• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Any MXR Classic 108 fuzz users?

fishinjim

Just picked up a Classic 108 from the emporium here.
Based on what I've seen, heard, and read about this pedal, I'm wondering if mine isn't misbehaving a little... particularly the buffer function.

I've put this pedal before and after others to see if anything changed, but the pedal acts the same regardless of where or with what lined up.
Currently its set up on its ownsome ala...
guitar(humbuckers) ---> pedal ---> amp (25 watt fender solid state).

When I turn on the buffer (light on), I get a slight volume drop and a very large gain/saturation drop.
Example...
With both knobs at noon and the buffer OFF... plenty of volume and fuzz.
With both knobs at noon and the buffer ON... lower volume with only the slightest hint of break up or fuzz. Dial back the fuzz knob at all and you wouldn't know the pedal is engaged. The fuzz does show up when you turn the knob past 1 o'clock... just not as bright, loud, and gritty as without the buffer.
Seems a bit backward to me.

Can any of you 108 users out there tell me if what I've described above is characteristic of this pedal?

Thanks.

Daka3

Had it and found some similar quirks. Got a JH-F1, which not only sounds much better, but is also dead easy to Use: dime and guitar volume to taste. May I suggest a swap?

fishinjim

Had it and found some similar quirks. Got a JH-F1, which not only sounds much better, but is also dead easy to Use: dime and guitar volume to taste. May I suggest a swap?

lol. No joke, I almost bought one earlier today but passed.
May have to reconsider.

skunx

From the who that I have played this is backwards. With the buffer it should be way brighter with more attack and more fuzz. Most of the heavy fuzz was past noon on the dial though.

voorhiessa

I remember that mine was more of a darker overdrive until about 3:00, when it suddenly turned into a bright fuzz. But I think most fuzzes are that way.

Overall, the buffer should increase brightness and volume though.

cdiaz

I remember that mine was more of a darker overdrive until about 3:00, when it suddenly turned into a bright fuzz. But I think most fuzzes are that way.

This is how I remember mine being. I didn't really like the buffer. It turned more into distortion than fuzz with it on. I thought the fuzz sounded pretty good though. Very smooth

Release

Mine is definitely brighter with the buffer on.

The thing with mine is that the fuzz knob seems pretty useless. It's fairly mild until just before it's cranked all the way. Then from 4:30 to 5 it has a HUGE change. Anything below that is pretty much the same. Kind of all or nothing. I know the key is to crank it and ride the volume knob but still. As my first fuzz face, I can't say I'm too impressed. I wonder if this is normal?

Bieling3

The thing with mine is that the fuzz knob seems pretty useless. It's fairly mild until just before it's cranked all the way. Then from 4:30 to 5 it has a HUGE change. Anything below that is pretty much the same. Kind of all or nothing. I know the key is to crank it and ride the volume knob but still. As my first fuzz face, I can't say I'm too impressed. I wonder if this is normal?
That's why to avoid that everyone mods fuzz face clones to have a reverse audio pot:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=100834.0

monty

Ditto here.

I just bought one about a month ago and love it. No loss of volume or sustain on the buffer side. Great pedal, especially with single coils. Loves MY SG as well, FWIW. There is more treble with the buffer on, but it doesn't clean up quite as well. I usually keep the fuzz dimed and use the volume knob for more/less drive. Even with the volume rolled back to 2, the Classic Fuzz still keeps the majority of its volume, but cleaner.

fishinjim

Guys, thanks for all the input.
I just figured out a couple of things, first of which is that I'm a bonehead.

I run my pedals through a true bypass looper. My tu-2 tuner is usually plugged into one of the loops.
I had done some pedal rearranging and plum forgot that I had put the tuner in front of the looper (the tuners buffer was going into all my loops).
Duh.

Disconnected the tuner, and vwaahla, this pedal is now behaving as it should.

Gain and volume are now less when the buffer is not engaged.
Hit the buffer button, and everything gets bumped up a notch.

Basically, it seems as if when there is a buffer in front of the pedal (boss tu-2 buffer at least), the 108's buffer system works almost exactly the opposite of the way it should.
Just so this post wasn't a complete waste of everyones time...
I guess this could be good to know for anyone who wants to put this pedal in their chain after a buffer, as it seems one can still get basically the same sounds from the pedal if they keep in mind the opposite-ness of the buffer when set up this way. YMMV of course depending on your rig.

The one difference that I noticed though was that without a buffer before the pedal, the pedal is more responsive to my guitars volume knob, and clean up with roll off is obtainable.

Again, thanks for the responses guys. I'll triple check everything before throwing up a post like this again.
Maybe someone who comes across this post will learn something from my mistake.

Bieling, thanks for that link/diagram. Learned something new there.

mcnabbanov

hm. i just bought a mxr 108 fuzz too from the emporium. hope you didnt get mine :messedup

did the forumite's name start with the letter k?

fishinjim

hm. i just bought a mxr 108 fuzz too from the emporium. hope you didnt get mine :messedup

did the forumite's name start with the letter k?
Nope. Different sale.
Hope ya like it.
I just spent some more time with this pedal and am quite fond of it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom