Any Marty Balin Fans?

Pablomago

He did a solo album in the '70's that had the song "Hearts" on it. I just had the single. I like the later Jefferson Starship albums that he's on ('90's). Deep Space/Virgin sky and Windows of Heaven.

I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Marty a couple of times at his art gallery openings (He's a painter). The man has some great stories. He starting doing yoga in the '70's and quit doing drugs.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
He did a solo album in the '70's that had the song "Hearts" on it. I just had the single. I like the later Jefferson Starship albums that he's on ('90's). Deep Space/Virgin sky and Windows of Heaven.

I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Marty a couple of times at his art gallery openings (He's a painter). The man has some great stories. He starting doing yoga in the '70's and quit doing drugs.
Didn't he pass?

68dripedge

I have met Marty a few times. He lives here in Florida. I was living a couple blocks away from him and worked at the grocery store near our houses. I have actually rang up his groceries a few times. Pretty cool!

The first time I met him I was ringing him up and I was like 22. I was all like "you were in the Jefferson Airplane!" And he was just like "yeah..."

I would see him in the store all the time. I've also seen him locally at Walmart and Wholefoods. Ran into him again at a local concert where he got up and did a few songs. It was a tribute to Woodstock so it was cool to hear him do some Airplane with a local band. I got a picture with him after and chatted him up for a few minutes.

My sister also dated his nephew briefly and he had him autograph a vinyl copy of Surrealistic Pillow for me before they broke up. Never got to hang out with him though.

He's a nice guy, but real quiet and to himself. Haven't run into him in years but I hope to again someday.

don carney

Gold Supporting Member
I have always liked his voice. Heard the Jefferson Airplane live back in 1970 when Marty and Grace got pretty smoked prior to the show. I was back stage with them as a support person for the event. Everyone was sitting around on bean bags in the double wide that served as the dressing rooms. I was amazed that they got up at all let alone do a show. The show was great. They were seemingly unaffected. I have some great pictures of all of this. Maybe I can get one of my kids to show me how to post them. Several are of Marty singing at this event. If you do not mind me asking, where is Marty in Florida? Thx.

Shiny McShine

I just love it when he sings with Grace; what a great blending of timbre and it sounds soooo 60's. You can kind of hear shades of it in X but JA was a stronger band musically with Jorma and Jack.

DustyRhodesJr

Hard to mention Marty without a mention of the great album "Red Octopus".

Marty came back to the band which was on the rocks, wrote them a bunch of
great songs, and the album became a chart topper and was their best selling
album ever.

He has one of the best voices in rock.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom