Any one got SKB Pedalboards?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedayrockstar, Jul 8, 2008.

1. somedayrockstar

somedayrockstar Member

So I'm curious to see if anyone else uses them and how do they look? Mine always seems messy to me. I'm currently redoing it but whe it is finished I'll post some pictures. So let's see what you got...

2. somedayrockstar

somedayrockstar Member

So I'm the only one with a SKB board. That's cool. Could someone then please try to explain the effects loop part of it then. It has 4 of them but I don't understand how they work or how I should wire my pedals to use them. Please someone help.. I'm feeling all alone.

3. iggs

iggs Member

[​IMG]

That's my SKB-PS45 as of today ... power cable's covering up the RC and ISP Decimator.

Still waiting on Clinch FX EP-Pre to replace the RC and Axess BS-2 Buffer to go after the dirt pedals.

I never used the loops for additional effects but I do plug the return signal from the pedals into the return jack since that goes directly to the amp output instead of it going through send/return jacks if I plug back into the "From Pedals" input.

The power supply is actually Furman and is dead quiet with plenty of juice.

I've built a tier for the second row out of some cheep hardwood boards from Home Depot then spray-painted it black and dressed with 1 inch self-adhesive velcro.

All cabling is George L's and it works flawlessly. Cables are twist-tied to make it neat and tidy ... yes, I have severe OCD, I know.

4. somedayrockstar

somedayrockstar Member

Wow. Looks really good. I guess mine isn't really that messy. I just see all the cables being ran and that bothers me. My effects loop is a little different I think. It's just got 4 loops with in's and out's. So how would I make that work or should I not even mess with them?

5. iggs

iggs Member

The loops are only necessary or needed if you want to insert for example, a rack fx unit somewhere in between your pedals.

So ... if you had a rack delay and wanted it after your dirt pedals but before your end-of-chain booster. You would connect the output of your dirt pedals to the "From Pedals" input then run a cable from Send to the rack unit, back from the rack unit into Return and then a cable to the amp.

You can also have a stereo setup with two amps if you ran a mono signal to the rack unit but return a stereo signal (Left+Right) to the board and then "Left" side goes to one amp and "Right" side goes to the other (might have some ground loop issues there but that's a whole another discussion).

Same goes if you have a stereo pedal on the board ... you can use the patch bay to route the signal to two amps ... or have two completely different Left & Right signal paths.

6. iggs

iggs Member

P.S. I've also added some thick foam to the underside of the cover to protect the pedals a bit better since the "hard" SKB plastic is not that hard.

7. Charles Obscure

Charles Obscure Member

I have an older PS-25. I don't use the inputs, outputs or fx loops on it any more though. I just use it for the platform and power taps. I was pretty close to buying the PS-45, but couldn't justify the cost of it for how often I use pedals. Here's an older picture, before I added BYOC tremolo and phaser.
    [​IMG]

8. wooldl

wooldl Member

I have a PS-45 that is loaded. I don't have pics. At this time I use just about all the routing jacks available. I like the fact that all of my pedals are connected and powered at all times and that I just disconnect a few cables, replace the lid and go.

I have my modulation pedals (flange, chorus, phase and a Boss delay) in a Loooper bypass loop on the board, I have an MXR Carbon Copy patched thru my amps effect loop (it just sounds better that way to me).

So far I love the boards simplicity.

Dale

9. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have an skb ps-45...and it does look messy...

I also have a couple pedaltrains and MUCH prefer them to the skb...although I wish they came with an isolated power supply...

If pedaltrains came with a patch bay and power supplyn similar to the skb/furmans, yet retained that design with the gaps to hide the cabling and wiring, they would WIPE out their competition...

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I have the Furman that is very similar. I use the patch bay to split the signal to two amps and also with a PedalSnake to run 4 cable method.

Can't get the pic to work, but it looks very neat and works great.

I use little strips of Velcro to hold the patch cables down and it really keeps it looking more pro and less likely to get a cable kicked loose accidentally.

Rock on

11. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I agree and prefer the PedalTrain, but I like the fact they allow you to choose how you want to power your pedals and especially that your power supply can be set up under the pedal platform.