Any negatives of using a 3rd party Midi-Foot-Controller w/ an AxeFXII? (say...Voodoo Ground Control)

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Are there any benefits to using the Fractal MFC-101 instead of something 3rd party? I can get a much better deal on the Ground Control than the price on the MFC-101, but I don't want to do that if there's an overwhelming plus to getting the Fractal brand unit.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Are there any benefits to using the Fractal MFC-101 instead of something 3rd party? I can get a much better deal on the Ground Control than the price on the MFC-101, but I don't want to do that if there's an overwhelming plus to getting the Fractal brand unit.
Nothing else syncs to the Axe FX II like the MFC101. Actually, I believe 2 will, the FCB1010 with the newly upcoming Eurekaprom 3.2 (IIRC) chip and BJDevices controllers. For anything else, you can switch presets and maybe even setup scenes (if the Midi controller supports it), but if you say, setup an IA switch for Drive, you will have to program it as being on or off in each preset on the midi controller or it will not reflect the block state on the Axe FX. The MFC101 also shows the preset name and will display the tuner on the unit (so will the new Eurekaprom chip). So with the the MFC101, you can basically just worry about managing 1 device, the Axe FX. Just about anything else and you have to worry about the Axe FX and the midi controller.
-
Austin

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Have you ever programmed a MIDI controller? If so, you know what you're in for with a 3rd party controller. If all you're doing is selecting presets, it's no big deal but other functions (e.g., "stompbox mode") can be a PITA to set up.

Reactions: rsm

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Have you ever programmed a MIDI controller? If so, you know what you're in for with a 3rd party controller. If all you're doing is selecting presets, it's no big deal but other functions (e.g., "stompbox mode") can be a PITA to set up.
I haven't, this will be my first venture into the Midi-controller world.

Sounds like it's best to just go with the Fractal.

rcl

I got sick of setting names. In a nutshell-MFC is 2 way communication. Normally you would send midi signals to a device to PC or CC to your hearts content but to have the preset tell the controller stuff-like the preset name and what is on when you switch to that preset-priceless. As stated you can save the preset scene with what you want on/off and manually put in the name. But the more you change things, the more painful it gets. GSP1101/C2 are the same thing. Truly plug and play.

mix2much

I really like my ground control pro but honestly, you're far better off with the fractal. Onscreen tuner and automatic preset name sync alone is worth it. Not to mention several other benefits.

Yek

Nothing else syncs to the Axe FX II like the MFC101. Actually, I believe 2 will, the FCB1010 with the newly upcoming Eurekaprom 3.2 (IIRC) chip and BJDevices controllers. For anything else, you can switch presets and maybe even setup scenes (if the Midi controller supports it), but if you say, setup an IA switch for Drive, you will have to program it as being on or off in each preset on the midi controller or it will not reflect the block state on the Axe FX. The MFC101 also shows the preset name and will display the tuner on the unit (so will the new Eurekaprom chip). So with the the MFC101, you can basically just worry about managing 1 device, the Axe FX. Just about anything else and you have to worry about the Axe FX and the midi controller.
-
Austin
The RJM Mastermind GT syncs completely to the Axe-Fx II.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
The RJM Mastermind GT syncs completely to the Axe-Fx II.
From what I understand you have to run a routine to sync presets from the Axe to the GT, which is therefore not a true sync. This is the same thing the Liquidfoot controllers did/do. Please let me know if I am wrong. At any rate those weren't worth mentioning in the context of the OP since he's looking for a way to spend less than the cost of an MFC101 and both the companies I mentioned cost way more :D
-
Austin

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
I see the newest version of the MFC allows for FASLINK connection, which is over a standard XLR cable, and it powers the unit as well. That rules, as it completely eliminates any reason for any other cables running to the board. I think that sold me on it.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
I see the newest version of the MFC allows for FASLINK connection, which is over a standard XLR cable, and it powers the unit as well. That rules, as it completely eliminates any reason for any other cables running to the board. I think that sold me on it.
Well yes, but you've always been able to power the mfc101 with one cable; it was just an Ethernet/ethercon cable before. What sold me on the Mk3 MFC101 are the silent switches. So much nicer than the loud ones on the previous versions.
-
Austin

barhrecords

The Fractal helps you with 3rd party controller setup too.

I use a TC Electronics VoiceLive 3 to control my Fractal XL+.

In the Fractal, the controller mapping has a "learn" mode. Hook up the midi out of your foot controller to the Fractal midi in, navigate to the controller you want to program, press Enter, hit the footswitch.

The Fractal senses the midi in and sets the controller up for that footswitch.

I have the same preset in the TC copied to different preset locations with the name changed to match my Fractal presets. So when I change the TC preset the name in the TC display is like the Fractal preset name.

I wish I had a few more buttons, but right now I have preset up / down and five toggles to turn multiple efx on / off.

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Well yes, but you've always been able to power the mfc101 with one cable; it was just an Ethernet/ethercon cable before. What sold me on the Mk3 MFC101 are the silent switches. So much nicer than the loud ones on the previous versions.
-
Austin
Sweet! I didn't know about the switches. Very cool.

I did know about the Ethernet/Ethercon thing. Those cables are just more expensive than an XLR, and not as durable in my experience. I can get a nice heavy-duty XLR that I won't worry about stepping on. There's no Ethercon cable that I feel confident in stepping on.

Yek

From what I understand you have to run a routine to sync presets from the Axe to the GT, which is therefore not a true sync. This is the same thing the Liquidfoot controllers did/do. Please let me know if I am wrong. At any rate those weren't worth mentioning in the context of the OP since he's looking for a way to spend less than the cost of an MFC101 and both the companies I mentioned cost way more :D
-
Austin
in the past a run was needed to retrieve preset names. This is no longer required.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
in the past a run was needed to retrieve preset names. This is no longer required.
So if I do something like add a drive block to a preset and then save it, I wouldn't need to run something on the RJM to rescan the preset? It will just automatically update itself like the MFC would? If so a GT16 is in my future!
-
Austin

Yek

So if I do something like add a drive block to a preset and then save it, I wouldn't need to run something on the RJM to rescan the preset? It will just automatically update itself like the MFC would? If so a GT16 is in my future!
-
Austin
Correct!

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
FAMC Liquidfoot+ is better than MFC in my opinion, having to put little stickers on the MFC vs. dynamic scribble strips on the LF+ is a huge downgrade of functionality.... *but*... when it comes to learning how to program the FAMC stuff I'd rather have to file my income taxes monthly than have to go through that learning curve again....

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
FAMC Liquidfoot+ is better than MFC in my opinion, having to put little stickers on the MFC vs. dynamic scribble strips on the LF+ is a huge downgrade of functionality.... *but*... when it comes to learning how to program the FAMC stuff I'd rather have to file my income taxes monthly than have to go through that learning curve again....
I had a Liquidfoot Pro a few year back. I wouldn't touch any of their products at this point though, even used. Company support is sporadic at best and with a product that complex it's likely you'll need support at some point. The RJM Mastermind GT series seems like a much safer bet there and AFAIK, they offer all the same benefits that Liquidfoot stuff does.
-
Austin

Last edited:

Pat Healy

I had a Liquidfoot Pro a few year back. I wouldn't touch any of there products at this point though, even used. Company support is sporadic at best and with a product that complex it's likely you'll need support at some point. The RJM Mastermind GT series seems at much safer bet there and AFAIK, they offer all the same benefits that Liquidfoot stuff does.
This. Wonderful products, but the company seems to be on life support, or worse.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
MIDI is MIDI is MIDI

Shouldn't make any difference.

An benefit of a third party controller is that most have very good GUI editors that allow you to shape presets however you want them and save them. All you'd have to do is set it up once, then just recall that setting when you play.

Trending Topics