Any opinions on 5 way "Super Switch"?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by carltonh, Jan 25, 2005.

1. carltonh

carltonh Member

See here: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Switches/Super_Switch.html

Any worthwhile uses for such a switch? I'm trying to decide what changes I should do to my Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro when I put a SD Custom Custom in the bridge and a Bill Lawrence L465 in the neck. I don't know if I'll reuse, replace, or not use a middle single coil.

Maybe I should just reuse the current 5 way switch and figure out how to wire it to get some split or parallel coil use out of the humbuckers? Or maybe a PRS type switching system? Basically I want the greatest versatility of tones wired to a 5 way switch. The current EMG Select humbuckers aren't bad, but they don't have wires to split them.

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

This is a 4P5T switch -- very versatile, and essential if you want to do certain types of things. What kind of switch is in there, now?

3. carltonh

carltonh Member

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I designed the switching scheme for a couple of my friend Harry Jacobson's guitars using that type of switch and a few additional push-pulls and stuff. Check out the Swamp Ash Strat and Godin Flat five here: http://www.harryj.net/gear_page.html . The Godin Artisan TC further down also uses it (I think DiMarzio designed that one for him). There are clips to give you an idea of what the different combinations sound like.

Even without any additional push-pulls and switches, there's quite a lot of combinations you can do that wouldn't be possible with a regular switch. If you have an idea of the combinations you want, I would be happy to try and come up with a wiring diagram for you.

5. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

The picture you show has the same functionality as a standard Strat switch -- DPTT (double pole, triple throw), with five positions. This particular switch is not very flexible, in that positions 2 and 4 are not discrete postions. Each of those positions is merely the union of two other positions.

The StewMac switch you referred to describes the dimensions of the cavity it requires. You ought to be able to determine if the cavity is large enough.

6. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

Sorry to hijack but I have one of the stewmac switchs. And was going to ask about wiring Have 2 Anderson pickups and want to wire it in postions
    1. fullneck hum
    2. outer coils in series
    3. both hum's
    4. both inner coils
    5. full bridge.

Any suggestions.

7. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Do you have the color codes for the Anderson pickup leads?

8. Papajuice

This on the instructions it is a in the above link under instruction on page 2.

adjustable pole
    start 'A' blk
    Finish 'B' white MP south

Slug pole
    Start "c" green
    Finish "D" Red +
    MP North

Winding direction
    B-W coil is CCW
    G-R coil is CW

9. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I'll get back to you, later. I'm knee deep in alligators, right now.

10. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Brian, I've just e-mailed you a quick draft of a wiring diagram that will give you the combinations you want. Be aware that for positions 2 and 4 to be hum-cancelling, you should either flip the magnet in one of the pickups, or turn one of them around. In the diagram I've sent you I've assumed you would turn the neck pickup around, i.e. the slug poles would be closest to the neck. Let me know if you prefer a different option and I'll re-do it.

11. Papajuice

Thanks for the help just finished wiring and sounds great just what I wanted.:dude