1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any one heard the Traynor Blue 50 watter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kinkirsi, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Been gassin' for one of these for a while,seems like a nice smaller gig amp.I was wondering if anyone here has played one and could elaborate further about how they sound.Seems like a steal for the$. Some recent clips sparked my interest, I thought the overdriven sounds were as good as some boutique amps I have owned but I cant comment on how the cleans are.Waddya' Think?

2. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

3. riffy

riffy Member

I copied and pasted this from a quick review I posted on the HCAF earlier this week. Hope it helps!

" Demo'ed a couple of combo amps today Short review inside!
    Just got in the door and wanted to post while the sounds and impressions were fresh in my mind.
    Went to a local music shop. They carry Fender, Gibson and Prs guitars as well as Dean, Jackson and BC Rich.

I saw a Randall RG50TC combo on the floor. Picked up a 60 Relic Custom Shop Strat in feista red and plugged in. Man,
    The combo sounded really really good. The distortions were very meaty and had a lot of good tube grind. I think it was more than a little mid heavy though due to it being a single 12 combo even if it did have a Celestion speaker in it. I don't remember looking to see which one.
    The cleans were very very passable and with a bit of outboard delay or chorus would be good enough for just about any rocker. I don't think it would do for death metal though. Just good ole rock n roll or 80's style metal. The distortion to me seems to have a bit more highend bite than I personally like to have but many here may find that a plus. I played it pretty loud down to whisper bedroom volumes and everything in between. Overall, I would say this is a great amp for the $449 bones that they are asking for it.

The real surprise for me though was the Traynor YCV50 Blue amp. That was not the shops but was a guys that was having it retubed as I was there. He had just brought it in and was setting it up to play for the tech for him to hear. He seemed to think that the stock tubes were not up to par and wanted to put winged SED tubes in it. It was also the 112 combo. I got to play it for about half and hour thru its own speaker and a Mode 4 4x12. The amplifier simply SMOKES. I mean it really smokes. Kick on the onboard boost in the lead channel and thick and creamy lead sounds just pour out of that amp. Rhythm sounds were tight and defined with a GREAT Marshall ROAR. IT is a killer Marshall style amp. It out Marshalls most Marshalls I have heard!

When I plugged it into the Mode 4 4x12 it took on a more modern personality due to the larger cab enclosure and the 4x 12 speaks. It had an even tighter low end which was more than abundant and the mids were really really grinding and present. The amp is a bit darker than most Marshalls but I like that personally.

Its clean channel shined just as much as the lead channel did. Sparkling, smooth clean and you could get it to breakup really nicely for SRV style chord and lead work. I wish I had tried a boost pedal in both channels to see what it would have offered the amp.

Short quick review, but I was really blown away by the Traynor amp guys.
    SO worth the money period!"

Gary

4. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Thank you,twas what I thought based on the clips I had heard.I am getting one now,thanks:)

5. riffy

riffy Member

\
    I gotta be honest here... I think I am getting one too as a back up amp for my SLO. I loved that amp! BTW, it sounds even BETTER thru a 4x12 cab!

Gary

6. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

That clip that RandyVanSykes posted on H.C. was one of the best clips I ever heard.Imagine someone wiring a point to point head of that circuit:)

7. riffy

riffy Member

Randy was were I got my first listen to that amp too! It totally SMOKED! He channeled Jeff Beck and that amp more than did it justice! I love that sound. I thought it played my style of music great too!

They could make a fortune off of a PTP version head of that amp!

Gary

8. riffy

riffy Member

Here is a clip that Randy Van Sykes from Harmony Central posted of this amp! I think it kills!

Traynor YCV50 Blue

Gary

9. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Word.Be nice to hear some clean clips to seal the deal. Maybe Traynor would build a one off ptp head for the right$.One of my other amps is a Cornford Hellcat which might be on e-bay soon if I can get a Head. I like the cornford but it has a high treble freqency that I didnt hear in the traynor clips.The Cornford is 3000 more than the traynor.....:(

10. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I got one of the very first Blues off the line, and it's been my Number One since. I also have the matching V30 extension cab. I bought it for the killer overdrive sound, but found an unexpected bonus in the cleans. Not blackface clean, but really useable. The gain channel sounds like a great modern Marshall, but the whole world falls in on you when you kick the boost on. Holy harmonic spread Batman! I swapped the V30 in the sealed ext. cab for an Eminence Governor (the cab I mic), and the combination of both cabs is really fat, and is loud enough to do serious damage on an outdoor stage. I originally bought it for my LP R9 (since departed), but found it really likes singlecoils, particularily the Wagner SRs in my Musicman Silhouette Special. The Tone now is totally Jimi/Jerry/Stevie Ray-approved. The price is right, the weight is right (45 lbs), Accutronics long-spring reverb, bulletproof construction, two-year no-fault warranty, and did I mention TONE? I've also owned the YCV-40 and YCV-20, two other great amps for what they do, but the Blue is a big step up! I know this will start some of you right off, but I sold my MESA Mark IV to buy it (great amp, too freakin' heavy) and have never looked back. One of my friends/bandmates has a Fuchs ODS 30/THD 2X12, and he wants one as his grab 'n' go.
    Yeah, I like it!-Eric

11. Blueser

Blueser Member

The clips sounded like the lead tones were recorded from another room, so its a bit hard to hear them, but from what I could hear, the amp sounded buzzy.

