Any non shredders using jazz picks?

danel59

I have used Jazz III’s for many years (approximately 40)and I’m definitely not a shredder. Have tried a few other styles just to experiment but always come back to the Jazz III’s

Thorsday

You don't have to be a shredder to use a rigid pointy plectrum. Will Isbey makes insanely awesome Jazz variants in Titanium. I swear by those picks.

ShonRomeoBey

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I do play fast sometimes but switching to Jazz III's was more of a practical thing overall than to chase any style. They take all of that material off of the side of the pick that is not hitting the strings.

I don't know how I ever used anything else lol.

Pick53766

Ultex Jazz XL for the win. I play slowly. I just like them. My teacher always wonders why I am using such a stiff pick and I always reply that this way "I know where I am". I kind of dislike the feeling of the plucked string "giving way" somewhat at random due to pick flex. Naaah... you go when I tell you to.
I may be wrong, IDK.

Sloppyfingers

I've been using those little blue Jazz 3 stubbies since I started playing in the 80's,.For my acoustic, I use a standard fender light.
My only complaint is that my upper wrist on my thumb side gets cramped up sometimes..For awhile, I was thinking about changing picks, because as a rock player I thought that maybe the Jazz3's were hindering my rhythm strumming, but you can really dig in with these picks, so I'm glad I never changed.They are great for pedal tone style rhythms..I just learned to loosen my grip a bit for some of the strumming patterns. I bought some online funk lesson courses, and the Jazz3's are good for funk as well. There are upsides and downsides to every pick I suppose..The challenge for using Jazz3's are those full open chord strumming patterns.

GoobyPls

I'm a former jazz guy who built up a supply of Dunlop Jazz III's. Then when I switched over to indie psych, I found out that I like their control better than what I get from softer, standard picks. I still use the more conventional ones for simple strumming, but 80% of the time I'm using a Jazz III

GrayGoesBlack

I play some jazz, some stoner, some ambientexperimentalshoedronepostpunkgazerock, but definitely nothing fast, and a while ago I just bought a whole of different picks just to try and find the ultimate one. I've settled on the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2.0mm. The material, the grip, the smoothed edges, it's just works great as an allrounder.
I do now have quite the selection of picks which may serve specific purposes/styles, but the ultex jazz is my main go-to.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
Been using Ultex Jazz IIIs since the week they came out. Love them. In my youth I wanted to be a shredder but it wasn’t for me. I like the jazz style pick because I’m more of a hybrid picker and I feel like I can get my “plucking” fingers closer to the strings.

Also, big hands here. Size 11 (XXL) glove.

ShonRomeoBey

Silver Supporting Member
Ultex Jazz XL for the win. I play slowly. I just like them. My teacher always wonders why I am using such a stiff pick and I always reply that this way "I know where I am". I kind of dislike the feeling of the plucked string "giving way" somewhat at random due to pick flex. Naaah... you go when I tell you to.
I may be wrong, IDK.

Interesting perspective, never thought about that.

Buddhist#6

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
I tried em, but there too small for my strumming style, that I just end up hitting my thumb on the string, and my hands are on the smaller side. Also I’m not a shredder or jazzer I’m more a punky, grungy player. I like the grip on em though.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
They're great for a lot of things, but I don't like them for everything.

I tend to like them for times when I need more precision and control, but personally I still think medium celluloid 351 picks sound way better.

I tend to default to the medium celluloid, and switch to the Jazz III for times when I want more precision/control, or a bit of a warmer and fatter attack

I discovered Jazz III XLs a couple years ago and now that's all I use, and I'm neither a shredder or jazz cat. The normal Jazz IIIs are just too small but I love the pointy profile.

Fedx

They're hard to find here where I lived, so I started using them not long ago. I love them, they're small so I don't have a lot of material to hold in my fingers. It's like I'm using my nails. And no problems in holding them with big fingers.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I like the Jazz pick contour, but prefer a larger version and a little more grip. So, I found Honey Picks and have ordered larger sizes as well as their many different shapes for varying styles.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom