Any opinions on the Fender Eric Clapton Tremolux?

edcat

Haven't heard much about the Fender EC Tremolux. Is it really much different than the 57 Tweed Deluxe RI? How does it rate with boutique 5E3s?

solitaire

Haven't heard much about the Fender EC Tremolux. Is it really much different than the 57 Tweed Deluxe RI? How does it rate with boutique 5E3s?
From what I've heard it's the same amp as the Tweed Deluxe RI + the trem and EC name on it.

I played it and loved it so much I went home and put both of my current amps up for sale locally to save up for it. Haven't got there yet, but I was actually gonna stop and play it again today just to make sure I wasn't crazy. I had been using a tweed NOS fender blues junior for that kind of sound and when I a/b them in the store the difference was night and day. Granted, one is a 2k amp and the other a 600$ amp. I have not tried the tweed deluxe mentioned in this thread though. Maybe I should.

BaldPaul

From Fender's site "Switchable output power attenuator — reduces the speaker's output if desired"
I like Fender doing these reissue/redesigns. Adding power scaling etc to already proven combos.
All the reviews I've read of these make em sound great. Hope its true.
Is a SRV Vibroverb out of the question? hehe

I thought it had power scaling, too.
Yes it does. IMO it didn't sound nearly as good in the lower mode, but it DID cut the power back like you'd expect. The speaker and cab sound really good and the quality of the amp really comes out when you play it at the full 12 watts and turn it up about half way, just before it breaks up too much. Pure creamy tone with bell like clarity and tight bottom end. Again, I was floored by it. Loved it. The tremolo in it also sounds so creamy.

edcat

Played a 57 RI and liked it. I know the EC has the trem and power reduction but wondered if they added any other improvements to affect the tone.

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
I played it briefly in the store while testing some pedals. I remember really liking it and I've spent some time with my friend's Vick 2012. I checked behind the amp to see why it felt so different and noticed it was loaded with a Celestion G12-65! Mystery solved, I've gone through a speaker search for my own amp and ended up liking Celestion G12-65's the most. I haven't really heard of people using g12-65's in a tweed deluxe but it works out well here. The trem is cool too.

Last edited:

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
I'd like to see a gut shot, as they say this is hand wired. I have heard it is not the same as the 57 deluxe reissue, and that part of the difference is that it is actually handwired. Our local dealer feels burned on the 57 and is reluctant to order one. I'd sure like to see a gut shot!

myke232

Sorry for off topic - I have the Vibro Champ EC and it's amazing!
Is the vibro champ tone similar to the tremolux, or is it completely different?

I want the VC badly... just trying to make completely sure before I take the plunge! How loud is it on the low power mode with the volume up so that there is distortion?

mototpsychel

How did it compare to the Vicky? I've been considering one of those too.
I had both at the same time to compare and although it was close I ended up going with the Fender. Both were great with my Tele, but the ec was better with humbuckers. While having just as pure a tone as the Vic, the Fender offered a use-able tone control and amazing tremolo.

EC insisted that it feature the original output tube bias 'Vibrato' tremolo circuits found on older tweeds and after playing it you can see why.

I love the amp and remain quite happy with the purchase two months on.

Resonance7

Only played for a short while with a Gretsch Electrojet (which I'm not familiar with on any amp)..It sounds ok, but the trem severely needs a speed AND depth control. The Trem was too limited.

Imo..Fender really could step it up. Hard to support a company past it's prime...

mototpsychel

Only played for a short while with a Gretsch Electrojet (which I'm not familiar with on any amp)..It sounds ok, but the trem severely needs a speed AND depth control. The Trem was too limited.

Imo..Fender really could step it up. Hard to support a company past it's prime...
It has a speed control.

IceTre

Silver Supporting Member
Found this thread on a search, no updates since July, just curious if you bought one? Also curious to know if anyone has done an A/B comparison to 5E3-based boutiques and 5E3 kits?

Also wondering about the lack of depth control on the tremolo. Apparently it's just on or off, at a preset depth. I guess EC has a depth he likes and just had it hardwired to that level. Wondering if anybody who owns one of these finds that to be a problem?

Trending Topics