Any Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 owners out there? (Who were one on e fender only)

aleiberman

over the last few weeks i have put out a few thread on a new amp. DRRI, Blues Deluxe, and Twin Reverb. Granted I have owned a few of these in the past.

Anyway, I was testng this out at again at GC and stumbled onto a used "like new" Express 5:50 Plus with a warrrenty still. It was awesome, so I purchased it, and couldn't be happier. I can almost get similiar tones as the amps listed above and so much more. Curious if anyon else loves these amps who are generally fender tone seekers, and if so, any tips or tricks? Lots of options for sure but not too overwhelming. It really doesnt seem hard to dial in a good tone. I mainly stay on clean and blues. So much to explore and have not even atarted with the eq yet, nevermind the other modes crunch and burn. Anyone try a different speaker? I might try something like a WGS et-65 or an A Type celestion. Also, any tips on best getting blackface tones?

PS on the thead subject, tried to say Owners who were once fender only.

Thanks!

Puckbucker

I got a 5:50 Plus head for the clean channel. Very good blackface tone at 50 watts. I use a Type A celestion with it and get nice clean tones with that combination.

kwicked

Gold Supporting Member
Im fender all the way and the 5:50 is the only mesa i have ever come close to buying. Really like that amp a lot!

aleiberman

I got a 5:50 Plus head for the clean channel. Very good blackface tone at 50 watts. I use a Type A celestion with it and get nice clean tones with that combination.
That is really cool. How much does the speaker change impact the tone? Does is loose the overall charecter of the amp? Also, what are your knob settings for blackface tones?

Thanks

Puckbucker

Aleiberman: I original had the head with a Mesa 1x12 widebody cab with a C90. I like the C90 for the Express but NOT so much for the "Clean" mode, which is what I bought the amp for. I tried the "A" type on faith and it is pretty good with the "Clean" mode. It's not bad with the others either. Oddly I have a more boutique blackface type amp that is very good but I didn't like the "A" type speaker with that amp as much as I did with the 5:50 Plus. I do think the 5:50 Plus (mine anyway) is a bit bass heavy on the clean mode where I need to put the bass almost on zero (maybe at about a 1.5 setting) to avoid puffiness, but it works there.

DonaldDemon

I traded my DRRI in for a 5:25 non-plus Express, couldn't be happier but to be fair I'm not a Fender guy. I hated the DRRI, Twin RI, and any other Fender I've owned or played with the exception of some expensive vintage units. I much prefer Mesa cleans and dirt channels are no comparison at all, not to mention all the features and versatility.

Will Box

Long time Fender user here! Gigged for a looong time with a couple of different SF Viboluxes, a reissue Bassman and a Princeton II. Finally retired my last Vibrolux a few years ago after getting a Mesa 5:50 1x12 (non+).

Excellent amp, does pretty much all the Fenders could do, with quite a bit added, in a far more versatile package. A work-horse amp for real world gigging....I use a Mesa Thiele C90 as an amp stand, and because two speakers sound better than one!

Adel2

I had a silverface vibrolux at one point. Like another member said, the only fenders I got on with were some choice vintage ones - especially Supers. My 5:50 non-plus can sound like a combination of a good twin with just enough of that Mesa solidity thrown in.

aleiberman

Very cool everyone. I am really enjoying this amp so far. I might try a WGS-ET65. The c90 speaker it comes with is a little bass heavy on clean. Flubby. I might try the other speaker for possible tighter bass response. Puckbucker suggested an A Type. Any other suggestions? Any settings for tighter bass response. The blues channel with low gain also helps.

Also, has anyone toniced on fhe 5:50 + on channel 2 background white noise or hiss. Its almost like a negative feedback type of noise that gets removed from the circuit for more gain.

Frostbite Slim

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a Mesa Express 5:50 (Non-plus). Absolutely love the clean tone of this amp . Early on I was a (Blkface) Fender user, and currently using SSS type amps.

I find the clean tone of the 5:50 every bit as good! I've often thought about swapping the speaker too, but I think it's part of the Tone I like so much.

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
@Frostbite - would love to know your settings on the amp. Great tones there - and really showed a variety of tunes/styles. Great demo of the amp.

