Any McNaught/Bogner owners here?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bikerdude2, Nov 4, 2005.

1. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I'm hoping someone can tell me they sound like crap together so I can cure my gas before going into debt again :rolleyes:

2. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

They sound like ass! Don't waste the cash!! lol Never played one, Have you tried a McInturff yet, Tom?

3. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Well if it helps any...IMHO of course....
    Mcnaughts, while absolutely beautiful guitars can be very deep and dark sounding even compared to a LP.
    And since the Bogners I've owned sounded muffled, muddy and dark.... you'll have a very dark, muddy, flubby sound...:D
    I know someone who swapped the stock pups out of a MCNaught and it got much better sounding.
    I'm just not a fan of Bogners, but I've only owned a 101B and Uber... Never liked the Shiva.

But what the hell....go into debt...:D
    You only live once.
    You can always get a good return on both items, they do retain their value pretty good.....
    Steve

4. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

My #1 guitar for the past 3 1/2 years ia a McNaught Phoenix. The build quality is amazing and the neck just flat out feels better than anything else I've played. The tone on mine is sweet with some nice high end bite; lots of prescence and cut. This is one guitar I'll have for as long as I'm breathing.

5. Izy

Izy Member

They suck!

But you know i'm lying!!

Come on!:D

Its a McNaught and a bogner!

I don't own any one of them but how wrong could any of them go??

So much gear so little dough! :(

6. prsflame

prsflame Member

I own 5 Mcnaughts. They all have the Rio's in them, with the exception of my Orion that has Wagners. My main stage rig for the past 4 years has been a Bogner Shiva EL34 head played through a ZBEST 2x12. Needless to say,My Mcnaughts sound Phenomenal through this rig.

I'm now in a funk band, so my gear requirements have changed. I'm still using the Mcnaughts, only now I'm playing through a Top Hat Club Deluxe 1x12.... another awesome tone combo. The Rios sound great (to my ears) when split, so I can still get away with using my Doublecuts and the Orion while playing funk.

I went to a jam a few nights ago, and plugged my Korina backed Double cut through a solid state Crate. Yep, it even made a Crate sound good:)

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I just got a smokin McNaught Hollow Doublecut with one of his unreal quilt '12' tops. Had him equip it with Voodoo 59s. It screams thick! Not a bit dark, quite well balanced in fact. I play it through an Aiken Intruder (reasonably close to Bogner tone), and it is fat and heavenly. I think McNaught is makng some of the most spectacular guitars out there these days. I've heard other McNaughts with Rios, and IMO they did sound a bit dark. His guitars are fabulous, and the pickup choice is key. He'll equip them with nearly anything you want, and I'm told that his also sound great with Wagners (Darkburts). Sorry bikerdude, just tellin it like it is. AC

8. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I owned both, and while I found both to be outstanding, I'd have to give the nod to McNaught. IF I pick one up, you'll get the chance to play one..:dude Thanks for all the feedback folks. I guess I'm leaning towards more of a LP type of tone..It's only $$$, right?

9. StinkMonkey

StinkMonkey Member

My next amp GAS is the Bogner 212.

10. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I have a McNaught Vintage singlecut w/ Rio Grande Texas/BBQ pups (Rosewood neck, 5-way switch plus coil taps), along with a Shiva EL34. My playing might use improvment but the equipment works well together.

The McNaught I have has the direct mount pups. I compared it to a Les Paul R8 and the sustain is definitely a cut above for the McNaught.

The only bad thing is I play 90% of the time using a Strat or 335. My McNaught sits unused too often because that is not the territory I live in. Yep, bought during a GAS attack.

11. bRoWn-SoUnD

bRoWn-SoUnD Supporting Member

My McNaughts sound good....................ALWAYS :dude

Buy a McNaught and you'll see

How badass your tone can be

:cool:

12. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

If the right one comes along at the right price, she will be mine! :D

13. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I have the right one. Is $3,750 the right price? :D

14. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

Building a house is killing me, so I'm poorer than that right now..:(

15. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

16. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Haha!! Lemme know, I could bring some toys down for test drives.

17. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

18. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

Will do! :dude