Any one have the Budda volume mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by uke, Jun 24, 2008.

1. uke

uke Member

I emailed Jeff a while ago, haven't heard back so in the mean time wondering if anyone has a schematic or pictures of the volume mod for these amps? Mines a Budda SD30 Series 1 PTP wired.

2. mitch236

mitch236 Member

What is the volume mod?

3. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

It's a very easy mod to make the volume of the drive channel louder in comparison to the clean channel. I did it to my PTP SD18 and it worked perfectly. No soldering even required.

All that's needed is a screwdriver to remove the chassis and needle nose pliars to twist the resistors around the terminal posts. I will look through my archives and see if I can find the simple document showing how to do it.

:JAM

4. uke

uke Member

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Hi...Can this mod be done to a recent SD-18 series 2?

6. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

I had a similar mod done to an SD-80 ... ironically, to make for more clean headroom where I had the master set for the drive channel to sound good. It worked well, don't know what he did, but it was a new model and Jeff worked on it ... so your SD-18 is definitely a candidate.

7. Ricker

Ricker Member

I've had the simple vol mod done to both my sd18 and sd80.......

But
    a better mod to get is the DRIVE CHANNEL VOLUME MOD mod which is now standard fare on both my buddas.
    This is a great mod for increasing the volume on the drive channel by way of a volume pot installed on the back of the amp.....
    It really opens up the channel switching options of the amp......and it also changes the way the drive channel sounds slightly ....makes the drive channel more open sounding or mid focused depending where you set.
    This coupled with the mid pull function gives you plenty of new drive channel voicing....great mod

You can play your guitar while you fiddle with the new volume pot at the back and balance the channels real good as to where you set the clean channel.

This should really come standard on a stock budda because it addresses all the issues people have with balancing the channels.

With just the static vol mod all you are doing is increasing the drive channel volume by a certain amount and that is hard wired and that is the way it stays.......so when you go from say a Strat with singles to a les paul.........everything is out again.

With this mod it's just a hand round the back and tweak the drive channel volume.

While this mod does not offer complete cotrol over the drive channel volume ...........it gives enough sweep and volume change to please even the most discerning Buddist

Rick

8. Rod

That's great...thankx Rick!! Do you send the amp to Budda to get this done/?

9. Ricker

Ricker Member

Nah ...I'm in South Africa so cannot send stuff to Budda.
    Jeff mailed me schematics and then I left the rest up to my amp techie to do.

Rick

10. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Thanks Rick, the mod sounds like a good one to get. I think I'm going to get this done to my SD18. I don't mind the channel disparity (if there is one) but I would like to open up the drive just a tad, so sounds right up my alley.

Is the mod easy enough for any good tech to do? Do you still have the schematic by chance?

Thanks!

11. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Budda kicks ass, just the fact they emailed you the schematic Ricker is great.

I have an 18 watt and 30 watt SDII 1x12 - and for what i do the volume of the two channles is perfect on the stock amps. I generally keep my rythmn volume on 9 o clock, the master on 10 oclock and my drive about 11 o clock to Noon.

With these settings I get a bit more volume on the lead channel when i kick it in and the clean rythmn sound has plenty of headroom, anything higher on the knobs and I'm too loud ( Budda's are very loud amps - the combo's anyway )....

12. Ricker

Ricker Member

I'll search for it bro......I did it a couple years ago.
    Maybe schematic was too strong a word.......he emailed me the directions for adding the mod.

I'll tell you more about this mod and why it is so good.

On a stock budda if you pull the mid function it seems too drastic a voicing change.....It would be nice to get something between the non pull and the mid pull setting.
    Well as you guys may or may not know ....the mid pull doesn't really do that much when the vol mod is on max.
    What you can do is leave the budda mid knob in and just raise the new drive channel volume pot....this also adds a bit more openess to the drive channel.

Another thing you can do is pull the mid knob........with this pulled especially on the sd80 the lows and the highs are boosted.....too much in fact for me and many others...........but I put my hand round the back and slowly turn up the drive channel while the mid is out and you can hear the mids coming back in as you raise the volume.

So with this mod you can also get any voicing that sits between the mid in and the mid pull out setting......very cool.

Rich

13. Rod

Wow, that's great Rich....Thankx for the info....The drastic mid change from the pull pot was always an issue with my SD-18....Sort of one extreme or the other...Sounds like the Drive channel pot addresses all this...very cool...

14. uke

uke Member

Does anyone have the directions for doing this mod?

15. Ricker

Ricker Member

Checkout my user profile for my email address and mail me.
    I will send it to you.

Rick