Guitarwiz007

Gold Supporting Member
Had a Twin and a Deluxe. Wanted something different so I got a Mesa Express 5:50 (non plus) but I opted for the 2x12. I liked it a lot better than the 1x12 versions although I thought they sounded good, just not as full. Personal preference I guess. I honestly don't think I will ever go back to a Fender again. I love my Mesa. It is an incredibly underrated amp. Superb pedal platform and I love the overdrive/distortion that the other modes can do. Took a bit to get the EQ right at first. Use your ears, not your eyes. The cascading EQ was quite a bit different than what I was used to at the time.

Keymaster4225

I have a 5:50 non-plus 2x12 I picked up used from GC. Still fooling around with tones, I think my biggest thing is the burn channel seems almost too bass heavy most of the time. I'm really trying to dial in a tone similar to Adam Jones on Opiate/Undertow, and coming up just short somewhere that I can't quite pin down. I almost want to say I'm getting too "thick" of a tone if that makes sense. His earlier sound seems thinner to me, and not sure how to replicate it. The countout control has helped some. Wish I had funds for an eq pedal to really dial in the eq.

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
Very cool everyone. I am really enjoying this amp so far. I might try a WGS-ET65. The c90 speaker it comes with is a little bass heavy on clean. Flubby. I might try the other speaker for possible tighter bass response. Puckbucker suggested an A Type. Any other suggestions? Any settings for tighter bass response. The blues channel with low gain also helps.

Also, has anyone toniced on fhe 5:50 + on channel 2 background white noise or hiss. Its almost like a negative feedback type of noise that gets removed from the circuit for more gain.
Try experimenting with the eq before you change speakers. Set the channel bass control very low or off. Turn on the eq and adjust the bass slider to taste. The eq is after the pre amp so adding bass with the eq sounds tighter. Also watch where you set the mid control on the clean channel. It is very powerful, much more so than on a Fender. If the eq doesn't do it for you then it's speaker time. I would love to hear a 5:50 with an EV 12. I bet it would kill. I would not want to tote it around though.

DonaldDemon

I have a 5:50 non-plus 2x12 I picked up used from GC. Still fooling around with tones, I think my biggest thing is the burn channel seems almost too bass heavy most of the time. I'm really trying to dial in a tone similar to Adam Jones on Opiate/Undertow, and coming up just short somewhere that I can't quite pin down. I almost want to say I'm getting too "thick" of a tone if that makes sense. His earlier sound seems thinner to me, and not sure how to replicate it. The countout control has helped some. Wish I had funds for an eq pedal to really dial in the eq.
I don't think the burn mode will work for that tone, it's too thick sounding, as you said. I don't really think that amp is meant fo rthat sound but I have had better luck using the crunch mode with a boost/OD pedal, it has more of the high mids like a Super Lead would.

RL2792

I have the 5:50 Plus. I love Channel 1, both clean and crunch mode. But, I just can't seem to get a good tone out of Channel 2's blues mode. How are you guys setting up Channel 2's blues mode?

lowpaygigs

To cut the flub, you have to set the controls differently than a fender. Check the manual. The drive has some hiss. You can reduce it effectively two ways: 1. Put a mesa spax7 preamp tube in gain stage one. 2. Use a mxr or comparible noisegate. I do both.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/tubes/pre-amp-tubes/SPAX7.html

Last edited:

lowpaygigs

I have the 5:50 Plus. I love Channel 1, both clean and crunch mode. But, I just can't seem to get a good tone out of Channel 2's blues mode. How are you guys setting up Channel 2's blues mode?
I follow the manual and back off the gain 10-15 percent. I use an odie overdrive in front to shape the tone ever so. Works great.

Keymaster4225

I don't think the burn mode will work for that tone, it's too thick sounding, as you said. I don't really think that amp is meant fo rthat sound but I have had better luck using the crunch mode with a boost/OD pedal, it has more of the high mids like a Super Lead would.
Yeah, I've turned to using crunch with a touch more gain and working with the eq to try and find it. Really can't believe how much sound is on tap with this amp.

Trending Topics