Any NYC Broadway pit guitar players on here?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jpennington, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jpennington

jpennington Member

My wife and I recently relocated to NYC from Philadelphia and I'm looking to get a bit further into the network of guitarists and musicians up here.
    Possibly looking to start doing sub work for any main seated players.
    Is there anyone up here in NYC with any experience or connections like this?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

Not from NYC, but as someone who's done a fair number of shows myself I'm definitely interested in hearing about the rigs, experiences, etc. of folks who do it professionally.

3. bigeric

bigeric Member

I was a band leader in NYC for many years. Many of the sidemen I hired had primary chairs in B'way productions. The studios were still in business at the time but were coming to an end. So session players were migrating to society gigs and B'way gigs. The last 10 years have been brutal for most live players
    with the end of society work [which went to DJ's btw] and virtually all session work coming to an end. Now the top players in NYC are all pretty much available all the time. So the possibility of getting a show now are that much more difficult.

I think getting a private teaching practice is a better route. You could actually pursue both. Teachers in NYC are getting $ 75.00 an hour teaching guitar.
    Good luck.

4. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

i looked into this before i moved out here and it's very, very difficult to get broadway pit work. the sub lists are really long- pages and pages of names of guys that have been waiting for years. i think tim quick is a tgp member and does a fair amount of shows in nyc. you might want to contact him.

5. eschoendorff

eschoendorff Member

That's depressing ^^^! Playing in local pit orchestras (trombone) paid a lot of rent during my undergrad.

6. DøøG

DøøG Member

Another is Chris Delis (cochese) who subbed on Rent, Shrek, buncha others. Seems like a lot of work for little return, for subbing. Unless your reading is that exceptional, you can read and get that **** down 1st time. Mine surely isn't, lol, ooof-aaa.

7. jpennington

jpennington Member

Thanks all! I'll keep doing some digging and contact who I can. I've also found a few of the guys (not from TGP) who play in some prominent shows (Mama Mia!, Wicked, Rock of Ages etc...) and plan on getting in touch.
    Can't hurt right?

8. RSRD

RSRD Member

I know one but not sure if it's appropriate to share his name. I'll pm with the thread though.