Any NJ/NYC techs (besides Daves Sound,TimeElec,Fuchs) that have time for custom work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by XXTwighlight, Feb 15, 2012.

1. XXTwighlight

XXTwighlight Supporting Member

I am from the North Jersey area (morristown) and seek a Pro Tech or Pro hobbyist to either reconfigure an amp I have (take reverb out of circuit/omit channel 1 input/omit master vol/etc. Maybe transfer chassis to a smaller chassis...?
    No offense to Daves,TimeElec,Fuchs, but they seem a bit busy and prob wouldnt take on such a job. Dave's always loaded down with work , Fuchs is on the higher end, etc.
    Maybe you know a retired Tech or pro hobbyist, Engineer student with Music background? lol! That may be interested?

North Jersey would be ideal, but NYC is fine, as well as sending it off out of state ,I guess, if need be.

2. John II

John II Member

Jimmy Somma of Sommatone is your answer. Jimmy Somma (do a search and learn more about him and his killer amps) is his handle here on the gearpage. Very talented guy who understands the value of offering great service to everyone. He has done a great job building his business.

If I recall, he recently moved to the Basking Ridge area which is about 25 minutes south of Morristown. Very convenient for you.

3. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Fuchs serviced my Univox U-45 a few years back without any grumbling. Based on that, I wouldn't say he works just on higher-end amps.

4. XXTwighlight

Yeah I know Sommatone...yes , great amps.
    But I was trying to steer from the popular techs due to cost and how busy they are to take on a project.
    I was hoping there was someone who really knows thier stuff , but is more low key without building popular boutiques or swamped/rushing with backorders.

5. Double V

Double V Supporting Member

Dennis Kager at Central Jersey Music in Edison

6. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Jimmy is working on my amp at present. Very nice guy, reasonable, and a great player FYI. Being in NJ, the amp state, you also have Andy fuçhs as mentioned and Louis Rosano, although I don't know if Lou does repair work.

When I had a problem w a Genz Benz amp a couple of years ago, Jeff sent me to an amp repair shop in Bloomfield on the main drag there. They seemed to know their stuff and after reading your second post perhaps they'd be a good fit. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the place.

7. guitarb

guitarb Member

Mark Hurst ...works out of Cranford Guitar.....no complaints with the work he's done for me and at reasonable rates. 908-468-6176

8. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

9. jkelly25

jkelly25 Member

Andy Fuchs did a good job on my musician in under a week (including a long weekend). Can't comment on the cost as I never had an amp serviced before. No tube or cap changes since it was new in 1978.

10. thegrizman

thegrizman Supporting Member

I am a big fan of Dave's sound but I live closer to Jimmy Somma now so I dropped off my Gibson J-50 (1968) for a setup. It has never played better, feels like a brand new instrument for under 70 bucks.

11. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

George Allesandro in Philly is another option.

12. XXTwighlight

I just kinda fear these bigger name boutique guys in reference to what they may charge compared to a pro hobbiest or retired tech or someone more of a local repair tech business.
    I dont mention that to be offensive or disrespectful. Alot of the people mentioned make great amps for sure, but to do a custom one-off job may run alot of money since they have a rep of building thier popular name models.
    But thanx for any tips and such. Its all helpful and considered.
    Thanx

13. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

the amp repair guy at Robbies music in Wayne appears to really know his stuff. have not had any work done my him (I usually go to Daves) but I have talked with him, and would consider going to him next time I need amp work.

14. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

post on ampgarage. lots of guys there could do what you want and a good number are in NJ