Any news on the Friedman "Jake E. Lee" amp?

vintage66

I’d be really interested if it’s geared toward his Badlands era sound. I’m guessing not though. Are the 20 watt Mini Friedamans loud enough to gig with? Louder than a Tiny Terror?

Schafrocks

could be like wise--however I heard an interview with him several yrs back where he went on and on about Budda amps-and for the record Im not promoting Budda amps
Yeah, that was the 90’s. Lol.

From what Dave said on Tonetalk, he was using a small box on the plexi channel cranked. I’m trying to remember, but I think he said he made some tweaks to the lead channel but mainly a plexi on 10.

I don’t think he had a solid date for a release other than to say it’s probably going to be a limited release.

I also saw a while back that Dave did an amp for Neil Schon, too. Looked maybe like a tweaked BE?

Maybe someone else could chime in?

Last edited:

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't have any clue who he was and really wasn't trying to be a dick either. He played with Ozzy for 5 years in the 80s is what I found (30 years ago). Otherwise pretty dang obscure.
He replaced one of the greatest rock metal guitarist of all time, and did so very well. He then formed a band called Badlands and was absolutely ferocious on guitar. Still to this day some of the best raw rock tones on record.

Telefunky

Badlands... was absolutely ferocious on guitar. Still to this day some of the best raw rock tones on record.
I met Jake and said exactly that to him. He was quite satisfied with the Badlands tones, but said the tones he achieved on the BATM sessions were far better, and considered it one of the greatest guitar tones ever captured on tape.
When he heard the final record he wanted to cry. Apparently Max Norman and Ozzy went on a 3 day binge and mixed the record in a highly altered state. Tommy Aldridge quit the band the moment he heard it.

hagstrom71

When he heard the final record he wanted to cry. Apparently Max Norman and Ozzy went on a 3 day binge and mixed the record in a highly altered state. Tommy Aldridge quit the band the moment he heard it.
I wish Max Norman mixed BATM. Tony Bongiovi who owned the Power Station mixed it.. probably on a 3 day binge with Ozzy.

NHDave

Silver Supporting Member
Jake e lee was shaken down by ozzy and Sharon over songwriting credits on batm. (Ozzy the kindly old uncle pfff). I wish there was a me too movement for people in show business who are victims of the “you’re lucky to be here kid take it or leave it ” and don’t get compensated fairly. So if he gets a few bucks from Friedman good for him.

vintage66

I met Jake and said exactly that to him. He was quite satisfied with the Badlands tones, but said the tones he achieved on the BATM sessions were far better, and considered it one of the greatest guitar tones ever captured on tape.
I’d love to hear it the way it’s supposed to sound.

markjsmith

Gold Supporting Member
Had to look him up. Surprised he would be getting a sig amp.
I didn't have any clue who he was and really wasn't trying to be a dick either. He played with Ozzy for 5 years in the 80s is what I found (30 years ago). Otherwise pretty dang obscure.
Bark At The Moon was a huge record, the Ultimate Sin was pretty big both garnered MTV videos and he played the US Festival, the Badlands record wasn't as huge but still really great more MTV, he was in RATT for a while (early days) and I believe Armored Saint IIRC That's not exactly obscure by anyone's definition unless you're from a different period or just weren't paying any attention! Not trying to be a douche, just trying to give the guy his due! I dug his playing! At that time the Ozzy gig was about as high profile as you could get for a guitarist!

wyldefan

Gold Supporting Member
From my understanding the Jake E Lee amp a 100 watt Small Box will not be a signature amp.

monkmiles

Silver Supporting Member
There's a YouTube interview with Friedman and Jake that is an amusing watch in which they briefly talk about it.

This is the one he used on tour with Red Dragon Cartel (you can see the JEL logo):

Last edited:

Radar

Jake E Lee was once playing at a bar about 5 minutes from my home, that probably fits no more than 100 people. Would you guys consider that a normal crowd for a guy like him now?

CJReaper

Bark At The Moon was a huge record, the Ultimate Sin was pretty big both garnered MTV videos and he played the US Festival, the Badlands record wasn't as huge but still really great more MTV, he was in RATT for a while (early days) and I believe Armored Saint IIRC That's not exactly obscure by anyone's definition unless you're from a different period or just weren't paying any attention! Not trying to be a douche, just trying to give the guy his due! I dug his playing! At that time the Ozzy gig was about as high profile as you could get for a guitarist!
Not Armored Saint, it was Rough Cutt who were being managed by Wendy Dio, that's how he got the short-lived gig with Dio.

EL84 Abuser

Jake is my hero. In the era when everyone was tapping and using whammy bridges he gets the biggest gig on the planet and doesn't tap or whammy.

Story goes he showed up for the audition with a gorgeous girl on each arm, NAILED IT!, and then left with his threesome.

Telefunky

Rough Cutt were being managed by Wendy Dio, that's how he got the short-lived gig with Dio.
Wendy was rather smitten with Jake, and Ronnie saw potential domestic problems.

The official version was “Jake’s image didn’t fit what Ronnie wanted”.

Well I guess that’s one way of saying it...

Last edited:

Trending Topics