Any of you an old soul?

LTE

Meaning the other day I'm watching Great Guitars of Jazz (Tal Farlow, Herb Ellis and Charlie Byrd). My wife asks if any are still alive. I tell her no, all have moved to play that gig in the sky. She asks some of my other favorites, I state naming Miles, Cannonball, Coltrane, Montgomery, etc. She asks if they were gone to, I told her just about every one of them.

She mentions that I am such an old soul.

Any of you guys here really just favor players that were gone when you were just learning to play?

Last edited:

alguit

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I get this.

For me, I was grabbed as a late teen by Miles Davis and Skip James, Duke Ellington and The Carter Family...I like new artists too, sometimes, but I still seem to gravitate back further down the roots of our musical tree.

jpervin

Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf got me started. Both are long dead, though Muddy was still alive when I started playing guitar in the late '70s.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
One said to me. Why do you keep buying Clapton albums they all have the same songs. Yeah but they Are different. No he says yeah I say you just are not really listening. I am 36 and I keep turning friends on to Django. Freddie fender con way twitty and every other old guy from all kinds of genres. Early big ears is a good thing

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
I listen to little music recorded after I was born (1984); it's not a conscious choice, just a matter of taste. If you want a detailed review of the solo albums of Graham Nash, I'm your man, but don't ask me who the members of Lady Gaga are.

phillygtr

I listen to little music recorded after I was born (1984); it's not a conscious choice, just a matter of taste. If you want a detailed review of the solo albums of Graham Nash, I'm your man, but don't ask me who the members of Lady Gaga are.
I see what you did there :aok

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
i dunno nuthin' about no old soulyisms,
but, apparently,
i am an old fart.

dt / spltrcl

RedTiger

No offense, but it sounds more like you know about music history and your wife doesn't.

Seeing as how I learned to play as a teenager in the 90s, yes, all my heroes are either dead guys or guys past their prime.

MartinPiana

Gold Supporting Member
OP reminded me of some who are still alive and cooking.

Sonny Rollins, Ornette Coleman, Bucky Pizzarelli, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock....

For that matter, Buddy Guy is 74....

LTE

No offense, but it sounds more like you know about music history and your wife doesn't.

Seeing as how I learned to play as a teenager in the 90s, yes, all my heroes are either dead guys or guys past their prime.
Part of that is true, but she didn't start listening to different things until I came along. She was all top 40. When I came along, she told me that jazz was boring (elevator music as she called it), country sucked, and classical was beyond dull.

Griz

I figure i must be an old soul-fart, because I so heavily dig Indian classical music and I'm 56.

Can a soul fart?

:dunno

If so, 'scuse me.

Trending Topics