Any new mods for the Fender Champion 600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bobby, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Bobby

Bobby Member

Just wondering, after reading a bunch of old posts, if anyone has come up with any new mods for the 5 watt Fender Champion 600?

2. dad gad

dad gad Member

What were the old ones?

3. thedavide

thedavide Member

4. luv2playm

luv2playm Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the Mercury Magnets kit for the Champion? If yes, what's your impression?

5. Bobby

Bobby Member

O.K. this is not a great start. From this and other sites other mods included swapping out the tubes (with very different results both good and bad), adding a Weber speaker, ways to reduce hum, fixing the fizziness of the tone by replacing/fixing the foil inside the amp.

Changing the transformer (the Mercury mod) is a tad radical for me and besides, that is never coming up as a problem. Absolutely NOBODY is complaining about how this little sucker can power multiple drivers with the original transformer. The mods I'm looking for are more about getting rid of the fartyness and boxy sounds.

6. juice

juice Member

Simple answer is to bypass the onboard 6" speaker and just run it into an extension cab. 5W is plenty of power to push a 1x12 and sound huge.

Boxiness and fartyness gone.

7. dad gad

dad gad Member

You can lift the ground end of the R19 resistor and it bypasses the tone stack effectively doubling the volume. I put it on a switch. I also blew my output tranny, so I have a hammond 125cse int here and it sounds extra chimey. The key is to use the 10k primary.

8. dad gad

dad gad Member

And I put a switch in to be able to switch to 4,8,16 ohm speaker output.

9. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

What Cab would be good?

10. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

Does no one have a recommendation for a cab to use with a Champion 600?

11. Jaybird03

Jaybird03 Member

There are many cabs available. I might suggest that seeing as how this is a low cost amp, that a low cost cab which sounds good might be in line. I have tried the Epiphone 1x12 cab made for its Valve Jr. head and it is quite amazing for $129. I must add that I play harp, so am looking for different qualities of sound. What you want to hear is pretty subjective, and will vary from ear to ear.

12. Bobby

Bobby Member

Sorry to bring back this old thread but I found this on a Canadian guitar forum and some champ 600 owners are thinking about modding their gear might find it interesting:

The posted schematic of this amp ( http://www.fender.com/support/amp_sc...0Schematic.pdf ) reveals that it has what essentially amounts to a fender tonestack inside which is "preset". Turn your attention to the resistor ladder made of R19/R22/R20/R21. Now turn your attention to the tonestack in an amp like a standard Blackface Champ: http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/champ_aa764_schem.gif

See the similarity? The 180k/75k pair made by R20/R21 is essentially a standard 250k treble pot/control set to a fixed position. That resistor pair can easily be replaced by a 250k pot with the pot wiper being the junction of the two resistors. The 15k R19 component can also be turned into a midrange control as it is on the Vibrato channel of this Super reverb: http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/su...b763_schem.gif

If you replace R19 with a 25k pot, you'll get a few advantages. First, you'll be able to dial in a nice midrange dip/scoop as the pot resistance is decreased. Second, by turning the resistance value of that pot up, you'll actually get a sort of rounded boost as the increased pot resistance reduces the amount of passive signal bleed. You could probably even get more boost with a 50k pot, though I imagine you'd need to tinker with the taper of the pot to get optimum dialability.

I was turned onto this by a 25 year-old article in POLYPHONY which showed how simply lifting the ground side of R19 (and its functional equivalents in other Fender amps) effectively cancelled the tonestack and all of the passive loss it introduces to produce tone shaping. With less passive loss, more signal hits the second half of the 12AX7 for some nice overdrive.

Finally, note that the classic fender "bright" switch is essentially a small value cap across the input and wiper lugs of the volume pot, as amply illustrated in the Super reverb schem. No reason why that couldn't be implemented in the Champion 600.
    Bottom line: The Champion 600 makes a nice base for an easy to mod amp that can be turned into what is essentially a Blackface Champ for much less than the cost of one on the open market. Plugged into a bigger speaker, like a 10" or 12" in a different cab, I'll bet it makes a really nice amp.

13. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I replaced the 6v6 & 12ax7 with NOS tubes. IT was a huge improvement all the way around. Its not the same amp after that. Eventually I would like to get the Weber 6" in there also.

I have to say to you mod freaks. By the time you do all the mods you speak of, why not just get a vintage Champ,(70's will do). Or better yet the Superchamp XD?

14. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I don't buy the run it through a bigger cab thing with this amp. It just doesn't sound good with my greenback 2x12, alnico blue dog 2x12 or a 2x10 with eminience alnicos. Maybe with an eq in front of it?

I've put a JJ 6v6 in it and changed the 12ax7 (I forget what's in it now) which improved it. But to me it seems to sound better through the stock speaker than the bigger cabs I've tried, but it definitely could sound better. I might try the weber out.

The best tones I've got from the champion 600 is when running a sansamp classic pedal in front of it. I'm betting my incoming Kingsley Jester will make it a lot better than it is hopefully.

As far as noodling in the living room volumes go, the champion 600 is a fun little toy but even at the those low volumes I get 3000% better tones with my valvetech hayseed and ultimate attenuator. The champion is a lot easier to carry around though especially when the wife tells you to get your **** back to the jam space.
    ;)