Any Matamp/Reeves love?...post pictures

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markom89, Jun 30, 2006.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Why is it that I havent seen any talk on here about either of these companies???...I mean theyre both wicked amp companies, youve got reeves, the "Hiwatt" ones, and youve got Matamp, the "British" ones, I mean they really are both awsome amp companies with quite a history behind their name...Id just like to see some more talk about them, or tell me what you know about them, and as for you Reeves/Matamp owners out there, please post some pictures of your rigs, Id love to see them, or anyone just post pictures of these awsome amps!!! Thanks in advance, I know that both myself and the other TGPers interested in this will get something out of this!

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

ok...I take it no one here likes these or whats the deal?...

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

dude...you waited an hour and a half for a reply...chill.

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Check out the search function - hundreds of hits for both Reeves and Matamp. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for. And remember the old forum posting rule, "It is always better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one".

I think it's time to repost the old filmstrip from the Steam forums:

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the original Orange Matamp. Great fidelity. Actually they sound like a really big Fender Deluxe, w/ the 4x12" Fane cab they came with.

Great amps. Anything more than the 80w version is a little too loud for me nowadays - no master vol. (which is partly why it sounds so good)

I haven't played through many new Matamps, though I really like the company a lot!

You see Jimmy Page playing through 'em on the Led Zep BBC videos - sounds awesome!

Matamps and Reeves amp have been discussed many times at length here - try a search, you'll get a ton of hits.

Dana

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

oh, sweet thanks...

7. Josh O

Josh O Member

I used to have a Matamp 1224MKII head. A great sound with a lot of tonal and power versatility but I switched my setup needs and wanted something lighter, etc. I still have my Matamp 2x12 sealed cabinet.

8. Sol

Sol Member

Josh O,
    I'm looking at Matamp at the moment, they have brought out loads of new models, which means I'm always playing catchup.

The 1224 Mk2 looked really good, but perhaps a bit too much choise for me
    with all the push buttons and what not.

Did your Matamp have a tone that that lends itself to comparison of any sort ?
    Was there any of the old Orange/Hiwatt type tones in there, I heard it could get quite gainy, any appeal for a blues and roots type, or more for the stoner guy's?

Cheers,
    Sol

9. Occam

Occam Member

Here's my Matamp/Electric rig. In North America I'd check out Electric Amps. They're made by the guy that used to be the US importer of Matamp's and they're more true to the original Matamp designs. Matamp is going more with high gain/channel switching amps these days:
    [​IMG]
    http://electricamp.com/

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

You're in TO? Man, avoid dealing direct w/ Matamp UK from here. Trust me, OK? Worse gear experience of my life (and I've had many!). That said, there may now be a Canadian distributor... As Occam noted, they offer very different designs these days than their Orange heritage. If you want classic Orange, go for a '70s model (but bet Electric Amps cop vintage Orange/Matamp).
    Lotsa props for Reeves, and Hiwatts (old/new) are amazing.
    C'est tout, for now...

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

SWEET rig Occam ... damn that's sexy.
    :drool
    -Ben

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

occam- that is indeed a very sweet rig, which matamp is the "louder than god"???...is it the GTO?...rwe33, I understand you had a bad experience, I wasnt planning on dealing directly with matamp UK, I was planning on doing so with their Canadian distributor (yes there is one), G-spot music in Montreal (I know your thinking its probably some strip joint, but its not), they carry the entire Matamp line, and Im currently looking at the classic GTO, and the S2000 ri (only 60 made), that ones the head, special 2x12 cab and rever unit. Ive also looked into the new hiwatt & reeves amps and they look good too, and I might sell my current amp now (mesa MK IV) to help me fund either a Reeves or Hiwatt custom 100. (would be awsome together with the matamp!!!)
    Also, Matamp is going to be recreating the original Harry Joyce amps, due to his wife paying a visit to the Matamp factory and seeing the superior quality she felt that she would want to see her husbands "legacy" carried on by a group of people as genuine as he was in the amp business. Point is when theyre going to start production of the Harry Joyce line, Ill be on that list for the 100, or 50. Lately Ive really been going threw a "british" phase, and thats why Id be getting these amps!!! and I need LOUD!

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

wow, thats beautiful...thats just what I want, and thats what I just may get (the S2000 ri) but Im not sure if any are still available, I sent emails to the canadian distributor and no response. Im going to be in London however around late August and it would be worth a visit to the factory, is it far from London?...I have also looked at the GTO & GTL. It appears as if though IM hooked on them already, I just love the look and the sounds. I may also be picking up a Hiwatt or Reeves custom 100, and run them in Stereo, now that would be awsome!...How do you find the matamp cabs? and how is the reverb?...(it looks like an awsome reverb), and what is the purpose of those "slave units"???...Thanks for your reply!

14. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I can't speak to Matamps, but I LOVE my Reeves Custom 6 combo. Excellent amp. I just had mine recovered in white Taurus. I need to take some pictures.

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Man oh man, I just spoke with Jeff from Matamp, and what a nice genuine guy!!!...We spent a half hour on the phone talking about all sorts of stuff and IM GETTING A SERIES 2000 FULL KIT WITH REVERB, CAB AND HEAD!!!!... I cant wait, I will have to get mine in 2 months though (the wait isnt that long I just have to) and theyve also began production on the Harry Joyce line, exact replica of the originals, pre- metal edges, and I want to get the 100w model too. Jeff also told me to come to the factory when Im in London and hell set me up in a nice little hotel, give me a full tour, I get to play anything, I cant wait!!!!...Ill be there in late August!!! and Liz is very nice too. really the nicest bunch of people Ive come in contact with in this business.

16. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Melj, thanks for the advice man!!!...I really look forward to owning the series 200 full kit, it really looks like a killer amp, and Im also saving up for another amp, and with the sale of my MK IV Ill have some more funds!!! I still dont know which one to get, whether another Matamp (GTO, GTL???) or the Harry Joyce 100 watt head that Matamps building, or a Reeves custom 100, or an actual Hiwatt custom lead 100...Decisions, decisions... I also cant wait to visit the factory, ill get to see my amp in the making!!! Is there a train from London that goes directly to Hudderrsfield?...
    OT: But do you know of any good guitar shops in London, or the London area???...I wonder if Cornish's shop would be worth a visit, might pick up a pedal...Ive heard good things about Denmark street, but I also heard that the markup is rediculous!...

17. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

As I said, When I spoke to Jeff from Matamp he said that the Henry Joyce amps are ALREADY in production, so why is it that Im hearing stories about them being made in the states?...Its not true. Jeff told me how hes been saving up money to sue a certain somebody who was shipped 8 original HJ amps from Henry himself just before him passing away and this certain someone never paid for the amps and is claiming that he is building the HJ amps now, this is a BIG lie. Anyways, Jeff, Matamp, and Mr.Joyce's widdow are suing this person, and I hope they win!!!...The Matamp HJ's are an EXACT replica of the originals, and I cant stress enough how true that is. The series 2000 IM getting is also an EXACT replica of the 2000's back in the 60's, they went threw great lengths to reproduce every single piece, including the ORIGINAL fane speakers, not these newer ones that were recreated after the originals were scrapped or something like that. The original fanes will run you 20,000 pounds!!!! No joke, and Jeff and Matamp were lucky to get their hands on a few and they made exact replicas of them for the special 2000 series cabs...and Im going to own one of the most rare amps in the world!!!...Im soooo happy!!!...I want their entire line, along with reeves and Hiwatt (wait, only the 50, 100 and gilmour and townshend hiwatts...)...British amps are the way to go!!!...and american...and german...

18. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Here's a Reeves amp pic for ya, along with some other goodies.

[​IMG]

19. Josh O

Josh O Member

Hi Sol,

I used to really just run my 1224MKII wide open at low wattage. I used to have a Fender Brown Princeton that would do the cleans and slight dirt. I'd say that it had a great Black Sabbath sound to it but could be tamed for blues. The reason I say this is the dealer I had bought it from at the time had it custom voiced for that Peter Green type sound. Of course, I reallly didn't have an appreciation for Green at the time (I do now having bought some early Fleetwood Mac) so I never really experienced that, I always rain the gain at full throttle. The amount of pushbuttons really turned me on that amp at the time, but when I traded it in, I wanted something more simplistic so the amount of variety actually turned me off a bit.

I will say that when I bought my 1224MKII, it was before the whole Electric Amp phenomenon, Jeff was still the US Distributor for Matamp and I guess one could argue that the Matamps from that time period were more like the old Orange Matamp era. I think they changed things up last year and I know there is alot of stuff on the net about who is more like the Matamp of old, Matamp themselves or what Electric Amp is now offering. Lot of pissing contests going on there, between Electric and Matamp and those faithful followers/users of each.

I don't know, where am I going with this. Give a 1224MKII a whirl if you can, you may find it will suit your bluesy needs. Their cabinets are awesome I will say that, I still use my sealed vertical Matamp 2x12.