Any Mockingbird fans?

webcat

I couldn't say definitively. I vaguely recall hearing the new owner talk about traveling to Korea to supervise each production run of guitars. The guy really sounds passionate about the brand and its legacy. Might have seen that on a YouTube clip or a podcast.
If I had to guess, I'd say that any model that doesn't explicitly say "USA" in the description is probably built by WMI in South Korea. Those folks know what they're doing!
They really do! Mine is just amazing to play, despite being a lot cheaper than my Gibsons

Cloughie

Noice. One of the coolest looking guitars ever. Didn't Neil Geraldo play one for a while?

He played an Eagle primarily. They made him a sig not too long ago.

Screenshot_20220603-145725.png

LOVE Mockingbirds! A friend let me borrow his NJ (Japan version) Mockingbird for several months back in the 90s, incredible guitar— wish I had snagged one

I also like the acrylic ones

HERSCHEL

Silver Supporting Member
Love the Mockingbird. It's like a cool version of a Les Paul. I have a MiK I was going to swap the pickups on but the stock Rockfield ones sound surprisingly good. They're thick and chunky but the high end doesn't get lost.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Always loved the Mockingbird! It was the stuff of dreams for kids in that era! Its more introvert brother the Eagle is also stunning. I never did like the Warlock, though ...that one seemed to me somehow cliche ...I can't explain that, but it's how I feel.

Trivia question and challenge: who remembers --let alone owns-- a BC Rich Wave? c'mon now... :D

Edward

B Money

Always loved the Mockingbird! It was the stuff of dreams for kids in that era! Its more introvert brother the Eagle is also stunning. I never did like the Warlock, though ...that one seemed to me somehow cliche ...I can't explain that, but it's how I feel.

Trivia question and challenge: who remembers --let alone owns-- a BC Rich Wave? c'mon now... :D

Edward
I think I remember the Wave. Sounds familiar but I can't picture it in my minds eye.
The Warlock is just so '70s "Gothic" IMO. Looks like something The Munsters would play. It's so ridiculous you have to love it. Kinda like the Countach

monwobobbo

i'm a fan. had a Son Of A Rich series Mockingbird (though i think it was called something else despite being a mockingbird shape). one of the best guitars i ever owned and the one i regret letting go(early 80s "budget model US made bolt on neck no fancy electronics but did sport DiMarzio pickups and a Quan Badass bridge) currently have a 2006 NJ Eagle (only year they made them for that series). which is my main humbucker guitar. still stock. i know most laugh at the BDSM pickups but for whatever reason they work well for me.

i have often said that BC Rich needs to make a real effort to appeal to players beyond metal. i remember seeing Joe Perry with his Bich and thinking that was so cool. Rick Derringer played a Mockingbird when i saw him in the early 80s again so cool. when i got my Mockingbird in the early 80s people assumed i had to be somebody because i had a BC Rich and only rock stars had them. brand has fallen off really far since those days. haven't trotted my Eagle out in a while but when i did i got asked what it was many times. odd looks at blues jams but hey no one else had a BC Rich there so i stood out big time.

devicaster

I sure as hell do.

I own a couple of BC's. My main is an 88 USA Warlock. My friend had an NJ Mockingbird in the late 90's. Our bands shared a rehearsal studio and he & I would go in on off nights and jam out cover songs. One night he got on the drum set, and I plugged his Mockingbird into my rig. I LOVED the sound of that NJ. There was something a little darker about that one vs. my Warlock. I thought to myself one of these days Im gonna get me one of these.

Anyway cut to about 4 years ago the same friend from the 90's sends me a text with an Ebay link to a Mockingbird in Metal flake finish, with 2 BC Rich imprinted active pups (similar to the one pictured) for $299.

It definitely has the same dark tone to it. Although the active electronics aren't anything special, it sure plays great! I'm still trying to figure out what pickups to put in. At the moment its sitting in a storage locker.

1654295357741.png

donnievaz

Mine is a 2006 MIK Exotic Classic.

It's been a solid guitar for me. The neck is big for some people, I have big hands so it's comfy for me. It's a nice big 50's C carve.

All my hardware is changed. Grover locking tuners, tonepros locking bridge, gotoh locking stop bar. I replaced all the electronics too. 36th Ann dimarzio pups, CTS pots...

In action:

LOVE that song!!!!!!!!!!

Cloughie

t's a nice big 50's C carve.
This is good info as I've never been able to make sense of what profiles matched which years, countries of mfg, etc. I keep hearing nice C carves are out there, but every BC Rich I've tried has been a wide, flat D with unrelenting shoulder or a shredder.
They're like Hamers or classic Deans that way.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
This is good info as I've never been able to make sense of what profiles matched which years, countries of mfg, etc. I keep hearing nice C carves are out there, but every BC Rich I've tried has been a wide, flat D with unrelenting shoulder or a shredder.
They're like Hamers or classic Deans that way.
A flat D shape would have been a deal breaker for me. I get cramps when playing that type of profile. C's and asymmetrical carves suit me best...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom