Any neck humbucker's that'l sound like a Tele neck?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imguitardan, Jan 23, 2008.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I love that round tone I get from a Tele neck pickup and hate the dark/dull tone from PAF Humbuckers. I have a SD Jazz in the neck of my LP Custom and it's not chimey enough. I know it's a humbucker but there's got to be something out there that'l give me nice round clean tones. Not looking for blues tones...want bridge for gain and neck for clean tone. What d'ya say?

2. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Try a TV Tron from TV Jones..........not exactly the same, but it sounds like it might be in your ballpark.

3. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Fralin has a couple of wonderful choices ....
    Much as if they were single coils that fit in Humbucker housing ..
    Ones even called the Twangbucker (or something like that ....

4. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Yeah the TV Jones or perhaps a Gibson P94. I think I would rather just look for a great price on a nice playing 2nd hand Tele though. By the time you find the right pickup you'd b into it for the same amount.

5. buchla300

buchla300 Member

I'd go for a P90 in humbucker format.
    Can't beat it on the neck..

6. teXum

teXum Member

You might want to check out the Fralin P-92. Very full sounding, balanced low end, but also very detailed in the highs, and not so much mids as in a HB or P-90. Certainly not dark or dull, compared to the neck pup in my '52 RI, the P-92 sounds more open, more defined both in the highs and lows, but not as woody and mellow as the '52/traditional neck pup sound. I do suspect, though, based on my own experiences, that the round sound you love so much, predominantly is to be found in a good tele neck, and that all other pickups, even if they come close, will be variations of the sound you're looking for.

The Fralin Twangmaster might be even closer to a traditional neck pup, haven't tried it, though.

I would also like to add that not all HB sound dull and dark. Try out a lower "gain" HB like the SD Antiquity, plenty of highs and bite there, IMO.

Best of luck in your search!

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell. It`s VERY close.

8. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

I have a Bare Knuckle Pile Driver in my neck position
    very nice and dark and ballsy- and smooth

9. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

I have an early 70's Gibson minibucker (from a Les Paul Deluxe) in the neck of an alder/rosewood Tele and I love it to death. It pretty much does what you seem to be looking for. If I were still looking, the next thing I'd try would be something from TV Jones, who makes the best pickups ever from my perspective.

best of luck...

10. muddy

muddy Member

tv jones' magna'tron. i put the bridge pup in the neck of my lp/sg. it's frightening how incredible it sounds there, too. it's like the siberia for flubbiness; it can't hack the weather. seriously, NO FLUB! it's the closest i've ever heard ANY hb get to a tele or strat neck sc. you won't believe your ears!

ml