Any more affordable versions of the U87 out there?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by meterman, Feb 25, 2009.

1. blueguitar322

blueguitar322 Member

:messedup
    I wasn't even talking about the mis-information by a certain dealer who shall remain un-named. My point was only that mics can be manufactured in China and QC'd / tweaked in the US as a way to provide quality at low price...but, yeah, that's completely different than lying about a product's origin. People who bought Peluso thinking it was 100% made in US got a bum deal...

I guess we weren't. :cool:

My only dog in this fight is accurate information...and that swings both ways - namely, that quality control in the US can help weed out the poor quality specimens sent from China, that Peluso doesn't make "clones" of any mic, and that builders and retailers need to get on the same page to not deceive buyers.

2. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

Guys, you've highjacked this guy's thread. Get back on topic, and suggest him some nice condenser mics for a budget :)

-Z

3. delirious131

delirious131 Member

Take a look at the Neumann TLM 49. I have a pair of 87's and a pair of these now, and these are getting the most use of my condensers. They are great. i am actually considering selling the 87's. Unfortunately, I have customers who expect me to have an 87. I have had to convince some of these customers that the 49 sounded better. They think that because the 87 is famous it must be the best. Its a great mic, but definitely not the "best". Simply because the best mic doesnt exist. Some circumstances will call for different mic. Sometimes, a 58 is the best mic for a vocal. Spending a ton of money doesnt always mean its the best. Anyways, I own an actual pro studio and this is just my opinion. Good luck with whatever choice you go with.

4. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

The best is the Sony C-800 GPAC :) You too can own one of those heatsink-bearing beauties for a mere installment of 6,999.95! :D

But OP, tae a look at the Project Studios C1 and see if that fits your budget. I think you can get one for 220. It IS Chinese, but if you want cheap they are well designed.

-Z

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've done two different shootouts w/C1s and they always wound up in the "unusable" category. By a long shot. This is unscientific tesing, but it was immediately apparent to everyone in the room, even the female singer - "this one sounds funny." <g>

My fave cheap Chinese condenser is still the MXL V67G.

6. meterman

meterman Supporting Member

Actually I was referring to my abilities, or lack thereof....if I could have one of their voices though I'd take Stephen Stills' :)

7. elambo

elambo Member

Once again the facts are pouring out incorrectly. Peluso's mics are NOT - that's N with an O with a T - made in China, nor are they Chinese mics, not by a long shot.

He buys a couple parts from China, but all the rest are American or German, and he assembles everything himself. Then he tests it thoroughly.

8. elambo

elambo Member

I have to agree here, and I even own a C1 (which I haven't used in at least 8 years).

9. elambo

elambo Member

True, it has shifted a bit, but if the OP is interested in a Peluso but held back by the (false) notion that it's a Chinese mic, I think these sidetracked conversations clarifying that issue would be right on target. If he's not considering a Peluso, this would be on a dirt road.

10. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    I have a C3. It is so bright that I can not use it except as a side mic paired with a 184 in a M/S configuration. And when I say bright, I mean bright x 1,000,000. Brittle sounding.

11. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

No worries from me. Just pointing out that even at 1200 bucks for the Peluso, a great deal to be sure... I think this is beyond the original idea of affordable :D

I got a chance to demo a few Peluso mics. Although the condensers and valve mices were good, my favorite was the R 14 Ribbon. At 650 it's a steal for a great ribbon mic. Anyway, carry on :)

-Z

12. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

I have a C1 that I stripped down and rebuilt with higher quality components. It REALLY smoothed things over. If I could get a really nice gold diaphragm replacement I'd be tempted to try that as well.
    -Z

13. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    The idea of modding the mic has occurred to me. Any suggested component changes, or links to same?

14. rockstarzusa

rockstarzusa Member

Yep, another agreemnet here too..... bye bye C1

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Wrong.

A few parts are made in China but the mics are hand-built in the USA by John Peluso personally.