Any MusicMan Bongo players here?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Deaj, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

I've owned a 4 H/H Bongo for a few years now and it has become my favorite bass. Strung with flatwounds it has completely replaced my once favored P-bass and my Roscoe gets almost no play time these days.
    Any other Bongo fans here?

2. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Yes! Just as of yesterday! I wanted a Musicman 5 string. I was looking at Sting Ray 5 string H's HS's, HH's..Thinking about waiting on the new Sterling 5.

But I walked into the 14th st GC yesterday for the sale, and they had a Stealth Bongo HH 5 string...on the list...yellow tagged for $1440, but on the list for $944. Mint, no signs of GC abuse.

Out the door it went with me. This is a great bass. The pre-amp does a lot of things.

[​IMG]

and its all black, it's disappearing!

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Nice score, TK.

I've been really curious about these. I've been 'Rayless for a couple years now, and nothing else quite scratches that itch. They never fully feel like "home" to me, but I always end up coming back for a year or so. So easy to record well, too.

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

nice bass TK! selll it to me!

I have never played bass but i picked up a Stingray a while back and I was this close to taking it home. i really like the Bongo as it is a new design, it's a MusicMan and I am hoping it will be a classic quality instrument for ages.

Question, should I get a 4 string or 5 string?

5. Deaj

Deaj Member

I love that Stealth model! What a great looking bass. Congrats on the great score! :AOK

The Stealth model looks like my Bongo's evil twin. Here's a few shots of my white 4HH:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

I have to say the neck on this is mighty fine. I also love the lighter weight and RESONANCE of the body. This thing sounds great even unplugged.

I go over to the Ernie Ball MM forum from time to time, and Sterling Ball plays a Bongo, there were lots of tips on what the 4 band pre-amp can do.

I am also a fan of pickup blend controls rather than the switching on the Rays and Sterlings.

7. Thor

Thor Member

Love the look of that Stealth Bongo - and what a great deal!!!

There is an army of supporters for the Bongo - a very versital bass with lots of great tones to be had. The shallow side of me simply can't get over the funky aesthetic of them (though I could see myself strapping on that Stealth model). Enjoy it in the best of heath.

Cheers,

Edward

8. bovinehost

bovinehost Member

[​IMG]

I have been known to enjoy the occasional Bongo.

Jack

9. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Welcome Bovine! I recognize that pic from TB!

10. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Apparently, seriously, GC is discontinuing Bongo's, most stores seem to have them at blow-out prices.

Pity, coz normally the 14th st GC has white, black and natural MusicMan Sting Rays and Sterlings. Same with Rudy's (!) White, black and Natural. Only occasioanlly something else: "thats what they send us".

11. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Dude...that bass is SO happening!
    Looks like it belongs to the new Batman!
    It would look way cool leaning against the Batmobile!
    :cool:

S.
    j

12. 2 Loud 4 You

2 Loud 4 You Member

I just can't get past the looks of them. They may play and sound great (don't know) but they just don't do it for me. Kinda like a Parker Fly, sound good, look wierd.

I will say the black one is the best I've seen though.

13. KDSI44

KDSI44 Member

hmm...bongo's...amazing basses.....seriously......wow

14. Deaj

Deaj Member

I brought the white Bongo 4 HH home a little over 3 years ago and it turned my then #1 bass, a Keith Roscoe LG-3000, into a wall decoration. I would not have thought it possible. I knew the Bongo would get plenty of use - especially for recording - but I didn't think the Roscoe would end up taking a back seat, never mind being left at home.

I recently decided to split duty between the two basses - flatwounds for the Bongo and roundwounds for the Roscoe. The astonishingly good sounding Roscoe fell short. I tried it the other way around - again the Roscoe couldn't compete. The Bongo just speaks with more authority, its 4-band EQ and pickup blend offer nearly limitless sonic flexibility, it plays like a dream. My Roscoe LG-3000 has a punchy, authoritative E and it's very balanced and organic sounding. Prior to playing the Bongo I was sure that the Roscoe was 'it'. Well, after several hours over several days of playing both with different strings through different rigs it became clear to me - the Bongo will cover what I like in the Roscoe but with much more tone shaping available. The Rosce sounds no less spectacular on its own but when I play it I want to be playing my Bongo.

I sold the Roscoe yesterday and purchased another Bongo 4 HH, this one in Egyptian Smoke w/ Python pick guard. The white one will wear flatwounds as it has for the last couple of years and the new one will wear roundwounds. I considered purchasing a 5 string Bongo HH but after taking another 5 string for a spin I've just come to the conclusion that I'm a 4-string bass guy. If I ever find that I really want to extend the lower range perhaps I'll install another Hipshot bass extender key on the new one. I'm pretty jazzed! It should arrive on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Here's a quick picture:
    [​IMG]

15. 2 Loud 4 You

2 Loud 4 You Member

FWIW, John Myung of Dream Theater is playing a 6 string Bongo on tour. He never even picked up his Sig model Yamaha.

WOW Deaj, I have yet to find a bass that could even equal much less rival my Roscoe. Granted I haven't played many of the super boutique basses out there but what I have played doesn't feel and sound like home the way my LG-3006 does.

16. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

They look totally rad - not everything should look like a P/J/Stingray :AOK

17. Deaj

Deaj Member

I saw a pic of your Roscoe on your MySpace page - great looking bass! I can't emphasize enough just how great an instrument my Roscoe LG-3000 was. Somehow, though, the funky looking Bongo just does it for me. :)

18. 2 Loud 4 You

2 Loud 4 You Member

Thanks, I've had it for 6 or 7 years now and absolutely LOVE it. The great thing about instruments is there are SOOOO many out there. You're bound to find something that fits you, for me it's my Roscoe, for you it's your Bongos. Sounds like we both win.

19. Deaj

Deaj Member

Indeed! :BEER

20. Deaj

Deaj Member

My new EBMM Bongo arrived yesterday and I'm lovin' it! These things are just amazing! Here's a family pic (the top one is new):

[​IMG]