Any Music Man amp fans here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Deacon, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Deacon

Deacon Member

I dropped by my local Guitar Center yesterday, and ran across a Music Man RD50 head and 1x12 cab. It's covered in this strange blonde rubber-like stuff ... not sure if that's original. Had the original footswitch with it too.

The 1x12 cab has a EV 12L speaker in it.

I gave the amp a little test drive with a SG Standard, and the amp's clean channel sounded really nice to my ears.

Turns out I know the previous owner. He was the guitar tech at my favorite local gutiar shop (which is now closed ... bummer). The amp's in nice shape electronically. No crackly pots or any other sonic issues that I could tell.

Got the head for $199 and the cab for $149. Thought that was a pretty decent price.

Any thoughts or feedback on these amps?

TIA

2. rhythmeister

rhythmeister Member

I have a '79 Music Man 112-65 combo.

Your prices were great! These amps are built to live through the war. They are particularly great "clean" amps. I think the reverb is tremendous.

Because the preamps are solid state, the distortion sounds available are not so good. If you have a dirt box you really like, you can set the amp clean and use the pedal for that. I've resorted to doing that, though I'm not really a fan of pedal distortion.

I use the amp for practice, home, and small gigs.

Cheers,
    Blair

3. Franktone

Franktone Member

The RD50 is a very loud Musicman amp. You got it for a great price. I believe that the RD50 is more transistor than tube, since the power tubes stay quite cool from what I remember. Nevertheless, the sound is quite good and tube-like. The more cranked up, the better it gets. Two friends had them as combos. They were light to lift and outpowered my 50W Marshall JCM800 single 12 combo I had at the time. At the time I was amazed by the sure volume of them. Again, the deal you got is a big bang for the buck.

4. Deacon

Deacon Member

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I was pretty amazed at how light it was and how good the clean tones were. I have both an OCD and a Zendrive that I like very much. I'm looking forward to trying out the RD50 with those pedals tonight.

5. PFunk

PFunk Member

Nice find on a nice amp. Those were SS on the front-end on channel one and use the 12ax7/ 7025 over on channel two. Get an American NOS in there if there isn't one already, for some enhanced tones. Lots of headroom and plenty of sound. Good build and component quality. The EV compliments the amp nicely. Pedal friendly. I still own several MusicMan amps but for a grab-and-go, my 112 RD 50 with the EVM has been a great performer over the years. Its held its own at many a jam session as well!

6. PFunk

PFunk Member

That blonde "tolex" was also an option in the line towards the end.

7. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I agree with the RD 112 50 being a great amp. I have owned 2, and would snatch up another in a second. Problem is now they are a lot of $$$, and other new amps approach that amount of $.

8. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I've heard that Roger Fisher used a Music man amp on the first Heart album. So I'd say they're nice sounding amps. Didn't Leo Fender design them?