Any opinions of the Line6 M20D

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by geoangus, Apr 4, 2015.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

I was having a conversation earlier today about the Line 6 M20D system. Lots of cool features on board. But when I tried to do a search here, very little discussion. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, just curious that there is no buzz at all.

I believe this was announced at NAMM '12, so it's not like it is a new product. But since the acquisition of Line 6 by Yamaha, it seems as if nothing new is coming out from Line 6. Sound reinforcement wasn't Line 6's bag, and with this as their first entry, I'm not sure it sold. As our bassist is considering this as a PA option, I'd be concerned about future support.

FWIW - four piece rock cover band, 2 guitars, bass, drums and 3 vocal mics. Have thought of adding keys, but that's up to the other guitar player.

2. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I have a bud who has one. He used it when he ran sound for us Friday night. He knows a lot more about sound than I do, and he absolutely loves it!

It does have a lot of really cool features. It seems pretty bullet proof and easy to use.

I contemplated one recently... But, I'll admit, the interface kinda made me think twice. It does look easy... But, a little, I dunno, kindergarten-ish with the pictures and stuff. But, that's my personal hang up. It works for my buddy, Paul. I know our sound was fantastic, and I'm looking forward to taking the raw tracks and mixing it down!

But, I'm afraid that is as close as I come...

3. SealNYC

SealNYC Member

Fantastic and great sounding mixer. It's also a multi track recorder. Loaded with tons of DSP options and built like a tank. The iPad control is great and I have a full StageSource rig with it, setup is easier and cleaner than anything else available. My only initial perceived shortcoming was the channel count, thought I'd need more, but after using it for 2years, I haven't had any issues. I love the mighty M20d. The rig sounds beautiful.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

Interesting concept, but I think they dumbed it down too much.

5. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

I strongly considered buying one. The features are great compared to many of the other small digital mixers. The simplicity is apparently great for bands who want to mix themselves too.

What turned me off:

- Only 12 XLR inputs
    - Only 4 Aux outs
    - The high price
    - Comments from the Line 6 Forum from many of the owners and users of the M20d.
    - I wanted to learn more about live sound and felt that a more traditional mixer would help me.

I eventually bought a Touchmix 16. Similar and better feature set. Better price.

6. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

I played around with the mixer a bit. It was kind of kitschy. Like "Fischer Price My First Digital Mixer." The screen wasn't very sensitive, and I didn't see any way to change that. Also, just under fluorescent lighting, there was a ton of glare on the screen. I don't think it would be usable outside in daylight. I would have liked to try it with the companion speakers, just to see how it worked in conjunction with them. I'll stick with my big boy consoles, though.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

they still make those things?

mackie 1608s, presonus SLs and now QSC touchmixes are everywhere (and behringer X-racks soon will be) but i've never even seen one of the line 6 boards.

$1500 for 12 XLRs and 4 monitor mixes is kind of a "swing and a miss" these days.

8. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

It is very powerful, and has a lot of features that the the touchmix, Presonus and Behringer don't have. Like Dynamic Eq, Gain following, some really cool things, and there is a traditional mixer view available on the ipad app for it.
    But it is different from the people interface thing. built like a tank. and good sounding.
    Plus it will even record to an internal drive for virtual sound check kind of stuff. I like it.
    But like I said it is different. Their powered speakers are VERY good, and well designed.