• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any Opeth fans here?

3leggeddog

I know that a lot of their music is considered "death metal" and would make a lot of TGP'ers cringe, but there is a large part of their work that isn't death metal at all...rather it is extremely melodic, well composed, and 'relaxing' (if you will) to listen to. And yes, even their extremely heavy peices are very well done and have turned many a 'usually-non-metal fan' into believers. But I rarely see them mentioned here... Personally, I think they are one of the finest progressive bands today. Anyone agree? (or disagree)

Ultron

I know that a lot of their music is considered "death metal" and would make a lot of TGP'ers cringe, but there is a large part of their work that isn't death metal at all...rather it is extremely melodic, well composed, and 'relaxing' (if you will) to listen to. And yes, even their extremely heavy peices are very well done and have turned many a 'usually-non-metal fan' into believers. But I rarely see them mentioned here... Personally, I think they are one of the finest progressive bands today. Anyone agree? (or disagree)

Tremendous band, one of my favorites. I've seen them many times live.

It's hard to classify a band like Opeth, and hard to find a similar band with their musical diversity.

All I can say is if you like unique, smart music, you owe yourself to pick up "Ghost Reveries" or "Blackwater Park". Unbelievable epic songs, haunting melodies (and mids lol), and top tier drumming (Martin Lopez = ridiculous). There are some cookie monster vocals, but Mikael does them better than anyone, and it just works with their music. His clean voice is quite nice too.

funkycam

agree.
if anyone is thinking of checking them out, I would reccomend the song Bleak off Blackwater Park as a good starting point.
I have played that song to 5 or 6 people (including my wife) who were amazed @ the depth & flow of it.

Ultron

agree.
if anyone is thinking of checking them out, I would reccomend the song Bleak off Blackwater Park as a good starting point.
I have played that song to 5 or 6 people (including my wife) who were amazed @ the depth & flow of it.

great track, one of my faves. :bow

Release

Yea, "Bleak" is a great one to start with. I'd also say "Face of Melinda" off the "Still Life" album. In fact, that whole album is the one I would recommend to people along with Blackwater Park. If they like either of those album, they can pretty much go with any other album and be impressed. Amazing band.

AnthonyL

Gold Supporting Member
One of my favs for sure. Mikael is one talented dude...

So, whatever happend to Martin Lopez? Did he leave due to health issues? Is he playing with anyone else these days?

Makemusic85

I also have to agree. Great musicianship, and really well thought out compositions. I love bands like this that transcend the need to slap a genre to it.

Ultron

One of my favs for sure. Mikael is one talented dude...

So, whatever happend to Martin Lopez? Did he leave due to health issues? Is he playing with anyone else these days?

Some blood disease....may or may not be related to drug issues. Last I heard he was in some new band. Axelrot is very good, but doesn't have that same groove that Martin did.

Sid

Actually i beliebe Martin Lopez left because of anxiety issues....very sad...the best drummer for opeth

Opeth is my favourite band....really has every single aspect of music i like....instrument virtuosity, melody, harmony, aggression, minimalist,groove..ofcourse not all together...but each song is a journey...i just received the Opeth live at RAH DVD...gonna pop that in now......

Definitely one of my favorite bands.

Sadly, I was never able to see them with Lopez. I think the anxiety issues were brought on from cocaine use from what I hear. Its a shame though, the drumming on Ghost Reveries is probably his best work ever.

Axenrot is a tremendous drummer though, and can really hold it together live.

Axesson was a good pick to replace Lindgren too IMO.

Hal71

I love Opeth. Just wish they'd release a new studio album. It's been a while since the last one. My favorites are Still Life, Deliverance and Ghost Revelries. Prog-metal masterpieces.

I think Lopez really left because he had some health condition that had chronic-fatigue like symptoms.

3leggeddog

I have heard that Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson (from Porcupine Tree) are working on some new material together. I know they've worked together in the past, but never in a musical collaboration context. That, I believe, will be some great stuff.

Slayblaze

I love Opeth also, although I'm not as big a fan of their Death Metal style (even though it is fantastic too) and prefer their softer more melodic works such as the entire Damnation album. Watershed was pretty decent too but I do wish they would put out something new... hopefully in 2011

sgmarshall

I picked up Ghost Reveries about a year ago, as my introduction to them, I've almost worn it out. Got to get the rest of their stuff.

Fuzz Of Doom

This band can do no wrong. I tend to call Fall in PA Opeth season because it's so fitting for the kind of weather we have and it's usually what I tend to listen to.

Sid

I think the next album is gonna be something phenomenal, watershed was the first album with axe and the new guitarist...and although 90% of the album was killer, there was a bit of spark missing...(i still loved it though but Ghost Reveries is difficult to follow)....

I've heard about 2 other projects Mikael is gonna do, one with Steven Wilson(hope its something like Damnation which Steven worked on)...and the other is singer songwriter stuff(which is also probably gonna be like damnation)

I just wish there was ONE other band like Opeth, but nothing even close....

for people who realy enjoy the heavier side of Opeth, Bloodbath is a killer death metal project that Mikael is involved in:D

chronowarp

Huge fan. I really love their approach, and how they can give you pretty much everything in one song. "Ghost of Perdition" is probably my favorite.

Top Bottom