Any Millennia Media TD-1 owners?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by yeast2000, Jan 16, 2006.

1. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

I'm thinking of buying Millennia Media TD-1 for various applications. But, one feature I'm particularly interested in is the "speaker soak" funtion (which allows the signal directly from the guitar amplifier to go into the board). I'd love to hear some experiences using this feature. Could you kindly let me know pros and cons? Also, how the speaker soak compares to the function of dedicated speaker simulators such as Palmer or Motherload?
    Thanks.

2. sabreplayre

sabreplayre Member

i don't think it provides an actual load, it's simply a "speaker thru", i.e. still needs to be connected to a cabinet...

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

It says right on the front panel, "Speaker must be connected." Avalon U5 is the same way.

Looks like a cool thing. Millennia makes great pres.

4. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

Thanks for your replies. I agree that it functions as a "speaker thru" and you need a separate load from the amp. I thought of using a dummy load and use the output from the "speaker soak" of TD-1 directly into the board, and I was wondering what the direct output of TD-1 sounds like.

The unit looks really intriguing.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

What makes a great DI is clarity, mainly, so without EQ it won't "affect" your tone in a big way. But it seems you'll have some ability to mess with it, too, and it ought to be a top-notch messing tool.

6. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

True. True.
    I still haven't committed myself to get one, but it is one serious little box that does numerous "top-notch" messing around.
    Thanks for your input, Michael.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

and waaaaaaaaaay cheaper.

i also use a THD hotplate as a soak. works like a charm.