Any of you guys using (or have used) a Weber ceramic Blue Dog with a "Marshally" amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SoCalSteve, Jan 22, 2008.

1. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Again, I'm interested in hearing about the ceramic version. Particularly under moderate gain (think 70's through 80's rock). Does it compliment these style of amps?

Is the low end tight, spongy, in-between?
    Are the mids pronounced or evenly balanced?
    How about the highs?

Please feel free to elaborate.............

2. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

I play using moderate gain all the time so here's my take. These are great speakers. I have a silver/blue ceramic combo in a Vox 2-12 and love 'em. 50 watt rated per speaker with light dope.

I use a Fender Pro. jr, Ac30cc, Marshall small top 50 and a Budda SD 30. Sometimes semi crunchy other times modern to classic rock.

They are really articulate, but these really stand out in the overdrive dept. They sound great clean but just killer overdriven. Worth every penny and definately can stand up to the hype.

lows: in between
    mids: thick ,warm, balanced with no hump, no scoop
    highs: rolled of a bit, darker, You still get good highs but without ice picks.

These are just super sweet sounding speakers. I own bunches of old 25-30 watters. These are every bit as good. These sound closest to my 25 watters with 014 cones. That is something to be said right there.

These are highly regarded for good reason. Maybe not as smooth as the alnico version but I like the bit more sharper attack with the ceramic speakers, I think they are better overall for more of a modern, classic rock sound.

FWIW From one Budda owner to another I do think a good broke in pair of Budda phats are a really really good sounding speaker too. I would give the weber a slight edge over them because the overdrive tones are more articulate.

plexi

3. klaetos

klaetos Member

I had a 20 watt Hughes and Kettner Aniv. Edition Tube 20. It was a 2 EL84 amp as well and I really liked the Weber Blue Dog (30 watt) in it. It was WAY better then the stock speaker.

4. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I can't tell if mine aren't broken in yet (ceramic 30 watt Silver and Blue (pre-Rola dope) but these speakers with my '73 Marshall Super Lead are dark with a big honky midrange. They are good at taming the harsh treble and seem to have more headroom than Greenbacks but I wish they were more open sounding. I have about 20 playing hours on them. Hope that helps.

5. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

great comments: I've used them in my clark hampton miniplexi 15, and it was probably my favorite spkr. They need time to break in, and seem to sound even better, a bit smoother, and a bit of a "larger" sound stage (less directional) if you know what I mean.

my take on these, is they give a little extra snarl and bite and are a bit less woody than typical marshall/greenie combo. I think also the high power versions have the advantage of being smoother (according to Ted Weber).

might be my alltime fav. sprk.....once they are broken in :you have to pound them for quite some time to get that sound. but its worth it !

even so, out of the box: very very good.!

6. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Thank guys. I think I'm gonna have to just get one to satify my curiosity. From the description at the Weber site, I guess a 50 watter would be right in between the edgier, lower powered ones and the mellower 100 watter.