Any Monte Allums Fans?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Digby, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Digby

Digby Senior Member

I bought a used DS-1 to install his DS-1 Tri-Gain mod in. I'm still open to other possibilities (Keely, etc) but have heard great things about Monte Allums.

What say you?

Digby

2. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

His prices are outrageous. You can purchase the "upgrade" parts from any electronics place for pennies.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

But that's not the point. He's selling his mods/instructions AND the kit, it's not just about the parts. Go it on your own, good luck!

4. HammyD

HammyD Member

I bought a Blues Driver with H2O mod already complete and am thrilled. It is absolutely transparent and I can set it so that the pedal sounds just like the amp on the edge of break up.

'53 Goldtop Les Paul>Monte BD>'67 Pro Reverb.

5. Digby

Digby Senior Member

And besides that, how would a person know what parts to get, where to install them etc? I suppose that I'm just reiterating what you've said Jamison, but these are good questions.

Digby

6. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

i started with montes stuff (still use it) and then do some of my own stuff...i think its great..its what around $20 bucks and a fun afternoon of learning some cool pedal stuff with a beer or twoand a soldering gun...its totally worth it..sure once you get more involved(if you so choose) it can be done for around $2 . but hey its easy and fun..and you dont need to read schematics etc.

btw most importantly i think they sound great!! the three ive done:AOK

7. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

Yeah, you're paying for instructions, but instructions for modding tons of pedals can be found FOR FREE on the 'net.

I'm not anti-kit, but whatever, never mind, I know you guys will never see my side of this.

You know, you can purchase a copy of The Art of Electronics for about $80 new. Everything you'd ever need to know is in that book... EVERYTHING.

8. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

well i completely see your side..as im kinda on it..but for a no fuss and a very easy project for non DIYers even..it seems great to me?
    i mean $20 and a few hours work....you have a new pedal..maybe thats all some consumer wants? thats cool..

9. stonevibe

stonevibe Member

I have one of his kits in a BOSS CS-3 and its a huge improvement on the original.

10. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Sorry you feel that way SS, but nothing could be further from the truth. I would love to learn the art of electronics. I've had a huge burning desire to learn to work on my amps and pedals. I actually have two cheap solid state amps I bought for that purpose, to re-work, mod or even re-build them. But the subject seems so impenetrable. I even bought Gibilisco's "Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics" (most recent version) but I still feel overwhelmed and unsure where and how to start. And I want to start hands on. Rapid feedback and reward are essential to keep most of us smart monkeys interested in something, so I need to see some results sooner rather than later. I know that is true based on my ten years of teaching music\guitar. And when you ask someone who is knowledgeable how to best begin, I often get the evasions, as if I just asked a Freemason what their secret is.

At this point, I can re-wire a guitar, and do some very basic electronic repairs and that is all. So until I have the knowledge and skills I'll have to pay Monte Allums for his instructions and diagrams.

Regards,

Digby

11. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

There's nothing impenetrable about the subject. It's easy easy easy to learn!
    Just get some good books like The Art and download the free copies of the Navy NEETS textbooks here: http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm
    If you take the time to read and learn everything in those FREE Naval texts you would be way way way ahead of the curve.

Yeah, like Masons... alot of "technicians" in the boutique market do treat it like that. They do it so consumers don't get wise to the fact that they are woefully ignorant of actual electronics.
    NO, I'm not saying they all fall into that category! I'm just saying any tech who tries to hide his knowledge is 90% of the time in fact trying to hide his lack of knowledge.

12. Electric I

Electric I Member

Recently finished modding an SD-1, GT style. It's now a 4-mode stomper with an improved overall sound to boot.

Addendum: as far as cost goes, a burr-brown opamp/2 switches alone are 13-15 bucks. add another 2-4 for the rest & you're near $20. That doesn't seem like a big markup to me.

Bottom line, it was worth it for this first-timer.

13. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Thanks SS,

It's a compromise - I'll buy the kit from Allums and give the resources you offered a go. I'll have to see what the library has as far as electronics titles, as I'm cash poor right now, and buying another book (80$ you say!!??) when I still haven't put the Gibilisco book to use doesn't make much sense to me.

I will download the material you posted the links to.

Thanks,

Digby

14. Electric I

Electric I Member

True enough & thanks for sharing.

15. ♪♪♫♫♪

♪♪♫♫♪ Senior Member

Sorry, but I'm not getting this argument--or any of the others along the same lines--at all.

Sure you can buy the "upgrade" parts cheap, but you can also buy the parts that make up the PEDAL ITSELF for a fraction of the price of the pedal. Similarly, you can buy a pile of rosewood, spruce, ebony and mahogany and build yourself an acoustic guitar for a fraction of the cost of a Martin. And for that matter, you could build your house and your furniture, weave your own rugs, forge your own knives...oh, you get the point.

IMHO, Monte is awesome. He provides fun, tone, bright LEDs and do-it-yourself satisfaction for $20.

Where else can you get a deal like that?

16. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

his mods are killer.
    good fun to install.
    and Monte is tops!
    ...very thoughtful, helpful type of chap.
    I use the boss CS-3 with his opto-mod...
    it's very quiet and effective...just a much a more useable pedal now.
    thanks Monte!

17. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

Just did the Opto + CS-3 mod... it's all that it's promised to be. Way less noise, smoother and clearer sounding, for $25.00 it's a bargain. His documentation makes it really clear about part orientation, the effect of each part change, etc. I'll probably try his TS-9 mod soon.

18. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Had the TS-9 mod done. Great mod. One of the best sounding TS pedals I've had. Very similar sounding to my E I compared it to.