Any Neodymium Fans Out There?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MojoTone82, Feb 8, 2015.

1. MojoTone82

MojoTone82 Member

Hey Fellas.

It wasn't until recently I started playing around with some neodymium speakers, I guess I had this preconceived notion that they would sound thin or too "hi-fi" for me...

However, after buying my Celestion Century Vintage I was realized I was thoroughly misinformed as I very much enjoy the sound of the Century... So this lead me of course to research more Neo's on the market.

I was actually looking for something loud and capable to handle lower tunings to throw in a closed back 1x12, I was leaning toward an EVM12L or "clone" so naturally I came across the Emi Delta Pros...

With his in mind and my fascination with Neo speakers, I decided to order a deltalite ii 2512 and Im hoping I made the right choice... I know some have experience with the Deltalite's, and I'm hoping they won't sound to "PA" system. I wonder why builders have not developed MORE Neo based speakers, from what I have heard they have HUGE potential in the market, yet it doesn't seem to be gaining much traction!

If anyones interested I might do an A/B test between the Century Vintage & Deltalite ii 2512 once it arrives :phones

2. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I have enjoyed a Jensen Tornado, for a few years now. It's nice and open, good clarity and can handle power. I enjoy lots of other speakers as well. I think some players are sort of uncomfortable with the idea. I was, until I heard the speaker unidentified , liked it, asked what it was. Then it happened again!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  3. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

Please do the comparison! Try a Jensen Neo Tornado, too.

Guitar players tend to be ultra-conservative about gear. Bass players have been loving neo speakers for years.

4. slybird

slybird Member

I would love an honest/unbiased assessment of the Deltalite. Reviews at Parts Express are mixed. Found only one recording with the Deltalite and guitar on Youtube.

5. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

ive always liked the neo speakers i had on my blackstar series one. is there such thing as a neo v30?

6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I haven't tried a Neo speaker that I didn't like and so far I've tried the Jensen 12-100, Tornado and the Eminence Lil Texas. I don't understand why more don't like them but I guess they are younger and don't mind the extra weight.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I love my Jensen Tornados and 12-100s but I didn't care for the pair of Emi Lil Texas speakers I tried at all. I liked but didn't love the Weber Neo-Mag I had.

8. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I don't have any in my own amps. But my bass player has one of those new Gallien-Kruger bass combos with them and it sounds excellent.

He used to have a huge heavy ampeg set up and finally decided to try to get something more portable having never turned the ampeg beyond 2.

The GK shakes the stage with its 1x15. I think he's turned it up to 3 or 4 at the last show we did without PA reinforcement in a medium sized club type room.

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Celestion Century Vintage, I like these very much.

10. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I've used the Jensen 12-100's, 15-100, Tornado and the Deltalite. I never got along with the green Jensens but thought the Tornado was a nice speaker - fairly neutral, modern sounding and took gain well. Wish it was more efficient though.

I had been running an EV12L in an extension cab and wanted to go back to a combo when I tried the Deltalite. The DL actually sounded better in a combo cab than the EV (the EV sounded amazing in the extension mind you) and was a fair bit lighter of course. It got very close to the EV sound, in a live mix it could be hard to tell the difference.

11. Category 5

Category 5 Member

We use them a lot. The jenson neos were a great neutral speaker, unavailable now, but they were great-flat response, what you put in comes out. Eminence lil texas are good for cleaner tones. Tornados are more of a dirty tone speaker, IMO. Wish the old jensons would come back.

DonR

12. RG955TT

RG955TT Member

I have a DV Mark 4x12 with their Neo speakers and it is my favorite cab. Doesn't hurt that it weights like 40 lbs and I can carry it easily with one hand up the stairs etc. But the speakers are really quite excellent

13. Jon Silberman

True for the 12-100s - the Tornados that replaced them are readily available now.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  14. haslar

haslar Member

The Tornado is what I use the most. I think I like them even more than my Scummies, which is no small feat.

15. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Anybody heard the Eminence EPS12C? Supposed to be for pedal steel but I thought it might be an EV type speaker.

16. dju

dju Member

17. Jon Silberman

Here's my Jensen Tornado-loaded TRM 2X10. It's a sweet-sounding cab all right!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

I guess I'm a fan. I've got a Telonics 12" in my Milkman, a Telonics 15" in my Webb, a Jensen Neo 100 in my 73 Deluxe Reverb, and another pair of Neo 100s in my 68 Twin. All great sounding amps. Although I'd really only call the Milkman and the DR "lightweight". I guess the others are just "less heavy".

19. terrapin

terrapin Member

So, people seem to like the Tornado 12" quite a bit. Tell me how it does in a tweed circuit for maintaining pure Fender Tweed sound. My Juke Coda, which I stupidly sold, came stock with a Neo-100 and I really liked it. I now have a 5f6-A circuit tweed and was thinking of trying a Neo, but I was gonna search for a Neo-100 because of their neutral sound and balance.

20. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

My Hot Rod Deluxe White Lightening Edition came with a Celestion G12 Vintage with a neodynium magnet. I really love it. Shaves some weight off of the amp as well.