Any Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket users here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Page, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Page

Page Member

I picked up a very clean, hardly used Subway Rocket Reverb this week. I got it at a good (by UK standards) price so I'm set to have some fun with it and if it doesn't work out I can always sell it. The clean channel is great and contrary to several comments I've read the reverb is usable. The overdrive however is not. It's the usual Boogie story of pushing everything through the mids so you get what sounds to me like a half-cocked wah. I did a speaker swap to a Celestion but decided to keep the stock one as it sounded better. I'll probably try to tame it by changing the tubes in V1 and V2 but if that doesn't work I'll be open to suggestions. So who here has one of these amps and what mods (if any) have you made?

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I felt the same way about mine so I put in a pair of GT12ax7Ms in V1 and V2 and it sounded much better.

I'd try a few different pairs and see what works for you.

That combined with an EVM 10M could make all of the difference in the world. I wouldn't mod it though, it would have a negative impact on resale value and I haven't heard of a particularly good mod for that model anyway.

3. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

I have a Subway Rocket too. I am NOT technical about anything inside the amp. I can tell you that the overdrive channel should be fine, and the "half-cocked wah sound" is NOT normal. Perhaps tubes? I don't know. Try tubes or take it to a tech, these are great little amps.

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

I love those little Subways! I've owned a Blues for many years now. Currently running it through a THD 2X12 at home and it sounds HUGE. I saw a guy play a Rocket live through a 4X12 once - sounded killer. I'd try running it through a different cab and see what you think.

5. Fxrs

Fxrs Member

My 1st tube amp SR non-reverb. Wish I'd kept it, but I knew no better, and traded it for an 80watt Marshall ValveState combo! Subways are going for more than they listed! (I don't know if they're getting asking price though.)

6. stratzrus

They're now going for around $500 here in the USA. I don't know about in England where the OP is from.

That may have been a slight exaggeration, but I know where he is coming from. The drive channel does have a midrange emphasis that you would not hear in a dual rectifier for example. As you crank it it's less of an issue, but with the stock tubes and stock 10" speaker it's definitely working the midrange.

A friend who won't play humbucking pickups describes Les Pauls as sounding like a "pickle" referring to the midrange hump on a frequency response graph. An exaggeration for sure, but a visual image that works for me.

7. Fxrs

Fxrs Member

Ok, they're going for what they listed then. I wish I could say the same for my DC-5.

8. Page

Page Member

I guess I was exagerating a little in my original post when I refered to the sound of the overdrive being like a half-cocked wah. I ran it through my Dr Z 1x12 cab and it improved a bit. I'm in the studio tonight for rehearsal so I'll report back tomorrow after I've had a chance to crank it a little.

9. Page

Page Member

Thanks for your replies. My concern was unfounded. I used it in rehearsal night and kept up really well. All that was needed was a little volume. This really isn't an amp to use in the house.

10. trwigg

trwigg Member

Great little amp (little in size only). I am more fond of the clean channel because when cranked you can feel the power in the tone. It is not a crystal clean but more of a "power clean" and the other channels can be dialed in to be just about anything you want.

11. stratzrus

Agreed that it's not at it's best in that context. Like my Rivera KHR 100, the gain channel can sound like total poo if it doesn't have enough steam behind it.

With a decent extension cab and cranked it can be totally surprising. I jammed with it once sitting on top of a Mesa Thiel 1x12 which was sitting on a Rivera Los Lowbottom Sub 1. It sounded like a no BS half stack.