Any opinions on the Epiphone Sheraton II

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sonic Reducer, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I've been wanting to get one of these for a while and think I might finally buy the trigger. I'd really like to buy a used one off ebay, but I figure I should try one out in person first. I guess I'll bite the bullet for a new one. Anything in particular I should look out for?

What do you think of these? I'm talking about tone wise and playability?

2. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

I recently played one at a local guitar as well as a new 335, and electronics aside I could see no difference in the fit and finsh between the two, In fact, the 335 bridge post were bent forward!

Check ou this guys clips. Yes, the $10K archtop sounds incredible but the the EPi sounds fine, too.

http://www.mattotten.com/

3. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've got a Sheraton II, that I played for a year, while looking for a 335, that I liked. Although the wood and hardware is always better, on the Gibsons, the quality of my Sheraton was better than many 335's I found hanging in stores. Sheraton II's were made at several different factories in Korea. The ones that I liked best have a serial number begining with an "I". The pickups improved in the past couple of years, but they are not the best. The same can be said for the pots. You may need to replace both.

I eventually ended up buying a Heritage 535, but still use my Sheraton for teaching. It still has the original pickups and pots, still with no scratchyness. It's my guitar of choice, when playing outdoor concerts, in high heat, humidity, and brutal Florida sun. Tuning is stable under the worst conditions.

4. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

My buddy's had one for quite some time now (at least 8 or 9 years) and it's a nice playing guitar - very solid. Definitely needed new pups, though!

5. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

For almost two years an Epi Sheraton II has been my only guitar (for the last two months it has the companion of a handbuilt tele :) ).

I got it on a good deal and couldn't ask for a better guitar. Even though I don't have much experience with high end guitars, after a good setup it plays just like a friend's late 60s ES-345. Tonewise? It's 335 all the way. I've been wnating to try humbucker sized P90s on this guitar too.

I'll echo the general advices here. Found a used one and upgrade to your specs and likes. It sure is a great player...

6. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I got mine in 1991. The pick ups were terrible and the nut slots were cut so narrow that they pinched the strings and any slight movement of the neck made the guitar go out of tune.

I put in the Duncan combo of an SH-2 (jazz pickup) and and SH-4. Now the guitar truly takes you from clean jazz to great sustain and distortion.

I will (someday) probably put on some Grover tuners- the stock ones just feel cheap - but it hasn't been necessary.

While my favorite guitar changes from week to week, the Sheraton II is definitely in the loop.

I heard the new ones are better, but I haven't tried one. I saw a picture of the Edge with one - if that means anything.

BOO - HAH! to Discountsounds

7. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

I did something very similar -- check this out:

http://www.thenglishchannel.com/img/sheraton.jpg

The bigsby replaced the original frequensator tailpiece, so there are no stud-plugs... I replaced ALL the electronics -- it now has TV Jones TV'trons and a Gretsch Master volume wiring harness. The neck is a little thin for me (I tend to like a fat, boatneck countour), but the guitar sounds wonderful. This one is from the '80s, Made in Japan, not Korea. Very nice build quality... I played a current production ES-335 recently, and sadly, was not much impressed...

8. smalahove

smalahove Member

+1

I had a Sheraton II with Gibson pups and a Bigsby. That was a real killer combo! I also had the same experience when comparing the Sheraton II I owned to many/most of the 335s I've tried in different stores.

Go for it :dude

9. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

I played a MIJ from the 80's at a Guitar Show last year and they only wanted $650! It had the frequensator tailpeice and was very light and resonant like my (long gone) 67 335. I should have jumped on it! I emailed the guy and he never responded...:-(

BTY does anyone know anything about a current model but the lighter sunburst like the Elite series? A local musci store has one but at the same list price as the Sheraton II's!

10. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

The pickups in mine were decent but they seemed to vary wildly in tone between the few I tried in the shop before buying. I gutted mine and put new pots and Seth Lovers in it. I also had it refretted and a bone nut installed to get the action where I like it. Top it off with 12-56 flat wounds and it is one smokin' jazz box. I had tried 11-49 round wounds but never fell in love with them. The flat wounds made all the difference for me.