1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any one heard the valvetech 22 watter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kinkirsi, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I like 6v6 flavors from time to time,was wondering how they sound and if any clips were available.Thanks.

2. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I played Rob's personal VAC22. I was impressed with the big lows from the 2x10 combo. Lots of tones can be dialed. It takes a few min to learn what does what, and so on. Neat amp for the $.

3. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

one of the biggest bangs for the buck going today IMHO. This amp sounds like a million bucks through the right speakers and set up right. I hated the 2X10 cab for my tastes but through a good 2X12 it sounds killer and through a good 4x12 it will blow you away.

4. baald

baald Member

ja, ja. i hear the VAC every time i plug in. :)
    i'm in the middle of a move. if i find time and haven't packed my mics i'll see if i can record a clip tomorrow.

baald

5. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    Go to the member soundclips page and go to the "New Valvetech" topic.
    This shows just one of the many tones these amps can produce.
    It also is a killer classic rock and death metal amp, and you dont have to buy any pedals to make it so.
    Ill be at the Tampa tonfest this week,so if you are in the area, check one out yourself.
    Rob

6. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Sweet.I normally play a hollowbody through a modified 65 blackface deluxe,I would like to check out a higher gain 6v6 amp.How does the clean head room compare to a deluxe?Mine starts to break up a little sooner than I would like,which is acommon gripe with deluxes.Clips if you got em'.Thanks.

7. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

This assessment is right on the money. I have one of the first heads Rob ever built, SN 007 born in Feb. 2000. Original version with none of the upgrades as this amp sounds so damn good I can't bear to change it. I usually run it through a Bogner 2x12 with G12H30s and it's amazing. Through my 4x12 it's a raging beast.

Here's a clip of it in action during a recent free-form jam. Not a whole lot of chording but plenty of high-gain soloing. It's a big file; 10 MG, 7-minute jam. The lunacy kicks in around 1:45 LOL!

http://musecafeonline.com/mcchris/05150507.MP3

8. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Nice clip,nice to hear some good improv work done.I would have liked to have heard some high gain sounds plugged straight into the amp with no effects in the signal chain.I play in a jam band as well.Nice stuff:dude

9. MuseCafeChris

We get together every week and record the jams. Maybe next time I'll pop a mic in front of my cab and get some straight amp clips before we get started.

10. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Sweet.Do the cleans compare to a good deluxe? I am going to get either the Valvetech or the new Traynor blue 50 watter.Just doing a bit of research on both.Thanks.

11. MuseCafeChris

I've never compared the two but when I ordered the amp I asked Rob for a Fender-y clean tone in addition to the killer overdrive. You can really clean the amp up considerably by plugging into channel 1 and flipping a mini-toggle which cuts way back on the gain. You can't do this on the fly, though, so I always plug into channel two and get clean-ish tones by disengaging the boost with the footswitch and rolling back the volume knob on the guitar.

12. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i have a 2xel34 custom version of the hayseed and can speak very highly of rob's build quailty. my custom order was perfectly executed and the amp turned out better than i ever could have expected. there are pics floating around on one of these valvetech threads.

13. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Rob makes some great amps.

Having owned my VAC 22 watt 2x10 combo for about 6 weeks, I have had a chance to give it a good workout. This is the latest version that Rob built to my order. I find that the Weber 10" speakers work well. It is an incredibly versatile amp. The OD tones and hi gain sizzle are really good, while the cleans through channel 1 are sparkly and clear.

Once you get your idea about the settings that work for you and your tonal range they are easy to dial in.