Any luthiers here that can help me w shaving a neck?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Drew816, Mar 2, 2019.

1. larry1096

larry1096 Member

As a general rule, if you look at the neck shapes a maker offers, you *should* be safe taking any neck from them down to the dimensions of their smallest offering. It's not likely they're changing the way they install truss rods based on neck carves; not saying it couldn't happen, but it's probably not common.

If you go beyond (smaller) than the OEM's smallest standard carve, then you could be causing yourself problems. If you have a friend with access to an X-Ray (not as uncommon as you think, many receiving docks now have them for security purposes, as well as the more typical medical devices) you could always snap a picture and be absolutely certain.

Larry

2. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

The finish is probably more than .04 thick. You can get that with sandpaper in 15 minutes or so ,not like it would take any amount of time ? I remove finish and tung oil necks but very few around here will agree on anything like what finish or hard vs soft finish protection. Pretty quick and easy project to sand and oil it yourself just let the oil dry for at least 24 hours before you resand and apply again. I go up to 800 or 1000 grit but I don't polish it to glossy finish.

3. beorn

beorn Member

A barber might be better than a luthier at shaving a neck.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

All I can think of now is the time Moe ordered Curly to “shave some ice.”