Maybe he was playing at extremely low volumes, getting just preamp gain, but I really didn't like the clip too much. I wish Traynor would post some clips as well. The amp does look interesting. Anyone know what the internal construction is like (board mounted jacks, switches, tubes sockets, or chassis mounted)?

12. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I'd like to post a contrary oppinion of the YCV50. I owned one for about one month. I will agree it's a versitle amp and the drive channel is very Marshally. The clean is decent, maybe useable, but nowhere near the blackface clean as some reviewers had commented. The clean and reverb was a dissapointment to me. The amp tends to be on the dark side. It did open up with my 2x12 cabinet and really growled. BUT, my biggest disapointment was with the build quality and boxy sound of this small 1x12. I've had several 1x12's and this was by far the most boxy sounding.

As a reference my YCV40WR went back to the Mfg. 2 times. Maybe I'm sour on Traynor, but I really wanted to like this amp. It's difficult after comming of a Carr Rambler.

13. riffy

riffy Member

I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from totally. I don't find 1x12 cabs to my liking usually either, hence my comments about an extension 4x12.

I do disagree about the cleans though. That is my subjective opinion only though. YMMV according to your tastes and wants.
    The cleans really did sound good to me though.

I tend to live in the dirty channels of amps. I don't always use the full extent of said channels but at times I do. I like all shades of dirt and this amp accomplished everything I wished to hear.

It would truly be a boring world if we all agreed and used the same amps.

Gary

14. riffy

riffy Member

I didn't take the time to look inside of the amp when I was playing it to look at the construction to be totally honest.
    In playing the clip here on my home stereo and in my cars and on my computer speakers, I don't find the clip to be distant at all. I find them to be very present and easily heard.

If I recall correctly Randy did record them at a VERY low volume. Like at TV volumes if I am not mistaken. There is a little buzz yes, but I can't say I don't hear that in most amps not at gig volume.
    I hear it on the clips and the Komet site as well as a harsher highend that doesn't particularly appeal to me. Now that is my personal opinion only from listening to the clips. I have to also state that I have never had the pleasure of playing a Komet in person and my opinion might change drastically if I were to do so.

The comments I have made are my personal opinion only and I stand by them after playing the Blue at all volume levels.

Gary

15. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Its all good in the hood.I was just struck by the bang for the buck,the traynor is a great deal for the $.The 112 ext. cab would resolve the "boxy issues".And yes,those clips were recorded at living room voulume,I am sure when the master is at noon ,any buzz issues would be resolved.Cant comment on the cleans though,clean clips anyone?

16. RockNote

RockNote Member

This is a wonderful clip containing some delightful playing. As I am considering buying a Traynor YCV40-WR, I'd like to discuss the tone. While it is not unpleasant, it is not great either. It seems to me to be somehow dry, or "fatigued". But this is the YCV50 - is the same the case with the YCV40-WR? Does anyone have a clip of the YCV40-WR? Thanks.

17. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

I have the ycv40wr:

Here's what my experience has been, when I first got it (honeymoon) I really dug the cleans as they do posses "tubey" goodness!
    I was never turned on about the lead channels when trying to get a good sustain at mild gain , and found that it did do a good "classic rock" type of gain. I decided that basically being a 2 (not including PI) tubepre-amp type design, I was'nt going to get a more modern , mesa or soladano type of distortion w/o a pedal.

After awhile I decided to see If could improve by trying some tubes and speakers. I put a NOS 5751 in V2 and some ruby 6l6sbtr power tubes, and tried a swampthang as that was what emi reccomended for american voiced cleans.

I also tried some jj and groove tubes in v1.

What I found was ...... after messing and dialing w/ this configuration I have found the swampthing to be really a bit to much on the bass; this is in an open back combo !!!! I invariably turn the bass down and can't really use my bass control enough to get the lower mids back.

I'm also finding that the different tubes , while adding a little more "pizzaz" and tube goodness(sparkle) also comes with some sizzle!

So after getting frustrated , I put it all back to stock.............guess what , sounds better that way !!!!(****):(

Here's my conclusion , and I will welcome any opinions about my conclusions!

It is what it is; It's a good amp not great. It has allot of solid state circuits in it (reverb ect.) and beats the hell out of allot of ss amps... however..

I think It's voiced with a bit more treble to make up for the dull but sturdy sovtexs stock tubes,( 5751 should have mellowed out , not made more sizzle , right?) I think that the V30 celestion , for all the detractors, adds allot of warmth to a combo!

It's a good amp , but now unfortunatley as I get into more advanced stages of the illness known as tone hound/gasser I want even more and will probably be moving on.

It's probably a case of cost vs getting to be more of a corksniffer!!(plastic cork?)

:p :D