Any of you guys work on garage door openers?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jrjones, Jul 13, 2019.

1. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

It seems like I’m fighting with ours every day lately. It’s not too old (6 years), or at least I don’t think so. Occasionally it will open from a press out in the street. The last few days, if it works, I’m right against the door before it picks it up. Other days I have to put in the code outside. It’s a chamberlain opener. Are there settings I need to look at? I just replaced the batteries a few weeks ago because of this.

I know, I know... #firstworldproblems

2. mango

mango Member

Check the electric eye units for spider webs, dust etc.
    Anything interfering with the beam messes mine up,and it.s 20 y/o.

3. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

I’ll see if I can find them tomorrow afternoon.

4. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

I note that you changed the battery a few weeks ago but what you describe is symptomatic of a dying battery.

I get exactly that issue that becomes apparent once my opener fails to operate from inside the car; then from outside the car standing in the driveway; then eventually standing inside the open garage after I’ve accessed it via a back door with a good ol’ key. The motor unit mounted on the roof that operates the door can readily be tested (and eliminated as the culprit) with the wall mounted opener, confirming it’s always the battery in my experience.

Once the roof motor unit blew a capacitor which prevented it from working. It was an easy $6 fix that saved me $500.

But, apart from a broken spring, that’s the only malfunction in 18 years of the door’s operation that wasn’t battery related.

It’s possible that the door requires a solid 12v (or whatever). Maybe the new batteries have depleted prematurely. Unlike guitar pedals which can tolerate a dying 9v battery, other stuff seems more vulnerable. For instance, my Snark tuner requires 3v and won’t operate once the battery drops to 2.7v.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    70 Mach 1 likes this.
  5. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

I have a Lift Master (Chamberlain) that is 7 years old. After 6 years my remote started working intermittently. I changed the disc battery in it (like I had done on previous occasions, like every year or two) and that seemed to help, for a short while. The remote worked less and less so I got out the second remote that came with the door. It was brand new and has been working great now for over a year.
    So, I guess the remotes can go bad after a while. :dunno

6. SteveO

SteveO Member

If there are LED bulbs installed in the opener, they can cause interference with the remote as they emit electrical noise in the same frequency range as most remotes. Don’t ask me how I know this.

bsacamano likes this.
  7. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

:dude

8. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

How do you know this?

70 Mach 1 likes this.
  9. SteveO

SteveO Member

Because I changed both bulbs in my opener after one burned out (knowing the other was the same age and close to going itself). All I had on hand were LED bulbs, and after installing them I had problems with the remote only working when I was fairly close to the unit. The remote worked fine when the car was in the garage and directly below the opener, but would work only once in a while once I pulled into the driveway. It also always worked when I was coming home and in the driveway, but that was because the lights weren’t on at that time.

It took a bit of poking around online to put two and two together, but once I figured it out and replaced the LEDs with incandescents the problem vanished.

bsacamano likes this.
  10. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

Right when you have an issue Look on the unit for a flashing light or sometimes on the mother board.

You might see an inspection hole so you don't have to take the cover off

If youre lucky it will flash a trouble code that you can look up.

11. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

This is a great thread! Anyone have any thought as to why my garage door opener works fine during the evening but is a nightmare when the suns out? I tried putting sun blockers on the sensors and it didn’t help.