1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Any of you guys use pyrotechnics back in the day? Recently?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by lespaulreedsmith, May 20, 2011.

1. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    Scorched a few ceiling tiles in various dives myself and thankfully never had a Great White incident.
    Did it fade out with the 80's or have you seen some recent bands using the stuff?

2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

We used 4 flash pots back in the '70s. We rehearsed with them using a small powder load that just made fire about 3 feet high. We put them along the front edge of the stage so you had to know when they were going to go off so you could step back a little.

At gigs explosive powder (black) was added to the flame powder (gray) with a larger measuring spoon. There was a concussion with 10 foot high flames.

We launched them one time per set. One time our light man thought it would be cool to add some Xmas colored glitter to the loads. It looked great but, the hot glitter came back down and glued itself to us and the people that were dancing. It wouldn't brush off at all. People were trying to pick it out of their hair and off of their clothes the rest of the night. Fortunately, no one got mad about it and sued us. lol

Haven't used pyro, or seen anyone local use it for a long time now. We used to buy powder canisters at a local chemicals store. Now-a-days buying powder will get you on a terrorist watch list.

3. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

In 9th / 10th grade I used to load and set off the flash pots for my guitar teacher's band when they played out. Great fun -- make boom. It was like actually being Beavis for 10 seconds.

[​IMG]

4. prsflame

prsflame Member

Yep, up until the early 90's. Pyro, and we always had a smoke machine going on stage as well. Nowadays, I don't think it would be possible to buy the chemicals we used to use without ending up on a Gov't watchlist.;) No "Great White" incidents, but the side of my Marshall amp did get a bit scorched once. Had to dump a drink on it to put out the fire.