Any opinions on BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Spalted Maple?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rycher, Jun 4, 2008.

1. rycher

rycher Member

Hey guys, anyone tried one of these? What did ya think? I need another guitar like ahole in the head but this is really tempting me. I played one of the Special X Mockingbired's and thought it was nice playing for the money but the music store I was in didn't have any of the Exotic series. After seeing some on e-bay, I really like the appearence of the Exotic series and the control layout better than the Special X series but I'd like to get some opinions before pulling the trigger. Thanks

2. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

I personally wouldn't want anything but one of their USA models. The imports are no better/worse than any other companies korean made guitars

3. echale3

echale3 Member

I had a red NJ Classic, it's essentially the same guitar as the one you are jonesing for.

The one I got should have been marked a second--the BC Rich QC Dept was sleeping on the job when that one made it out, but I got a killer price on it, so I was fine with it. Mine had some wood splinters buried in the finish by the underside of the fretboard, and the neck had reverse bow in it that I had to totally slack off the truss rod to correct, and even then, it was still reverse bowed until the string tension pulled a little relief in it. The binding also looked like something a high schooler in shop class did....

On the plus side, the neck-through design makes for a nice stable neck/body interface and contributes to its sustain. It has an ebony fretboard, and it was very slick and hard feeling. The neck felt quite good in my hands--it's not as fat as my Gibson LP's 58 profile, and not as thin as the neck on my Flying V. Not a paper-thin shredder neck, but it's pretty quick. The fretboard felt a hair wider than Gibson specs, even though it's really not. It felt like medium jumbo frets, not too big, not too small, just about right for my taste. IIRC, the scale is 25.5. No fret sprout or sharp ends on mine, although I've played several that would damn near lop your fingers off, the fret ends were so sharp. The tuners were decent--they'd tune up easily and hold tune well...

They are pretty heavy. I love the look of them, and they balance well on your leg or when standing. The heel and cutaway let you have pretty good fret access.

The control layout was pretty good, it's easy to get to. As I recall, the tone control didn't really do too much, but on that guitar, I was always going flat out anyway, so it was OK. The BDSM pickups are hot, with a bit of a scoop to them. They sounded killer paired up with a high-gain amp....

Anyway, all in all, if you get a good one, they are an good guitar that is very playable, but I'd really advise you to either play/inspect before you buy or make sure whoever you get it from has a good return policy just in case.

The good ones are really nice after you get them setup the way you like, and you can really see why BC Rich was so popular in the 70's and 80's, but the bad ones are a crappy plank of wood with strings on top and a few wires underneath.

I sold mine because I got offered a fair bit more for it than I paid. I'll likely get another, but I'll probably get the NJ Classic Bich this time, I'd like something even more pointy than my flying V....

4. rycher

rycher Member

Thanks for the replies. I've been eyeing one on e bay that is new B-stock. They have a picture showing a very small scuff on the lower horn. I e-mailed them and they said that was absolutely the only issue with the guitar, cosmetics or playability wise. They're going for $749.00 at most online dealers and they've got a BIN of $499. So it just seemed like a good deal.

5. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

I think those are built by a Czech company and heard they are very hit and miss.

6. rycher

rycher Member

Thanks, they are suppose to be made in Korea.