Any Nash Guitar Fans out there?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lestercollector, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

I found about about Bill Nash ( nashguitars.com ) three years ago when he built this custom one-off 63 Relic Strat for me. Who else has one or more? post up, lets see it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

That's sexy..... How can you get a hold of one of these guitars since he doesn't deal with the public any more??

3. Lestercollector

You can get them through a few dealers, although they seem to sellout before they make it to the showroom floor. I was told there is something like a two year waiting list on custom colors (like mine). They pop up now and again.

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

Yeah I found a few dealers and they're all gone.... Hmmm.... I saw a 3TSB on ebay, but I'd prefer a custom color. I think I need to finish my '65 Strat project first. :D I really like the gold on yours. He did a great job!

5. Lestercollector

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That strat looks really good. I like that it has 22 frets but everything else is totally vintagey. That's what I want! Wanna sell?!!!!!

7. exodus

exodus Member

2 year wait :rolleyes: damn that is a long time for what amounts to a "part-o-caster". I mean, he buys all the bodys and necks from builders like warmoth and USACG, so the only real work is the finsih and relic work, and some setup. I don't doubt that he gives you want you want (within the restrictions of USACG or warmoth), but there is no reason to wait that long. Buy the parts, have them finished and reliced (plenty of guys to do that), get some hardware and have a local tech put it together and set it up.

Sorry, I don't mean to bash Nash stuff in any way--he seems cool, and I'm not flaming this thread. I just sorta see him as a "put-together" parts guy that does mainly finish work/relic work, and there is no reason to wait that long for it.

8. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I would try Killer Vintage out of St. Louis: www.killervintage.com . Dave Hinson is a very cool guy to work with. The Nash's do sell fast, but you won't have to wait 2 years if you go for a standard color, more like a month would be my guess. While not absolutely cheap, I think it is somewhat reasonable for mid $1000's. Your going to pay just as much from any other mass-produced deal, to say nothing of other boutique builders. On the other hand if you are a tinker-type, you could do almost all of it yourself.

joe

9. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

I have often thought about that myself every time I hear about or see a Nash guitar. He does some great looking stuff. I think the fingerboard wear on the maple neck stuff looks a little bit fake, but some of the best relic work. I have always wondered if he maybe only makes claims of fender liscensed parts stuff to get around the headstock shapes and all.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

If you're running a one-man shop... well, that's PLENTY of reason for the wait.

11. Lestercollector

Buddastrat - Check your PM

12. Lestercollector

Thanks to all for the input. I had Bill make this strat for me three years ago. Back in the day when you could call him and he would setup a webpage to show you the progress. This particular one was a Custom Color to match my Goldtop Les paul. The process was a pain in the A$$ for Bill, and to this day I think it's the only Bullion Gold he has done, I have owned three of Bills creations and (see pic) and each has been a wonderful experience. The Nash is great for Blues and any single coil stuff you might want to throw at it. But Anymore, with the music that I play (BLS, Gov Mule) Im more at home with my Les Pauls, so the Nash sits in the studio. I sold the Blonde, and traded the 3-tone for a Murphy 57 Goldtop.
    [​IMG]

13. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

Back when he was doing custom orders, I had him make me an early 60's style S repro with the following specs: three tone sunburst, super light ash body, chunky flame maple neck with slab brazilian board, 9.5" radius, 6105 frets, thin nitro finish with no aging. The body and neck came from USACG. Well, the guitar is amazing; far better than any of the CS strats I have owned in a similar vein (Time Machine or CS one-offs). It just gets better the more I play it. And the cost was was less than the CS stuff sells for used! I've stopped looking for strats, let's put it that way. :D

14. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Here are my two. Both spec'd the same except for color & p/u's. The sunburst has Fender '54's & the vintage white has Lace Holy Grails. They both are VERY lightly reliced and have a fatback neck carve with 6100 frets. I ordered the white one right before his cut off date for personal custom orders. Too bad he changed the way he accepts orders. I feel it was better before.

BTW, both are killer guitars.:JAM

[​IMG]

15. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

I've got a gold 71 Custom Tele by Bill. It's great

[​IMG]

16. exodus

exodus Member

I'm sure that is the cause of the wait (although I believe Bill Nash also has a young man working with him), along with waiting for suppliers like USACG or warmoth to deliver necks and bodies...

I was really getting at the reason a person would be inclinded to wait 2 years for a part-o-caster. I ask in complete honesty, as I've never played a Nash product--some of them look pretty cool (although others look overdone). So I'm just wondering if they are better than what a person can put together and have finsihed and reliced from one of the many "relic finishers".

17. mainsale

mainsale Member

Yep, I just got my TK-54 which was a custom order that I got in just under the wire. It's his "Church Gig" relic with Lollar pickups. It sounds great and plays even better! I was surprised at its light weight and outstanding resonance with sustain. If he was still doing custom orders, I'd be on the phone to him planning my next one. He makes excellent guitars.:AOK

[​IMG][/IMG]

18. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

Here's my Nash Tele Custom in LPB. I love it. I also own an "Old Friend" Tele custom in fiesta red that RS Guitarworks made. They both kick ass and the relic work is top notch on both. It's hard to see the level of detail on the RS guitarworks, but it's there! Also, on the RS guitarworks guitar, the tone knob is a push/pull and splits the humbucker in the neck. It actually works and is real quite too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Praline

Praline Member

I think that's a pretty good question. Plus, how accurate can a "replica" be if the body is made by Warmoth?

20. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Here's a picture of me playing mine this summer at a Katrina benefit.

[​IMG]