1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any NVN Dinosaur Fuzz Owners Here?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by indytone, Nov 22, 2005.

1. indytone

indytone Member

I am so stoked. I just traded a Russian Small Stone, newish MXR Distortion+, and Boss CS-3 for a mint Nine Volt Nirvana Dinosaur Fuzz pedal.

I love the sound and versatility of this pedal. With the main switch on I can have it completely fuzzed out with tons of low end and clarity, and with the other switch on I can get ear-scraping Shellac-style tones from it.

I'm wondering two three things:

1. What settings have you found to be best for different tones?

Right now I have mine set like this for a good fuzz (bass+clarity) tone + the Shellac sound:
    v 3:00
    t 12:00
    g 3:00
    r 7:00

First in my effect chain; going into my Silvertone 1484.

2. Have any of you messed with the innards of this thing at all? The letter that came with it mentioned switching stuff out. Is it relatively easy? I can solder, but am by no means an electronic wiz. What have been your results?

3. What kind of power supplies have you found to use with these? I know I can't use it with my Furman pedal board because of the positive polarity.

2. HBob

HBob Member

I like mine! It has a nice open sound on the lower gain settings that I really like. I like that it can get brighter than my other fuzz pedals without sounding too much like an ice pick in the ear. I also like the grittiness of it. A great pedal that gets overlooked. I think I tried messing with an internal trim pot and put it back where I found it. I got mine used - I think it's stock. I think I could remove a chip or something inside but it's fine as is.

3. indytone

indytone Member

Are there schematics for this pedal anywhere? I checked google and every link I found was dead. The reason I ask is that I opened up the pedal and adjusted the tone trimpot on the side/back of the board as well as the one running perpedicular on the front side of the board. I then noticed a third trim pot, but I couldn't get to it with my screw driver, and I'm just wondering what that adjustment is for.

I now have this thing sounding even better than before. I love how customizable this pedal is.
    :dude

4. HBob

HBob Member

Keep an eye on the tone knob when you turn one of those "trim pots" inside. I think the Dino Fuzz is the pedal I thought I was adjusting a trim pot on that was affecting the tone and I was actually just turning the tone knob from the back of the pot. Doh!

5. indytone

indytone Member

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. (the black flat-head rubber piece on the pot) The adjustable trim pot controllers are actually soldered on the circuit board. You can use a really small flat-head screwdriver to adjust them.

6. dosmun

dosmun Member

Most likely the trim pots you are asking about are to set the bias on the Trannys.

7. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Dos is right. The 20K trim pot biases the trannies and the 470K trim is for treble enhancement. The 470K should be the one that is perpendicular to the long side of the board. I'll e-mail a schematic to you along with a couple of mods that Joe posted.

8. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

The trim pot you want to adjust does run along the long side of the board, theres also a socketed tone cap across the volume pot so you can try different values. teleblaster :D

9. indytone

indytone Member

thanks guys. i'm really wanting to know what the third trim pot does though.

10. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Where is the third trim pot located and can you tell the value?

11. indytone

indytone Member

Just bumping because after reorganizing my pedalboard, this is still my main fuzz/boost pedal. Seriously, if you can find one, get one.