Any Mullard experts out there?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by doriangrey, Aug 27, 2008.

1. doriangrey

doriangrey Member

2. jockman

jockman Member

Don't look like any Mullard I have ever seen.

3. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

No, IMO, they look like someone printed mullard lettering onto a cheap ass tube.

4. doriangrey

doriangrey Member

Thanks, you guys saved me from a possible BIG disappointment.

What surprises me is that the seller has very good feedback. If they were selling counterfeit tubes, wouldn't at least a few people speak up?

5. doriangrey

doriangrey Member

6. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Even identical Mullards can sound different Even if they test the same.

May I ask how are you using this tube?
    I used KCA just for the picture

I like Andy @ Vintage Tube Services better then any other supplier works best by phone slow as molasses but test the tubes extensivly and stands behind them 100%

his web site is encyclopedic and very deep still best to call him

http://vintagetubeservices.com/616 454 467 3467

7. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

To the OP,, I have never even seen tubes like that. Im not a pro but do own some true Mullards and they deffinatly do not look anything like that.

And Doriangrey,,, Mullard has many rebranded tubes. They are true Mullards but rebranded for varius companies. Matter of fact I have some of those Bogen's and others. They do sound good. And if it helps at all,, the place who is selling that tube,, triodelectronics in Chicago is a legit place. I would feel safe buying from them.

I would like to mention that after buying a bunch of NOS or ANOS tubes off EBAY,,, I found that they do all work and majority sound pretty nice and you can save yourself a bunch of cash but the problem I found was maybe 1/3 of all the tubes I wound up buying this way were microphonic in a combo amp. So its the chance you need to take to save a buck.
    Ive bought quite a few tubes from KCA for example and not a one was microphonic,, but again,, you will pay the price for a good tube.
    Its a chance you need to decide to take.

8. doriangrey

doriangrey Member

I am looking at using 2 Mullard ECC83's in V1 and V3 of my 68 plexi style amp. I'm considering checking out a Telefunken for V2.

9. doriangrey

doriangrey Member

recto-robbie, thank you for sharing your experience, this is very helpful :)

By any chance, did any tubes from triodelectronics turn out to be microphonic?

10. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

I agree totally with groovyrecords here,,,, I also have found the same about the sound of Mullards,, I own maybe 6 or 7 all bought from ebay,
    rebranded, short plate, look identical internally, and have the etched B code on all of them and a few of them just dont seem to have the magic the other 4 have. They sound good but are missing something.

11. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

I dont think I ever bought from Triodelectric but do know that the place is legit. I live in their area and have heard of them and also have read about them on this forum. I cant say your going to get a perfect tube from them but I would trust them over some Joe Shmo out of their garage.

I found when buying on the bay,, I would try to stick with sellers who have sold many tubes with good feedback and also were offering a great price. This way if it didnt work out you didnt get screwed on premium pay.

And just my opinion,, maybe a tube pro can jump in,, I also found when buying tubes for my combo's that it was much safer to buy shortplate tubes than long plates.. It seems to me that longplates are more likely to become microphonic in combos.

12. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    DorianGrey

Those ebay tube where ECC88's thats why I asked where you were using them

Lots of numbers causing lot of confusion here is a breakdown from Andy

http://vintagetubeservices.com/page18a.html

PS for the best tube he is the same as everyone else only with a better guarantee and testing. But since his stock is so deep he has many unknown tubes that are more reasonable and not as well known, some are bargains and he will tell you they are

13. doriangrey

doriangrey Member

I have read that the I61, I63 and I65 all have different tonal characteristics. The 161 is more woody sounding and better suited for Blues. The 163 is more aggressive sounding and killer for Rock. I haven't read to much on the 165.

Perhaps these are the sound differences you may be hearing?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  14. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

15. doriangrey

doriangrey Member

16. doriangrey

doriangrey Member

17. Julia343

Julia343 Member

18. doriangrey

doriangrey Member