Any one have the Epiphone 57 Junior reissue with set neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 59Vampire, Aug 22, 2008.

1. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

im looking ofr opinions and prices that were paid. I found one in a store, been jonesing for a historic version but this thing is sooooo cheap. if only it did not have a poly fisnsh! but it does have a set neck mahog body. anyone? i need a full and intensive review!

2. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

They're OK. I tried a few out. One had loose pots that rattled around, and that seems to be a common problem with Epiphones. I don't think the Epi Juniors will ever be better than a Gibson, but I can tell you that my Dillion 58 TV Junior is almost as good as my Gibson Billie Joe Junior. Once I change the pickup, that Dillion will be every bit as good, and it cost me $399.

You see the Epi set neck Juniors on Ebay all the time. There's one on there now that's been tweaked by an upstate NY luthier and he wants $599 minimum bid for it, which I think is too much, even with the improvements.

It's STILL an Epiphone made in China, genius.

3. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I've jammed around on them a few times, and I'll say that they aren't a replacement of the Gibson Historic reissue. They're just what they are, a cheaper alternative. I played one recently with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickup that was pretty cool. However, the big difference is playability. I just think the Gibson Historics really nail it. The Epi just doesn't quite have it. That said, I'd feel comfortable gigging with the Epi. And really, the playability thing could go both ways. Someone else may prefer the Epi. Try one out if you can.

4. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

i guess i will have to try one out. ive never had a p90 axe( this actually hsa a p100 that would go fast!) how does the poly finish affect things? choke it?

5. DrewB

DrewB Member

I bought one for $150 last summer. It had a headstock crack that was glued up really well and no other marks on it. I've done a little work on mine. The bridge studs were leaning toward the nut, so I pulled them and firmed up the wood with super glue, replaced the pickup with a Lollar, deepened the cavity rout so the pots would stick out a little farther, and replaced the pots, cap and jack. Is it on par with my Historic-series Les Paul? No, but it's pretty cool all the same and I like it a lot. For that kind of money, it was a no-brainer.