Any of you have Toddlers that mess up your Pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GarMan, Jan 14, 2014.

1. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

Yep - got two of em, 2 and 4. The older one has settled down a bit and the younger one is doing the same thing his older brother used to do!

All good though, I want them to be comfortable around gear so I let them touch and play with all my stuff.

2. JonnyQ

JonnyQ Member

My six year old daughter asked if she could borrow my EQD Organizer to use as a refrigerator for her dolls. I said yes.

3. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Pretty soon they'll have a loyal following of hipsters...

4. Jonny D

Jonny D Member

Not a toddler. My profoundly creative 8 year old likes to pretend she is filling the pedals with gas. She absolutely loves to screw around with my pedals.

She has come up with some pretty good combos.

5. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

My 6 year old loves FUZZ!

6. Mothman

Mothman Member

This is what I love about kids... the ability to combine completely unrelated ideas into something new, without worrying about whether it "works."

My girls figured out how to work the most important pedal first... the volume pedal. The Stereo Deluxe Memory Man was next, because of the high goof factor when the knobs got turned.

7. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

My 6 year old wants to start a band called the Analog 14 (14 piece I guess).

He also wants to make his own FUZZ pedal (a Tonebender) "by hand" and the graphic on the front is gonna have a thumbs up! :aok

You can't make this stuff up.

8. rayza

rayza Member

My 5 yr old girl loves to play with pedals. She's had a few favourites until i picked up a used red witch Scarlett overdrive just for her to play with. Now nothing beats that one. Her name is Scarlett.

9. TimH

TimH Member

I have twin 19 month olds and a 5 year old. they don't mess up my pedalboard because I put it away...

10. blobe

blobe Member

I don't see what this trend is
    [​IMG]

Plug/unplug everything , usually i'm ok with it, unless i try to record and then it's "go to your mom, i beg you".

11. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

My kids love to play with my board, esprcially while I'm playing. I love it. Naturally they're drawn to the wah, but also have developed an affinity for any of the speed/rate controls, but really, all controls are game to them. Doesn't bother me a bit.
    Once I came into the living room, and my 800 combo was out (not plugged in) and the kid was watching cartoons while spinning the knobs and saying "Now they're all going this way, now they're all going that way...." back and forth. I watched him for a minute or so before I couldn't hold the laughter anymore. He was probably 4 at the time. He's 8, now, and I'm planning on getting him his own guitar and teaching him all my wrong ways of playing. :)
    His younger brother is more of a drummer. :(

12. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Not to play nazi-parent, but you may consider child-proofing the wall plug.
    Otherwise, this is one of the most adorable pictures I've seen in a long time, but probably because I also play guitar and, more importantly, that isn't my board. :)

13. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Mine is 4 and she won't go into my guitar room without me...she likes to turn all the knows and hide my slides...she really likes dropping my pics into the f holes on my 3 semi hollows...lol

Recently she demanded her Dora guitar and Disney electronic drums be placed in my room which I happily obliged...love my lil girl so much

14. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I started playing the drums once, and they rattled like hell. The younger one had found out how to put pencils into the shell vents.
    Had to pull the heads to get it all out.

15. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I keep it on lock down. At 9 months he developed a MAJOR interest in all things with strings, knobs, and/or lights.

16. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 Member

Yup. 4 daughters and the older 3 all have taken turns messing witht he knobs. I don't have a bunch of pedals so I know where they all get set. Not a bid deal. Sometimes there are fun results. My oldest switched on some fuzz and a delay with high repeats while I was playing once. I hit the muted strings a couple of times and she sat there listening to the cacaphony. Then she smiled and said "I made it sound like rocks falling down a hill!" She still occaissonaly asks if we can make the rocks fall down. I love it!

17. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

18. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Sure, I have 2 and 4 year old boys. They love the pedal board and all the gear. They're jacking with it all the time and I let them.

I know where the knobs and switches are supposed to be when they're done.

I did however put all the f-hole hollow body electrics, with angled head stocks under the bed and went back to playing the indestructible Telecaster.

19. GibsonMarshallguy41

GibsonMarshallguy41 Member

I practice at home, in our basement, which is the room in the house with the big flat screen hi-def TV. blu-ray player, video game units, etc...

my kids are constantly downstairs playing, and/or watching TV. sometimes I leave my pedalboard out, hooked up to my amp, already tuned on (with everything muted). my kids know never to touch my stuff, and they never have (I have an 11, and 7 year old sons). I made sure they learned that at a very early age, and they have never done this, even back when they were a few years younger. they would never even think of going near my gear. if they are curious about something, they will ask me while I'm playing, and I'm always happy to show them, and to even have them switch certain pedals on and off (carefully) while I'm playing. you have to teach kids things at a very young age if you want them to be conditioned to act a certain way.

20. loudif

loudif Member

My boys are 2 and 4. My guitar room is on the third floor and they only go in there with me. They mess with the pedal knobs sometimes, but I know where I like them so no biggie. My 2 year old insists on opening the altoids tin and grabbing me a pick or two. Even if I already have one.
    In the music room, I leave some of toys to keep them busy when we are up there. We start off playing music together (shakers, hand drums, xylophone) and when they grow tired of it, they'll play with the toys for a while.

I love it, and it's a real treat for them to go up there.