concentrating more on his playing and gets most of his tone through his guitar and amps.

The "Boutique" pedal thing is more of a novelty for the hobbiests because tone is a derived at bedroom levels and not for arenas or concert stages.
    10 out of 10 pros will use Ibanez/Boss for most things with things like the Stobo-stomp tuner working it's way on to their boards.
    The issue at that level is marking your pedal, if you don't have a pedal board, since 9 other guys have the same one and it's easy to get them mixed up.

Just an observation.

Regards,
    George

13. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Back in the early '90s I was lucky enough to score an original TS-808 for $50 bucks. :D

At the time it was hands down the best OD I'd ever heard. Several yearsafter I sold the TS-808 I got a Fulldrive 2 (FM version) and it's been my main OD ever since.

One night -- when I was in a bind -- a buddy of mine was gracious enough to lend me his original 808 (in a generic sheet metal housing) and an original TS-9. They sounded nice, but man did I miss my FD2.

One of my other friends has a TS-9 reissue modded by a local amp guru that sounds amazingly close to my FD2; but thus far it's the only TS I've heard that does. (which isn't to say there aren't others)

14. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

had one in high school in the early 80s...while searching for y keys, I left it on top of my car. Of course I drove off like an idiot, racing to get home after band practice. Anyway, it showed up in a local guitar store as a used piece, but I didnt have the cash to buy it back. Back the I started playing using a Peavey Special 130 watt 1x12 amp (which I still have today). Cleans were very good, 'saturation' circuitry for the OD channel sucked, until you kicked in the 808 pedal. All of a sudden I could get to many more classic hard rock tones. I kick myself for losing it and to this day still check the top of my car before getting in...

15. gianluigi

gianluigi Member

I'm not so lucky to own some originals but I always use a ts9 modded + a ts808 reissue on my board
    you can't beat them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

I use a Keeley modded 808 for light drive and a Maxon OD820 for heavier grit.

Add a Hotcake and I'm done.

Not really but can you have too many OD pedals :jo .

How many OD's is to many but that's another thread on it's own.

17. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

SRV aside, and even though a Tube Screamer isn't particularly transparent, to me there's just something interesting about the way a TS and a Strat work together that just seems so right. And, even if I'd never heard of SRV, I'd still feel the same way.

And, even though I've enhanced the TS sound through experimentation, plugging into an old stock TS808 occasionally is still a lot of fun.

18. HHB

HHB Member

I've got a Maxon OD808 ( Maxon made the originals ) and have used it on every gig for the last 6 years, before that it was an original TS-9 (stolen off the stage! )

19. wleeds

wleeds Member

I've had my TS808 on my boord since I bought it new in 1980(?). I have always considered it an integral part of my sound. I have tried to replace it so many times. Just recently I gave up looking for an alternative. It is the deal. I use it mostly to tighten things up, vol-noon, tone-9:30, drive-a touch above zero.
    love it.
    mark

20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

how do the current Maxon OD-808s compare to the original TS-808s?