• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Any new, small builders from last 2-3 years you’ve take a chance on and won?

Bhanny

Phil Orisek has made me two of the most beautiful and sweet sounding guitars around. The first a LP style that absolutely rocks. The second a Tele that I literally can’t put down. This guy is maniacal when it comes to precision and quality control. The different tone woods he selects form the perfect marriage in the final product. Guys these guitars absolutely play like butter. Especially that Tele. Damn. I would completely vouch for this guy. He also happens to be one hell of a nice guy. I’m traveling but happy to post pics later. I just didn’t want to miss the opportunity to give Philster appropriate props in this thread.

Izy

Took a chance and bought a D'pergo.....now I am constantly thinking of getting another. Dang!!

martyncrew

Platinum Supporting Member

Tj56

I was also lucky enough to work with Wide Sky Guitars and everything worked out perfectly. I believe his waiting list is pretty long now but when I ordered it I was told a 6-month wait and I received it right around the 6 month mark. He was extremely easy to work with and responsive to my questions, and on top of all that, the guitar is incredible!

tvegas99

Silver Supporting Member
small builder from Delaware, Nick Bucci is a luthier that makes acoustic and electric guitars

edgie

I'm about 6 weeks into owning a super cool The Owl from Nicolai Schorr in Berlin. His website is: http://schorrguitars.de/.

My guitar is this one:

Super cool, great aesthetic to my eyes, great playability and tone, and quite a bit of innovation when you start to notice the details. As a bonus, was 3 months total from payment to guitar in my hand including shipping from Berlin to the US and all in the context of a global pandemic and multiple state/country lockdowns. Pretty impressive!
Brandon
I know it's been months now since you posted but if you are reading this, I'd like to know more about this and what pros and cons have you experienced since owning this wonderful piece of art. Schorr Guitars have fascinated me since I saw them about 2 years ago but not much info or user reviews on them.

So is the neck only attached to the body with bolts and no wood contact? I'm also curious how you find the pickup vs the typical ones. Yours has my favorite aesthetics among the Schorrs I've seen online.

EDIT: I revisited my Instagram after some months of inactivity and found out the builder is more active there and I got to know more about the neck joint and the overall build. : )

Last edited:

outtahear

Silver Supporting Member
Loic LePape...
This 'un's mine. Hollow steel body, mahogany neck.
Early Jim Wagner dogear, VIP pots. Been fan of his work for a year before this one coming up for sale, really an impulse buy. Hard to explain, but haven't been this inspired by a guitar since I played Jimmy Scott's 24 fret Zemaitis in '83.

twwyls637enrlehxjtkk.jpg

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
Got this semi-hollow Telecaster from Ramsay, really nice guitar although it's superfluous now that I found my 69:

AD

Platinum Supporting Member
I think Frank Bros. may have been around more than 3 years. I visited the Bros. in late January at their facility and was impressed enough to put an order. I’ve had the guitar for 6 weeks and remain very happy with the guitar. In fact, it exceeded my expectations. Superb guitar in every aspect.

0268844D-92D1-4D52-8FDF-DCF19A6F5D2E.jpeg

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
Very Impressed with what I've heard about Marvin Guitars, so I'm nabbing this one next week. . . Getting loaded with some Arcane Ultratron's. . . can't wait to air it out.

MARVin.jpg

Paul Conway

Haven't laid hands on one of these yet but am told they are v good

s2y

I guess I've been acoustic for the last couple of years.

1. Bob Thompson. Bought hot rodded versions of the D18 and D28. Loud flat picking machines! Also picked up an OM-41 "clone" with Brazillian back/sides. Best sounding and most versatile guitar I've ever touched or heard.

2. Jonathan Razo. He makes modern artsy OMs. Excellent for that modern fingerstyle tone.

3. Don Sharp. Picked up a steeply discounted Brazilian rosewood dreadnought due to cracks in the rosewood, which he had repaired. Great sounding guitar.

cmatthes

I was visiting Shishkov HQ over the weekend, and as always, am blown away by the stuff he's got cooking. A few recent guitars that flew out to their new homes...the 24K Gold Leaf top and Macassar Ebony top ones are killer.

Attachments

Trending Topics